Has it really been 15,000 kms? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 24Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Has it really been 15,000 kms?

Noticed a slight weep from around the rear damper.

Had a look at my records and it's just short of 15,000 kilometres since I had my suspension serviced and 'heavier' springs fitted to the forks so decided it was time to get it serviced again.

I can't believe the difference! You don't realise how much the suspension deteriorates until you get it serviced. They replaced fork seals as a precaution, the weepy rear seal and wiper. The oil was pretty shagged, front and rear.

My tip: if your bike is getting the miles up, consider getting the oil changed irrespective of whether you are running Ohlins or Sachs/ Marzocchi suspension. Getting forced through tiny orifices is not good for oil.

I asked about the leaky seal at the back and they expressed surprise. They said that Ohlins generally lasts well (unlike the claims of some) but thought the heat might well have affected the seal.

Next up is the 25,000 k Ducati service (it's been nearly a year and 14,500 k since the last service, although I do oils and filter every 5,000 k).
Ed K, Rhino, Duke of Desmo and 3 others like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Elbow Dragger

I am a believer in servicing suspension once it leaks. I have 11k on my SS and it seems fine. After nearly 300k motorcycle miles, I've never felt a difference after changing suspension oil even after a seal was weeping for weeks or for (one bike) years.

I will admit I've never owned a bike with Ohlins so I have limited experience and have no opinion about S models.
theresanothersteve likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 01:22 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Surely thereís not that much difference in fluid life, etc. between fork manufactures. I believe they all work in a similar manner. If Iím wrong, I stand corrected.
On my mountain bike, Iíve used Push Industries services to custom valve Fox products. Made tremendous difference in performance for that application.
Rhino and theresanothersteve like this.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefoot64 View Post
Surely thereís not that much difference in fluid life, etc. between fork manufactures. I believe they all work in a similar manner. If Iím wrong, I stand corrected.
On my mountain bike, Iíve used Push Industries services to custom valve Fox products. Made tremendous difference in performance for that application.
Totally agree. They absorb the same bumps and, one would expect, go up and down the same number of times. Damping works the same, irrespective of brand, forcing oil through small holes to convert inertia into heat.

I canít see the point in buying a scalpel and letting the edge dull...
Miweber929 likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 03:41 AM
SuperSport Master

Have my 30000km Desmo service due and will be having my suspension serviced by podium racing at the same time. I am currently changing chain and sprocket (front only surprisingly the rear is still fine.) I have a big ride in 2 weeks if the floods allow then she goes in for the big nip and tuck. I expect her to be like new again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Have my 30000km Desmo service due and will be having my suspension serviced by podium racing at the same time. I am currently changing chain and sprocket (front only surprisingly the rear is still fine.) I have a big ride in 2 weeks if the floods allow then she goes in for the big nip and tuck. I expect her to be like new again.
that's 30000 km on the original sprockets and chain?

the front on my CB500X wore out way before my rear as well, but due to off roading creating a stretched link causing tightness in the chain. This caused the chain to really dig into the front sprocket, and since it's smaller, the teeth had to take on more of the tension force, whereas the rear sprocket had more teeth to absorb the same force. Each front tooth is now shaped like a wave instead of a symmetrical mountain. I'll post pics whenever I get around to replacing it.
Rhino likes this.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 02-14-2020 at 11:06 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 12:24 PM
Elbow Dragger

I've never felt any difference before or after changing fork oil.

I do recommend changing it once the seals weep.
Sin likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Unread 02-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Sin
Training Wheels

Itís recommended to change the oil around 15-20k miles. I had a refresh of oil at 20k miles, and new ohlins springs at 35k miles with new oil... didnít feel any different. The rear never needed a rebuild, even at 35k miles. The biggest difference was a proper set up for my weight. Dust seals my need changing a few times though...

If I had only done 15,000km on a rear or front shock and it was leaking, I wouldnít be happy.
LowRyter likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Training Wheels

Suspentions are still a mystery to me. I have 27,000 miles on a KTM 990 Super Duke, and just recently, had the fork fluid changed because of the mileage, and age, it had to be shot. I can't tell any difference; except now the front end squeaks. I wish I had let it alone. (I took the forks off and took them to a local shop)

"Feel" is not a standard unit of measure. The forks, after a fluid change, may indeed be better. But I often wonder, When someone changes brake fluid, or fork fluid, or the air filter, etc.... how much of what is felt is really the placebo effect?

Why doesn't the front shock fluid on my pick up truck need to be changed at 20,000 miles? Why doesn't the rear shock on a motorcycle require fluid change at the same interval?

Why can you see thru glass? Why can you see a reflection of yourself in a mirror? So much I don't understand.
Rhino and LowRyter like this.

Ride Fast
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Knee Dragger

I've always waited for the seals to leak to change the fluid and seals. Never been an issue and never felt a difference.

I now always use OEM seals. I once used aftermarket, and they leaked after 3 weeks.
LowRyter likes this.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; Yesterday at 08:07 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page