DM:Is Your Motorcycle Chain Worn Out? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,831
Likes Received: 2437
DM:Is Your Motorcycle Chain Worn Out?

amoslws, Rhino and DucColin like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,199
Likes Received: 614
Funny, I cleaned mine yesterday, looked for a tight spot, not much to find, put my tape measure on it and 1 3/8 on the spot. That's about 7500 miles.

So far, so good. I only adjusted it once. It could tighten up at any time. Will it make 12k?
Ed K and Miweber929 like this.

John L
LowRyter is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Training Wheels
 
jasonss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 56
Likes Received: 49
My last Monster 1200 I kinda neglected a bit. 600 mile lube and 1200 mile clean. It had a couple of tight links. Was not pretty.
With my new Supersport, I have been lubing every 300 mile and clean 600 mile.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
jasonss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,831
Likes Received: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonss View Post
My last Monster 1200 I kinda neglected a bit. 600 mile lube and 1200 mile clean. It had a couple of tight links. Was not pretty.
With my new Supersport, I have been lubing every 300 mile and clean 600 mile.
Everyone has their own cycle for these things that depends on so many factors, but I do a "dry clean" (use recycled toothbrushes and a cloth to brush and wipe chain and sprockets) and lube every 200 miles, if the bike is not in the rain. Little excessive, but doesn't take that long.

I use a toothbrush, because little concerned about those hard-bristle nylon or metal brushes damaging the chain seals.
NothingClever likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Knee Dragger
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 879
Likes Received: 695
Good info. I always just used signs of rust, tight links/spots, and click clacking to determine a chain was shot.

I do my lubing every 500ish miles, just with a wipe down as I spray it. If this method makes for a shorter chain life, I don't care. I'd rather change it a little more frequently than to be down on my knees every couple of days cleaning for 15 minutes.
Ed K, Rhino, tea2jay and 2 others like this.
1uglybastard is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Training Wheels
 
jasonss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 56
Likes Received: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Everyone has their own cycle for these things that depends on so many factors, but I do a "dry clean" (use recycled toothbrushes and a cloth to brush and wipe chain and sprockets) and lube every 200 miles, if the bike is not in the rain. Little excessive, but doesn't take that long.

I use a toothbrush, because little concerned about those hard-bristle nylon or metal brushes damaging the chain seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Good info. I always just used signs of rust, tight links/spots, and click clacking to determine a chain was shot.

I do my lubing every 500ish miles, just with a wipe down as I spray it. If this method makes for a shorter chain life, I don't care. I'd rather change it a little more frequently than to be down on my knees every couple of days cleaning for 15 minutes.
What I found is Maxima Chain Cleaner. It's a water based cleaner so I use it when I wash my bike every 600 miles. Very easy to use just spray on, brush with a chain brush and then rinse off. No need to wipe the chain with a towel.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
jasonss is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,199
Likes Received: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Everyone has their own cycle for these things that depends on so many factors, but I do a "dry clean" (use recycled toothbrushes and a cloth to brush and wipe chain and sprockets) and lube every 200 miles, if the bike is not in the rain. Little excessive, but doesn't take that long.

I use a toothbrush, because little concerned about those hard-bristle nylon or metal brushes damaging the chain seals.
Toothbrush on the chain? Man that's anal. Hope you get another 50 miles out of it.

A rag and kerosene (or WD40) is just for us slackers.

Jason... +1 on Maxima Chain Wax. My can is getting a little thin, I've only had it for 15 years. (It Smells Like Victory)
Ed K and Rhino like this.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 07-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
LowRyter is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:39 AM
Training Wheels
 
jasonss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 56
Likes Received: 49
Also, O-ring chains you really don't need to lube the o-ring areas. I usually just spray a light coat to protect the rust from forming.
The main thing you need to lubricate is the rollers. I use the straw to allow the lube to load up the rollers so that they get plenty of lube.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
jasonss is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,831
Likes Received: 2437
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Toothbrush on the chain? Man that's anal. Hope you get another 50 miles out of it.

A rag and kerosene (or WD40) is just for us slackers.

Jason... +1 on Maxima Chain Wax. My can is getting a little thin, I've only had it for 15 years. (It Smells Like Victory)
Haha, yeah... tbh, its actually several(!) toothbrushes per dry chain cleaning/lubing. I have a supply of toothbrushes that I recycle since I go through soft toothbrushes quickly. I know, I know tmi (too much info, haha)...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Training Wheels
 
jasonss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 56
Likes Received: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Haha, yeah... tbh, its actually several(!) toothbrushes per dry chain cleaning/lubing. I have a supply of toothbrushes that I recycle since I go through soft toothbrushes quickly. I know, I know tmi (too much info, haha)...
IDK if brushing a dirty chain is a good idea or not. It's kinda like spreading dirt infused grease back onto the chain.

2018 Ducati Supersport
jasonss is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome