Coolant leak - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Coolant leak

My SSS has a bad coolant leak dropped it off for warranty last Friday. It must be pretty bad because they called a few days later and said that they will have to tear it down pretty good. Earliest I'll get it back is the 16th!! I wonder if the expansion tank is cracked if it is that shouldnt be too hard to replace.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by prybra07 View Post
My SSS has a bad coolant leak dropped it off for warranty last Friday. It must be pretty bad because they called a few days later and said that they will have to tear it down pretty good. Earliest I'll get it back is the 16th!! I wonder if the expansion tank is cracked if it is that shouldnt be too hard to replace.
Did you not have a look where the leak is? You're the owner, surely you'd want to know where coolant is coming from.
Grossi.BP likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Would not think it's the expansion tank either...that would be a quick replace. Sounds like tear down, unfortunately.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Please keep us posted...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 AM
Elbow Dragger

I doubt if the expansion tank would crack, it's not pressurised. Most likely source of a leak is one of the many hose clips.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

If I was on my back under the bike I could see that it was coming from way up in the bike. Somewhere between the rear cylinder and the expansion tank area. That area is quite crowded so it was difficult to see exactly. It was dripping down onto the exhaust heat shield and following that until it dripped on the ground just behind the drip tubes. The only plus of this is that it's coming up on it's seasonal oil change. I need to change the airfilter and since they are taking the tank off anyway they will swap it for me.
Ed K likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:08 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
If I was on my back under the bike I could see that it was coming from way up in the bike. Somewhere between the rear cylinder and the expansion tank area. That area is quite crowded so it was difficult to see exactly. It was dripping down onto the exhaust heat shield and following that until it dripped on the ground just behind the drip tubes. The only plus of this is that it's coming up on it's seasonal oil change. I need to change the airfilter and since they are taking the tank off anyway they will swap it for me.
OK that makes a bit more sense. From the top of the reservoir there's an overflow pipe feeding into the reservoir. That pipe is fed from the the overflow in the radiator and has flimsy clamps on both ends
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Well the word is in. There was a hole in the line that returns to the expansion tank. I asked how that could happen she said it was probably road debris that hit it. I find that hard to believe... They gave me some crap about how my warranty is expired even though I purchased the bike in September so it's got another month left. My extended warranty of course does not cover hoses... Luckily Ducati decided to "good will" it and cover the repair. The hose was 160$ and I don't even want to think about the service fee. Now I've just got to wait three days for the part to get there and then put everything back together. Probably won't be able to pick her up until next Friday.
Ed K and Rhino like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Well the word is in. There was a hole in the line that returns to the expansion tank. I asked how that could happen she said it was probably road debris that hit it. I find that hard to believe... They gave me some crap about how my warranty is expired even though I purchased the bike in September so it's got another month left. My extended warranty of course does not cover hoses... Luckily Ducati decided to "good will" it and cover the repair. The hose was 160$ and I don't even want to think about the service fee. Now I've just got to wait three days for the part to get there and then put everything back together. Probably won't be able to pick her up until next Friday.
$160 for a small hose? My goodness. It would be cool to get a photo of it after they remove it and give it to you.
Ed K and Grossi.BP like this.

John L
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Interesting...warranty dates should be objective. Anyway, great they're covering it.

Thanks for letting us know. It is surprising to have a hole in that line. As Low mentioned, if poss to post a pic, that would be helpful.
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page