She's dirty! (And making me feel dirty too...) - Page 2 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
And not necessarily in a good way!

I did a final run of the season on saturday. 250km's of curvy, wet country roads and little bit of rain here and there. Roads are getting bit slippery with the leaves and grime from studded car tyres beating the asfalt in to dust (yes many have already switched as temperatures do vary greatly from day to day).

With the dirty roads came another problem. I've complained earlier about the water spray from the rear wheel, but now it come really apparent with the dirt. My riding gear was so dirty (back and ass mainly), that I didn't dare to pop in anywhere for a nice hot cup of coffee. And I was badly in need of thatt coffee. There was actually so much dirt spray, that it started to form a berm behind my buttocks (visible in the photos too! ). I have installed rubber strips that prevent most of the spray from front wheel up, but on the front of the froks there was still quite a bit of spray.

I do think that the management of water spray is the greatest downfall of this bike in touring use. I spent 30 minutes cleaning my gear when I got home and probably two hours of cleaning the bike. And I'd like to be clean enough to be allowed in to a service station too! (last pic shows the back of my jacket)
That is pretty bad indeed. I also was out for about 250 km this Saturday (first weekend in some time with decent weather, that is, not raining...). Roads were pretty grimy in part, but nowhere near yours. In fact, I even ended up on a short stretch of gravel and it still was quite fine afterwards. Guess roads must’ve been really wet?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur A View Post
Jippo, do you have the fender eliminator kit? I understand that it always sprays mud with those. Mine is pretty bad too
I don’t think that matters much. My bike is bog standard and if the roads are wet, I get something similar to Jippo in terms of spray.

Here’s voting for the Rhino bra (or would that be a pair of knickers?!) to be made available as soon as possible!
Ed K, spartan1984, djcmx49 and 1 others like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis View Post
I don’t think that matters much. My bike is bog standard and if the roads are wet, I get something similar to Jippo in terms of spray.

Here’s voting for the Rhino bra (or would that be a pair of knickers?!) to be made available as soon as possible!
Yeah, I had the standard fender last year, and it was just the same.

The issue is aerodynamics and rider size & posture. I don't have any spray on my back or on the back of the bike either if I lay flat on the tank. Sitting upright creates a vortex of some sort behind the rider that drags the water and **** in. Quite a bit of it seems to come straight up around the sides of the pillion seat, so the fender hasn't all that much say in it.

I have considered adding short rubber curtains (in lack of a better word) between the rear side panels and the black middle section under the rear of the bike. Idea being, that the upwards spray from the wheel that hits the bottom section would again hit the curtains and drop down instead of going up with the airflow. Though, I've been too lazy to start experimenting with it, so I haven't a clue if it would work or not...

So the SS bra by Rhino seems to be only viable solution thusfar.

Klag nicht, Kämpft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
Yeah, I had the standard fender last year, and it was just the same.

The issue is aerodynamics and rider size & posture. I don't have any spray on my back or on the back of the bike either if I lay flat on the tank. Sitting upright creates a vortex of some sort behind the rider that drags the water and **** in. Quite a bit of it seems to come straight up around the sides of the pillion seat, so the fender hasn't all that much say in it.

I have considered adding short rubber curtains (in lack of a better word) between the rear side panels and the black middle section under the rear of the bike. Idea being, that the upwards spray from the wheel that hits the bottom section would again hit the curtains and drop down instead of going up with the airflow. Though, I've been too lazy to start experimenting with it, so I haven't a clue if it would work or not...

So the SS bra by Rhino seems to be only viable solution thusfar.
Interesting that about the aerodynamics you mention. I know even when I had the side cases on, I had plenty of spray on the back of the seat and myself which suggests a lot of it is actually coming from the very rear. Not sure what the experience of others regarding spray and side cases (mine are note the Ducati ones).

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:01 PM
SuperSport Master

My extensive tests showed that the only way to stop the water and grime from flipping up everywhere was to cover the width of the tyre close to the hugger. The Hugger is too narrow (and Short) and needs to be wider at the starting point. it would be easy for Pyramid Plastics or a -an -other manufacturer to modify the original.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
My extensive tests showed that the only way to stop the water and grime from flipping up everywhere was to cover the width of the tyre close to the hugger. The Hugger is too narrow (and Short) and needs to be wider at the starting point. it would be easy for Pyramid Plastics or a -an -other manufacturer to modify the original.
Maybe we could reach out to Pyramid Plastics (or some other manufacturer) and inquire. Never know till you ask. Plus there are/were some folks on here experimenting with CF and asking for ideas.
Rhino likes this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:50 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1984 View Post
Maybe we could reach out to Pyramid Plastics (or some other manufacturer) and inquire. Never know till you ask. Plus there are/were some folks on here experimenting with CF and asking for ideas.
A while ago I purchased the pyramid hugger extension. After installing it I found that it was too close to the tyre. (A design fault) I modified it to fit correctly and contacted pyramid to let them know. I also informed them that just extending the length of the existing hugger was not solving the problem. I informed them that there was a big demand for a solution They told me back then that they were going to make a complete hugger. Well that never happened. Luckily I have solved my problem
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:58 AM
Training Wheels

I rode 5500km this summer also under rain and the only thing that actually protected me for spray coming from the back was my custom made top box, I think no rear hugger extension would work because it's the tail that is short respect to the weel (I know this is a trend in style but it's still the only thing I really hate of this bike), my problem was the dirt coming from the front.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
A while ago I purchased the pyramid hugger extension. After installing it I found that it was too close to the tyre. (A design fault) I modified it to fit correctly and contacted pyramid to let them know. I also informed them that just extending the length of the existing hugger was not solving the problem. I informed them that there was a big demand for a solution They told me back then that they were going to make a complete hugger. Well that never happened. Luckily I have solved my problem
Man, that's an opportunity lost for them. I know the Supersport population is smaller compared to other bikes, but word of mouth gets around and it could potentially lead to more sales for them and satisfy a need for us. Oh well, and like you mentioned, you've solved your own problem

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page