Chain completely shot - Page 2 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Difficult to tell if the chain needs replacing from the pics, but concur with @amoslws sprocket does not look excessively worn to require replacement yet, but everything does look dirty and in need of a cleaning.

But if you do replace the chain, also replace sprockets as a set with the chain as several noted.

My chain has over 12,000 miles, has required tightening once, and looks almost new. Thinking I’ll get about 20K miles out of it, and then will replace sprockets and chain as a set.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Thanks for all the replies!

Chain has been properly cleaned, tightened to spec and lubed with Motul Road+ which is a wax-type of lubrication. I have shot a video down below for better assessment.

So, reason I'm considering only replacing the chain is because the sprockets seem to be in quite good condition and it would make the job hella lot easier and cheaper.

But if I do replace the sprockets, could some kind soul give me some guidance as I do not wish to pay 700USD to do so?

I have still not understood the need to remove the rear wheel. Here's the way I imagine the rear sprocket being removed:

1. Put engine in gear, ask someone to hold rear brake and remove big center nut on sprocket side.

2. Cut and remove chain.

3. Remove the rear sprocket assembly

4. Once removed, disassemble the sprocket from the sprocket holder.

5. Assemble the new sprocket onto sprocket holder and put everything back together.

Am I missing something here?

Regarding the front sprocket I'm not exactly sure how I should do to remove it. Any suggestions? I saw a video of a neat way to wrap the chain around the rear axle bolt but that seems to only work on double-sided swing arms.

Last edited by karishh; 07-16-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:52 AM
SuperSport Master

NO YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE REAR WHEEL TO REMOVE THE SPROCKET.

My advice to you is never use the gearbox to hold the wheel when removing or tightening the nuts.Use the rear brake ONLY.
Ok so the rear sprocket has cush drives. You'll need a 14mm Allen key to the back of those cush drives whilst you loosen the nuts on the sprocket carrier.

If you are doing both sprockets then use the existing chain to hold the front sprocket by holding the rear brake before you tackle the rear or remove the chain.

Impulse drives some people to get the chain off first because they want the satisfaction but using the chain to remove the other bits is wiser.

For the rear nut, You'll need the T60 and C-spanner to release the chain tension before you can remove the rear sprocket from its splines. Powerbar and 55mm socket for the rear nut. Torque spec is 230nm but I give it 210nm and some copper slip or lithium based grease.
For the front, Powerbar and 32mm socket. I use a large blunt wood chisel to flatten the securing washer... and again use some lithium based grease when replacing the front nut. Torque spec is 180nm.
Snowboard Duke likes this.

Last edited by amoslws; 07-16-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 AM
Knee Dragger

I'm going to side with Amos on everything, but in particular the sprockets. Even if the chain lasts half the time, that's still 6 or 7,000+ miles, which is a lot of riding time. I change my sprockets every other chain, after a good inspection of the sprockets.

Also, I only get steel sprockets so the last longer.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
I'm going to side with Amos on everything, but in particular the sprockets. Even if the chain lasts half the time, that's still 6 or 7,000+ miles, which is a lot of riding time. I change my sprockets every other chain, after a good inspection of the sprockets.
If the ducati sprockets are cheaper then it's not an issue, but hellsbells the cost of a rear sprocket outweighs the cost of a second chain later...
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
If the ducati sprockets are cheaper then it's not an issue, but hellsbells the cost of a rear sprocket outweighs the cost of a second chain later...
And if you go with a new rear hub and cush bolts, expect it to more than triple the cost. I'll save that expense for the 3rd chain.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post

Also, I only get steel sprockets so the last longer.
This is my method and recommendation as well. You are certainly not wrong to swap chain and sprockets together but if you use use a good quality, steel sprocket, there is no reason not to do 2 chains per set of sprockets.

I normally get 15k-20k miles on a new set of chain and sprockets and the second chain only replacement normally goes around 12-15k. To me, thatís a no brainer.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Elbow Dragger

whooaa..... you guys are throwing me for a loop. You're saying the sprockets cost as much as the chain? What?

John L
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
whooaa..... you guys are throwing me for a loop. You're saying the sprockets cost as much as the chain? What?
Yup, those age long principles of changing sprockets with the chain go out the window once you realise the cost of unnecessarily changing the rear sprocket.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
Yup, those age long principles of changing sprockets with the chain go out the window once you realise the cost of unnecessarily changing the rear sprocket.

....well not unnecessary from a wear perspective but perhaps not cost effective.

I'd like to see the numbers and why sprockets costs more for Ducs.

John L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page