Anyone using 100% gasoline? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Anyone using 100% gasoline?

Historically, I only use 93% premium unleaded fuel in the bike but had a friend say he switched to 100% gasoline and believed it made a difference in the engine performance. Was a little vague on exactly what was actually better and I was pressed for time so I didn’t get too far into the details. Curious if anyone here is using 100% gas and can see a performance improvement.
Thanks!

Regards,
Chris

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:12 PM
SuperSport Master

I only use 91 Octane. I've got my choice of all-gas and gasohol. Can't see that all-gas vs gas + alky makes any difference. I know some folks don't like alky in the gas, I've had no real problem with it.

I remember a Harley rider tagging along on a trip and was complaining that he couldn't find 100% gas. I finally said, "you'll burn it all out by our next gas stop". Of course the snowflake had to run gasohol all weekend until we got home. I don't how much longer the Harley survived but he was on a Harley the next time I rode with his a couple of years later. Don't know if it was the same one or not. Maybe she blowed-up?
macraige likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I would, but 93 octane 100% gas not easy to find here, itís usually regular or mid-grade.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
On the SS I use 92 octane pump gas, but my other bikes all get clear gas. There's a few gas stations near me that carry it, we keep 15 gallons in the garage to fill up with if we're not heading towards one of them on our way somewhere.

Ducati learned their lesson in recall costs with not preparing their bikes for blended gas in the 2000's. Everything they make now is blend-safe, save for the fuel level sensor apparently. Prior to that there all sots of issues with the plastics in the fuel stream degrading or plastic tanks swelling. They've switched back to metal wherever they could, and use safe plastic elsewhere.

The bikes that get clear gas are my track-only bike (a 2000's Ducati), my 1994 900SS, and my wife's 2014 Guzzi V7 Racer (because she insists on it). I also use it in the 2017 SS when I take it to the track, because all my gas cans are full of it already.

If you're having a hard time finding it, try https://www.pure-gas.org. They list all the stations that regularly carry clear gas, and have an app on Android and Apple that will map them out for you based on your location data.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 AM
Knee Dragger

I try to run oxy free gas when I can because my bikes sit so much between riding and thatís when the ethanol comes into play. Ethanol attracts water so if your bikes sit for a week or two at a time between rides, finding non-oxy gas can be beneficial to how it runs and motor longevity.

As far as normal riding and performance, I personally have not seen, felt, heard it experienced anything different between the two as long as I ran it out. I have, however, experienced poor running with 10% ethanol fuel, without stabilizing it, after just 3 weeks of sitting. And other times after stabilizing the fuel and sitting 4 months.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 PM
SuperSport Master

I think we only get 100%. Never ever seen ethanol published or advertised here. This whole E10 melarky had me quite confused when I originally got the SS then it was all nicely explained how other countries rip off their public by adding alcohol. Ahem.. gotta love the third world.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 01:18 PM
SuperSport Master

Yeah, we gotta lot of feeder corn here, Amos. Even more so since the China embargo. They're always looking for markets for the stuff, chemicals, cattle & pig feed, corn oil substitutes, fuel, etc. So several states require that crap in the gas. As I said, I've never had a problem with it but it is what it is.

You can't eat it, that's what sweet corn is for.

Hopefully, we'll have legal hemp here which has more uses and is better for the environment. Of course, then there'd be competition.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Training Wheels

In France we have 98% octane and the 95 is blend with alcool, 10%. Some says that it's not really good for the engine but on the ducati manual they approve it.
Some uses 85% ethanol because it's cheaper but it need a engine preparation.
I only put 98% and when I'm in Switzerland I use the shell v power 100 but I didn't make a difference.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Iím aware of the Pure-Gas link, hate to go too far out of my usual route to purchase. On my Airhead BMW, I only use pure gas as it doesnít get used much.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:50 AM
Training Wheels

Gasoline Quality.

uk standard unleaded. is around 95 octane which I understand is the recommended minimum for the Supersport.I have already discovered that she runs smoother and crisper on Shell v power 99 octane.Its superb fuel if you can get it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page