post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

DM:Is Your Motorcycle Chain Worn Out?

amoslws, Rhino and DucColin like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Elbow Dragger

Funny, I cleaned mine yesterday, looked for a tight spot, not much to find, put my tape measure on it and 1 3/8 on the spot. That's about 7500 miles.

So far, so good. I only adjusted it once. It could tighten up at any time. Will it make 12k?
Ed K and Miweber929 like this.

John L
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM
Training Wheels

My last Monster 1200 I kinda neglected a bit. 600 mile lube and 1200 mile clean. It had a couple of tight links. Was not pretty.
With my new Supersport, I have been lubing every 300 mile and clean 600 mile.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonss View Post
My last Monster 1200 I kinda neglected a bit. 600 mile lube and 1200 mile clean. It had a couple of tight links. Was not pretty.
With my new Supersport, I have been lubing every 300 mile and clean 600 mile.
Everyone has their own cycle for these things that depends on so many factors, but I do a "dry clean" (use recycled toothbrushes and a cloth to brush and wipe chain and sprockets) and lube every 200 miles, if the bike is not in the rain. Little excessive, but doesn't take that long.

I use a toothbrush, because little concerned about those hard-bristle nylon or metal brushes damaging the chain seals.
NothingClever likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Knee Dragger

Good info. I always just used signs of rust, tight links/spots, and click clacking to determine a chain was shot.

I do my lubing every 500ish miles, just with a wipe down as I spray it. If this method makes for a shorter chain life, I don't care. I'd rather change it a little more frequently than to be down on my knees every couple of days cleaning for 15 minutes.
Ed K, Rhino, tea2jay and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Everyone has their own cycle for these things that depends on so many factors, but I do a "dry clean" (use recycled toothbrushes and a cloth to brush and wipe chain and sprockets) and lube every 200 miles, if the bike is not in the rain. Little excessive, but doesn't take that long.

I use a toothbrush, because little concerned about those hard-bristle nylon or metal brushes damaging the chain seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Good info. I always just used signs of rust, tight links/spots, and click clacking to determine a chain was shot.

I do my lubing every 500ish miles, just with a wipe down as I spray it. If this method makes for a shorter chain life, I don't care. I'd rather change it a little more frequently than to be down on my knees every couple of days cleaning for 15 minutes.
What I found is Maxima Chain Cleaner. It's a water based cleaner so I use it when I wash my bike every 600 miles. Very easy to use just spray on, brush with a chain brush and then rinse off. No need to wipe the chain with a towel.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:

Toothbrush on the chain? Man that's anal. Hope you get another 50 miles out of it.

A rag and kerosene (or WD40) is just for us slackers.

Jason... +1 on Maxima Chain Wax. My can is getting a little thin, I've only had it for 15 years. (It Smells Like Victory)
Ed K and Rhino like this.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 07-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:39 AM
Training Wheels

Also, O-ring chains you really don't need to lube the o-ring areas. I usually just spray a light coat to protect the rust from forming.
The main thing you need to lubricate is the rollers. I use the straw to allow the lube to load up the rollers so that they get plenty of lube.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Toothbrush on the chain? Man that's anal. Hope you get another 50 miles out of it.

A rag and kerosene (or WD40) is just for us slackers.

Jason... +1 on Maxima Chain Wax. My can is getting a little thin, I've only had it for 15 years. (It Smells Like Victory)
Haha, yeah... tbh, its actually several(!) toothbrushes per dry chain cleaning/lubing. I have a supply of toothbrushes that I recycle since I go through soft toothbrushes quickly. I know, I know tmi (too much info, haha)...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Haha, yeah... tbh, its actually several(!) toothbrushes per dry chain cleaning/lubing. I have a supply of toothbrushes that I recycle since I go through soft toothbrushes quickly. I know, I know tmi (too much info, haha)...
IDK if brushing a dirty chain is a good idea or not. It's kinda like spreading dirt infused grease back onto the chain.

2018 Ducati Supersport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page