Check engine light - fuel overflow container? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Check engine light - fuel overflow container?

Hi guys,

I was riding yesterday and my check engine light came on immediately after refueling. I mean, off when I switched off the bike, and on as soon as I restarted after filling up. Has anyone experienced this issue, where spillover goes into the catcher, fills, and then kicks on the check engine light? I haven't been "topping off", but I may have misjudged how much fuel I was putting in, and it does have about 10,000 miles, so maybe time enough to fill it up I suppose. Almost seems too coincidental.
Dox likes this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Check engine has never been activated on mine afternoon fueling or otherwise (thank goodness)...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Check engine has never been activated on mine afternoon fueling or otherwise (thank goodness)...
Mine had once when the exhaust valve got stuck open, so this will be the second time. I wish I had the diagnostic equipment myself to check it. If it is the catcher, I should be able to replace that myself fairly easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

As I recall, @Derek had once suggested removing the plate in front of the valve that will expose the cable that can be jiggled as one possible way to free it up the valve.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:07 AM

If you take the cover off you can easily access the valve. I had the check engine light come on several times but the valve and cable were always free to move. Since fitting the Termi and a simple return spring in place of the valve the Check engine light has remained off.
Ed K and Dox like this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Dox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Bongwater Johnson View Post
Hi guys,

I was riding yesterday and my check engine light came on immediately after refueling. I mean, off when I switched off the bike, and on as soon as I restarted after filling up. Has anyone experienced this issue, where spillover goes into the catcher, fills, and then kicks on the check engine light? I haven't been "topping off", but I may have misjudged how much fuel I was putting in, and it does have about 10,000 miles, so maybe time enough to fill it up I suppose. Almost seems too coincidental.
The same happened to me yesterday when I filled up.

Did you find out what the cause was?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox View Post
The same happened to me yesterday when I filled up.

Did you find out what the cause was?
I did have the exhaust valve go, but I resolved that issue by removing the exhaust (the Termi comes with a bypass of sorts) and had my ECU flashed, deleting the exhaust valve to boot. My fuel gauge goes randomly on the fritz, but I haven't had the check engine light come on since.
Dox likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Dox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Bongwater Johnson View Post
I did have the exhaust valve go, but I resolved that issue by removing the exhaust (the Termi comes with a bypass of sorts) and had my ECU flashed, deleting the exhaust valve to boot. My fuel gauge goes randomly on the fritz, but I haven't had the check engine light come on since.
Thanks Ace. I got an OBD reader and it says its the exhaust valve. I've switched of the engine light a few times but it keeps coming back on.

I was going to lube the cable myself but Ducati or the previous owner had knackered one of the allen bolt heads on the cover, so I'm booking her in to get it sorted under warranty.
Ed K and rbt1548 like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ace. I got an OBD reader and it says its the exhaust valve. I've switched of the engine light a few times but it keeps coming back on.

I was going to lube the cable myself but Ducati or the previous owner had knackered one of the allen bolt heads on the cover, so I'm booking her in to get it sorted under warranty.
Same thing happened to me, with the cover bolt. Had to resort to welding on another bolt to get it off. Pain in the arse as of course was the screw on the bottom. Seems like the bolts Ducati use is of subpar quality in many places, at least on my bike, as it also happened with one of the bolts on the exhaust pipe cover.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:

The bolt heads are a bit soft, I resorted to using a Torx head bit which gave more grip I then replaced the screws with stainless ones. Also on mine one of the threaded clips that the screws thread into just fell away in half, it was rusted through, luckily I had a few of the correct size, the bike was only about 18 months old at the time too, Ducati definitely need to spend a couple of bob, cents/euros, etc., and put decent fasteners on.
NothingClever likes this.

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!
I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now

2017 Ducati Supersport

1965 BSA A65 Lightning Clubman

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page