ECU Flashing - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

I know we have an ECU Mapping thread already, but I want this to apply specifically to flashing the ECU, not piggyback fuel controllers such as Power Commander, Rapid Bike, Bazzaz, etc.

Has anyone had it done on the Supersport? It had some big advantages over piggyback systems (and some may say possible disadvantages).

Here is a copy/paste from Rexxer's website of the disadvantages of a piggyback systems that is defeated by flashing the ECU:

- The auxiliary module is dependent on the signals that the original ECU receives. This causes a timedelay (even if only milliseconds) between the signal receivers and the information received by the auxiliary module (injection nozzles, butterfly valve potentiometer, etc.). Thus 100% optimal mapping is not attainable.

- The installation of additional hardware means that there is more possible sources of error.

- An influencing control on injection timing and Spark Advance in "real time" is not possible.

- When increasing the rev limiter by means of an auxiliary module it is not possible to redefine the fuelling, which can lead to fuelling problems and preignition. These parameters are copied from the rev limit of the original map into the inreased range. Therefore the increased rev range is not mapped to attain optimal performance.

- There is no possibility to deactivate or modify the parameters of the Lambda probe.

- The exhaust-valve control cannot be deactivated.

Being able to disable the O2 sensors and eliminate closed loop means you would have a complete tune through the entire RPM range at any throttle position. It would eliminate the complexity of a piggyback trying to trick the ECU to make adjustments to closed loop. It would surely allow for much better low end/mid range power than the OEM map.

My concern with disabling the stock O2 sensors was regarding elevation and whether the bike would adjust air/fuel without them. Dave at Rexxer said the bike would be fine as the pressure and temp sensors would still be active. I still had my doubts so I contacted my local tuner, who I plan to have do some Dyno work for me in the future, and he said basically the same thing:

"As long as the tune is within normal range you will be fine when the O2 are disabled. The bike will be fine at different altitudes, the air pressure, intake manifold pressure, and air temp sensors will compensate."

Dave @ Rexxer claims to have flashed our ECU's and specifically has a tune for the Supersport with the Competition Werkes pipe. However, I haven't heard of anyone on the forums having a flash on our bikes yet. Would be nice to hear from someone who has it.

If you purchase the Rexxer "User" unit you can do the flashing yourself between different maps and the stock map. Rexxer user unit can also retrieve and reset any ECU error codes and reset the service due indicator.

Disadvantages: If you don't buy the "User" unit, you have to ship your ECU in if you need to flash back to stock or adjust the tune.

Discuss!

Last edited by Audi403; 08-08-2018 at 02:38 AM.
post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:33 AM

Garage
I had the same thoughts.
But to use the rexxer, you have to solder inside the ECU. This tops all the disadvantages of a piggypack solution.
I ride for years with PC and never had any problem.
You will not find much more power, but with a couple of hours on the powerbench you can adjust the fuel to your exhaust. You have to tune each cylinder selective.
The engine runs cooler and smooth.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sub'd

2017 Supersport S
QD Exhaust
RapidBike EVO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Meier View Post
I had the same thoughts.
But to use the rexxer, you have to solder inside the ECU. This tops all the disadvantages of a piggypack solution.
I ride for years with PC and never had any problem.
You will not find much more power, but with a couple of hours on the powerbench you can adjust the fuel to your exhaust. You have to tune each cylinder selective.
The engine runs cooler and smooth.
I'll ask Dave about the process and whether it includes soldering. However, I can't remember where I read it but he's done tens of thousands of flashes. He is very experienced and I think the chances of him screwing up the ECU are very small. I've read lots of reviews of his Ducati flashes and the only people who seemed to have problems didn't follow the instructions for install. Most report a way smoother and powerful map.

With that being said, both my current and previous car, have flashed ECU's. The Audi has been flashed since 2013. Before that I ran a boosted/built Honda Civic with an Evo 3 turbo with a chipped/flashed ECU for 5 years, all with no problems related to the ECU. I know that might be comparing apples to oranges, but I'm pretty comfortable with the process.

Dave at Rexxer has been taking the time to answer all my questions promptly and I've been impressed with his customer service at this point.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

It does not sound like his process involves soldering. He also guarantees his work.

"Gary, spring loaded contact pins are used same as the factory for programming. There will be no issue on install and is direct plug and play when returned. I stand behind my work 100% and I'm also an engineer and the first Ducati Master Tech in the world. You are in good hands."

Last edited by Audi403; 08-08-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi403 View Post
It does not sound like his process involves soldering. He also guarantees his work.

"Gary, spring loaded contact pins are used same as the factory for programming. There will be no issue on install and is direct plug and play when returned. I stand behind my work 100% and I'm also an engineer and the first Ducati Master Tech in the world. You are in good hands."
Where will the map be sourced. Dimsport have a flash. Unsure if Rexxer have developed one yet.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
Where will the map be sourced. Dimsport have a flash. Unsure if Rexxer have developed one yet.
It's Rexxer's map. Dave is the owner. I hadn't heard anything about the Dimsport flash but I've been impressed with Dave's quick responses and taking the time to answer all my questions.

What do you know about the Dimsport flash? Anyone running it? Any reason you went with the Rapid Bike instead of that flash?

Last edited by Audi403; 08-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Eds

Garage
Very interested in this, from what I’ve heard from QD is that they are developing a map with Rexxer for the twin gunshot system , hopefully due soon...

Eds
2017 Ducati Supersport
2004 Honda CBR600F
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds View Post
Very interested in this, from what Iíve heard from QD is that they are developing a map with Rexxer for the twin gunshot system , hopefully due soon...
I'm waiting for my replacement Rapid Bike module right now. Yaman offered to exchange it for me. However, seeing as I'm not the only one with a check engine light from it, I doubt it is a defect in the product. I don't expect the new one to work. If it does, I'll go with it. If it doesn't, its for sale and I'm sending my ECU to Dave @ Rexxer for flashing.

In the mean time, I'm getting in as much riding as possible. Cracked 7000km today!
Hugg727 and brucemswan like this.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi403 View Post
It's Rexxer's map. Dave is the owner. I hadn't heard anything about the Dimsport flash but I've been impressed with Dave's quick responses and taking the time to answer all my questions.

What do you know about the Dimsport flash? Anyone running it? Any reason you went with the Rapid Bike instead of that flash?
Yes dimsport have a flash available. My reason for not flashing is for two reasons, Ducati will void warranty on the bike ( no biggie for me because I have already stripped the engine)
Dash and ecu are paired and I have read plenty of warnings that the flash can unpair them. Then you have bigger issues. I was mostly concerned about that issue. Not sure how true it is but it wasn't worth the risk.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page