Chain completely shot - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Chain completely shot

Hi fellow Ducatistas,

I feel like in a fairly short time my chain has gone from being OK to completely shot. It could also be that I have simply not been very attentive and that it has been more or less shot for a while but now has become very apparent. If you look at the attached pictures you can see that the chain lifts of the rear sprocket quite a lot when pulled and it moves almost 2cm sideways both ways at the slackest part. I adjusted the chain only a month ago and again a few weeks before that.

I got the bike May 2017 and it has now gone 17.000 km (10.500 miles). Since then I have done one ~4.000km trip to Norway with luggage and 5 track days. I also drive "inspired" (as we say in Sweden) on public roads. I would say that I've lubricated and cleaned the chain frequently, about every 500km, even though it might not look so in the pictures. I use Motul Road+ chain lube.

Question 1:
Do you consider this normal wear? In my mind I was expecting the chain to last much longer.

Question 2:
What state would you say that the sprocket is in? Does it also need replacing or is it enough to replace the chain?

Question 3:
How difficult is it to replace chain and sprockets? I've done it on my old Honda VFR without issue but it seems it's more difficult on an SS. I haven't quite understood the need to remove the rear wheel and why this would makes it easier. Has someone replaced their sprockets and chain on the SS? Could you explain the process?

Question 4:
Should I go for OEM chain and sprockets? It would cost me 350USD for the parts and the dealer would charge me another 350USD for the replacement. Any recommendations of better quality sprockets/chains that can be ordered within EU? Also, how many links are in an SS chain?

Edit:
There's actually a Swedish site that offers plenty of chains (but not sprockets). Any in the link below that you would recommend? I have sorted by highest price.

https://www.xlmoto.se/mc-delar/drev-...1&s=price_dest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_094516.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	38028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_094523.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	38030  

Last edited by karishh; 07-15-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by karishh View Post
Hi fellow Ducatistas,

I feel like in a fairly short time my chain has gone from being OK to completely shot. It could also be that I have simply not been very attentive and that it has been more or less shot for a while but now has become very apparent. If you look at the attached pictures you can see that the chain lifts of the rear sprocket quite a lot when pulled and it moves almost 2cm sideways both ways at the slackest part. I adjusted the chain only a month ago and again a few weeks before that.

I got the bike May 2017 and it has now gone 17.000 km (10.500 miles). Since then I have done one ~4.000km trip to Norway with luggage and 5 track days. I also drive "inspired" (as we say in Sweden) on public roads. I would say that I've lubricated and cleaned the chain frequently, about every 500km, even though it might not look so in the pictures. I use Motul Road+ chain lube.

Question 1:
Do you consider this normal wear? In my mind I was expecting the chain to last much longer.

Question 2:
What state would you say that the sprocket is in? Does it also need replacing or is it enough to replace the chain?

Question 3:
How difficult is it to replace chain and sprockets? I've done it on my old Honda VFR without issue but it seems it's more difficult on an SS. I haven't quite understood the need to remove the rear wheel and why this would makes it easier. Has someone replaced their sprockets and chain on the SS? Could you explain the process?

Question 4:
Should I go for OEM chain and sprockets? It would cost me 350USD for the parts and the dealer would charge me another 350USD for the replacement. Any recommendations of better quality sprockets/chains that can be ordered within EU? Also, how many links are in an SS chain?

Edit:
There's actually a Swedish site that offers plenty of chains (but not sprockets). Any in the link below that you would recommend? I have sorted by highest price.

https://www.xlmoto.se/mc-delar/drev-...1&s=price_dest
Rear sprocket still looks fine. If the links still move relatively freely then I would clean it and tighten it up.
Ed K and NothingClever like this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM
Chicken Strips

If the chain has loosened so much in such a short time, I would disagree with Amos and replace it. You might consider reusing the sprockets but I’ve always replaced both chain and sprockets at the same time as I’ve been told worn sprockets can make a new chain wear out faster. Seems people have differing opinions on this though.

As for the chains from XLmoto, be aware that the SS chain is a 520 so all the 530 and 525 chains are not for our bike. The DID ERV3 is very good, from what I’ve been told it’s basically the same chain as what most MotoGP teams use. They use the ERV4 which is hand built, but otherwise very close to the ERV3 which is mass produced. You can find it cheaper on eBay though.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)

Last edited by Dino de Laurentiis; 07-15-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Yes, I'm definitely going to replace the chain. As I said it has a lot of sideways movement. Perhaps I'll keep the rear sprocket but will have to inspect the front sprocket still. Any good tips on how to remove the front sprocket easily if I were to replace it? Is the SS chain 122 links long?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Training Wheels

10,500 mls seems like a very short life for the chain. I have nearly 10,000 mls on mine and it still feels like new. Perhaps the first owner was lax in maintaining it.

I always replace chain and sprockets together.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Elbow Dragger

I've mentioned this before:

1) OEM chains are usually substandard. They're aren't all bad but the quality is spotty.

2) Replace the sprockets. No matter how the sprockets look, it's been my experience a replacement chain will last half as long. Why go to the expense and bother without going ahead replacing the sprockets?

3) Get a quality "o"ring chain. I've had great luck with EK brand.

4) Be attentive about chain maintenance. It's been my experience that more chains have ruined by over tightening them rather than neglect. Look for the tight spot in the chain. That will require a rear stand and careful maintenance. (I've had rear tires replaced at shops and the chains were to tight when I brought it home and that's by professional mechanics.)

At 7k miles, my chain is wearing evenly. I've only adjusted it once.
Derek likes this.

John L
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Training Wheels

Doesn't look that bad for 10000 miles if you ride hard.
Your rollers look dry. Sealed chains don't really need lubricant on the orings. They do need grease in the rollers so make sure you are soaking up the rollers good.

2018 Ducati Supersport
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
I took mine in recently for bad vibrations and they told me it was my chain. It was kinked a bit and they said it was dry and stiff and needed replaced. Said I needed sprockets and new chain. I am at 24000kms. I lubed a few times but tech said he's be lubing every 500 kms or so. That normal?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Chicken Strips

When I have to replace my rear sprocket I may go with a quick remove system so that you don't have to take off the rear tire to do so in the future.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Training Wheels

I replaced the chain two months ago on my Multistrada with the 15,000 mile service. Mechanic said it was overdue on Multistrada. Probably should have changed at 10,000 mi.

Last weekend I replaced the chain on my SS S at dealer. Part was $130 plus 1/2 hour of labor. It was NOT an OEM chain. The chain looked fine visually. But when you wiggled the chain, there was chatter. You could hear noise from the chain which is a sign of dryness in o-rings. Since bike was there for annual service, I had them replace it. My bike had over 11,000 miles on odometer.

When we removed the chain, mechanic held it up and it made a smile face (holding end to end). He said there was a lot of play. Chain should have been more straight and not dip down like a happy face. Anyway, I changed it. But it was not immediately obvious from a visual inspection. I have ridden over 1,000 mi on track and may schedule one next month. So, I replaced chain since I was already at the dealership.

So, you may not be able to tell visually, and the chatter noise was very slight.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page