Jump starting not possible? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Jump starting not possible?

Hi all,

So my most recent bone-head move was to leave the key on my SSS in the "On" position all day yesterday. So...after leaving my office at the end of day and looking forward to a ride home, I was met with the sicking realization that the keys were not in my pocket and the sound of silence when I hit the starter switch.

My initial reaction was to contact our on-site maintenance guys as they will provide "jump starts". However, I quickly remembered that our batteries are buried deep down and behind the lower fairing making accessing the battery terminals next to impossible without tools. Even though I do have the little SAE plug on the left side of the engine for trickle charging, that cable (and presumably an inline fuse) won't take the amperage of a "jump start".

I considered trying to push start the bike (not knowing if that will work on a modern fuel injected bike), but quickly was reminded that the attached panniers would likely cause me to trip as I ran along side the bike and make for a heroic leap if I attempted to jump and straddle the bike after running up to speed. Of course I don't carry the orange keys to remove the panniers with me... Needless to say the idea of tripping and dropping my bike cooled me to that idea.

So, an Uber ride home was in my future. The next morning I brought to work a long extension cord, my Battery Tender, and rolled my bike to a nearby building that had an external electrical outlet.

I'm hoping over the course of the day the trickle charger will give me enough juice to get the Ducati started.

I really hate the design of the battery layout.......

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this story out there for "food for thought" and to see if I could have done something different. Yeah, besides not leaving the key in the ignition in the "On" position....
Ed K, Rhino, NothingClever and 1 others like this.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Ugh,

So the Battery Tender has been running for about four hours now and has been blinking red the whole time. I believe that blinking red light indicates either there is something wrong with the connection or the battery. I'm pretty certain that the Batter Tender is good. Reasonably sure the dealer installed SAE connector is good as I've plugged my electric vest into it in the past and was kept toasty warm. That leaves me with hoping that the battery is so low that, that's causing the blinking red light, but I have my doubts. I'm fairly certain if the connection was good and the battery was taking a charge, the indicator light would be a solid red until the battery was fully charged (green), which might take 24 hours since it's a trickle charger.
spartan1984 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 PM

It appears that your battery is dead but you won't know until you hit the start button.

I've got 2 dongles on my bike. One is a 7 amp charging plug for the trickle charger and the other is a cigarette lighter plug that I can power my air compressor. I think I can get a jump from one of the portable jump boxes with cigarette insert plug.

John L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Maybe Derek can jump in, but my understanding is smart chargers, including a battery tender, won't work on a flat battery due to the smart chargers electronics not sensing the battery at the other end...

Could you find a couple of sturdy coworkers who can give you a push while you're sat on the bike?

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE Could you find a couple of sturdy coworkers who can give you a push while you're sat on the bike?[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but is it possible to push start a fuel injected motorcycle? Do the injectors need some minimum current that a dead battery won't be able to supply?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Garage
I believe if “dead” battery had just enough juice to run fuel pump and ignition, a push start should work.
NothingClever likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW R”1000” Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Maybe Derek can jump in, but my understanding is smart chargers, including a battery tender, won't work on a flat battery due to the smart chargers electronics not sensing the battery at the other end...
Different bike and battery but I just had to send a tender down to my offspring, who just happens to be holding my Triumph hostage, because he ran it dead with the stupid key setting that seems made to kill batteries. He charged it all night and it started the next day.
Ed K and NothingClever like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
This is correct. Most 'smart' chargers need to see a minimum voltage to recognise that a battery is connected before they will switch to charge mode. The trick is to temporarily connect a charged battery across the terminals of the flat battery. This trucks the charger into charging mode and you then disconnect the other battery and leave it to get on with charging the flat one.
With regard to push starting; if the battery is as flat as the smart charger won't charge it then the likelihood is that it is too flat to power the fuel pump in which case you are wasting the effort.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmissle View Post
[QUOTE Could you find a couple of sturdy coworkers who can give you a push while you're sat on the bike?
Possibly, but is it possible to push start a fuel injected motorcycle? Do the injectors need some minimum current that a dead battery won't be able to supply?[/QUOTE]

you can push start the SS I have had to do it twice so far. there is a knack to it though. It must be in 1st not second and you must make sure you prime the compression. (what I mean is once its in 1st make sure you push the bike backwards till your at the start of the stroke) then you can push and clutch it with a totally flat battery. it only takes a couple of metres.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 AM
SBS

how would one know what position the piston is in.....???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page