Quickshifter Idiosyncrasy - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Ok I'm getting ready to be called mad by all directions here but this is my findings. The quickshifter on my S model does not like going up from 1st to 2nd (It also hates 5th to 6th and sometimes simply won't even change, could be as I'm keeping revs below 6k still and not hammering it, only even that high up in the gears for testing purposes)

But back to the 1st to 2nd issue. It feels as though it jams into gear then jerks away. Now I've read this is somewhat common in quickshifters from 1st to 2nd due to the timing difference required. I've accepted it and use clutch 1st to 2nd to ensure I look after her gears, but here's the thing. If I'm leaning into a turn and quick shift 1st to 2nd it's silky smooth, every time!!!!!!

Anyone shed some light?? I've played around at different RPM's, speeds, throttle positions etc. but my findings are upright it hates 1st to 2nd regardless, leaning it's silky smooth......every time.
post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Tips:
  1. Don't use it in lower gears. Period. 1st to 2nd is a no go. All other gears are fine.
  2. When shifting, use higher in the rev range. I never use mine below 4k on the tach, usually.

I have had no issue using it when following those tips. Also, I have no idea why it might work better when leaned over...but how leaned over can you be while in first gear?
Motoaudiodoc and Grossi.BP like this.

~David~

post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Tips:
  1. Don't use it in lower gears. Period. 1st to 2nd is a no go. All other gears are fine.
  2. When shifting, use higher in the rev range. I never use mine below 4k on the tach, usually.

I have had no issue using it when following those tips. Also, I have no idea why it might work better when leaned over...but how leaned over can you be while in first gear?
Hi. Yeah so I've been seeing this advice a bit to not use between first and second. This is my first quickshifter and it definitely feels like I'm safer using the clutch between 1&2 (I like to look after my things!)

2nd to 3rd is mostly ok and the rest are smooth as butter apart from 5th to 6th but as I said I'm probably not riding hard enough to truely test that out yet (new engine)

As for your question though of how far leaned over. An example would be taking off from lights and turning, I'll accelerate and tip her over and she loves to quick shift to second seamlessly! Not knee down type low lol but I do enjoy getting her over a bit. I've treid it many times to confirm. I will probably stop now in case it doesn't one day and it causes neautral or a rough change while leaned in accelerating.

Anyways I just find it really weird but something is causing it. Even if it's different technique by me whilst leaned without realizing it, but it is something!

Last edited by MyEMILYSupersportS; 02-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Training Wheels

After break in (600 mi) I have no problems to quickshift from 1->2. I hit occasionally false neutral between 5 & 6. But I'm sure it's my fault not to push it more firmly.

2017 SuperSport S
2014 Monster 1200S
2012 848 Corse (Sold)
2006 749 S (Sold)

Last edited by oBars; 02-16-2018 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Best with high revs (6 and above), smooth road surface...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Training Wheels

The QS needs some miles to break in...I use it sparingly 4th to 6th only, avoid the lower gears until you get some miles on the bike...here's a tip: when the clutch has loosened up and you're able to select neutral easily, the QS will work better.

John
2017 Supersport S, Rosso
Gone but not forgotten: '66 Yamaha Twin-Jet 100, '71 Suzuki X-6 Hustler, '80 Kawa KZ550, '86 Honda VF500-4, '01 Kawa ZRX 1100, '07 Yamaha FZ1
2019 Corvette Stingray, 7-speed manual
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

The increased smoothness when leaned over is a bit of a mystery...

...Since you’re not hammering it yet on the straights, perhaps you might be loading the drive train a bit more when leaning over, resulting in a smoother shift.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Chicken Strips

My bike has 1400 miles on it, QS works fine in all gears, even at lower throttle position. Revs above 4k I would say.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Tips:

I am leaning over when turning right or left from a stop light. I have no problem shifting from 1st to second while leaning in the intersection. I have no issues with any of the shifts. My issue is the quickshifter sometimes gets disabled, and I need to shut off the SS for a couple of minutes. After I restart, the quickshifter is enabled again. On other motorcycles without a quickshifter I have easily shifted up or down without using the clutch except for 2nd to 1st. I was able to manipulate the throttle to facilitate the shifts.

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

It shouldn’t get disabled...have the dealer check it. As I recall, there was at least one other member who had a similar problem and the dealer fixed it.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page