Suspension issue - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Suspension issue

So Iíve got a weird one, wondering if anyone else has seen this in an S:

My dad called me late Saturday and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for lunch and maybe take a bit of a ride on Sunday. Took him up on it knowing full well itís a 3 1/2 hour trip to meet him, 3 1/2 hour trip back and the area we ride would be like an hour or so ride, but we donít get to ride much anymore so it was very worth it. BTW, the Duc was great upon this trip, just over 400 miles round trip mad around 7 hours total riding time, stopped every few hours for gas and water for me, otherwise I was comfy the whole way.

Anyway, got home, was cleaning the bike up a bit and noticed standing oil in/on the right fork cap and in the rebound adjuster hole. Iíve not seen this before, and I have no idea where it came from but best guess it the o-ring between the fork cap and adjuster. The other thought is the brake reservoir could be leaking but I checked everything out and canít see leaking anywhere.

I cleaned it all up, havenít seen any since and I rotated the adjuster around a bit and canít see anything leaking or feel anything binding. It was a clean oil looking and smelled like suspension fluid but Iím second guessing myself now it might have been brake fluid.

Iíve got an appointment to get it checked out Thursday, but iím wondering has anyone else had this happen? The dealership didnít see at as common but didnít indicate it uncommon. Iím planning to get my springs installed at the same time they pull stuff apart.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
So Iíve got a weird one, wondering if anyone else has seen this in an S:

My dad called me late Saturday and wanted to know if I wanted to meet for lunch and maybe take a bit of a ride on Sunday. Took him up on it knowing full well itís a 3 1/2 hour trip to meet him, 3 1/2 hour trip back and the area we ride would be like an hour or so ride, but we donít get to ride much anymore so it was very worth it. BTW, the Duc was great upon this trip, just over 400 miles round trip mad around 7 hours total riding time, stopped every few hours for gas and water for me, otherwise I was comfy the whole way.

Anyway, got home, was cleaning the bike up a bit and noticed standing oil in/on the right fork cap and in the rebound adjuster hole. Iíve not seen this before, and I have no idea where it came from but best guess it the o-ring between the fork cap and adjuster. The other thought is the brake reservoir could be leaking but I checked everything out and canít see leaking anywhere.

I cleaned it all up, havenít seen any since and I rotated the adjuster around a bit and canít see anything leaking or feel anything binding. It was a clean oil looking and smelled like suspension fluid but Iím second guessing myself now it might have been brake fluid.

Iíve got an appointment to get it checked out Thursday, but iím wondering has anyone else had this happen? The dealership didnít see at as common but didnít indicate it uncommon. Iím planning to get my springs installed at the same time they pull stuff apart.
Yes, I observed the same thing and checked the brake fluid reservoir - it was too full and that's where my fluid was coming from. I removed a little fluid from the reservoir and problem fixed.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting...I haven't had this issue, but there have been a few reports of the reservoir leaking occasionally. Some have had it even damage the screen.
Miweber929 and Grossi.BP like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
Yes, I observed the same thing and checked the brake fluid reservoir - it was too full and that's where my fluid was coming from. I removed a little fluid from the reservoir and problem fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Interesting...I haven't had this issue, but there have been a few reports of the reservoir leaking occasionally. Some have had it even damage the screen.
See, thatís the thing, I remembered others mentioning the brake fluid reservoir and immediately went to that area, bone dry everywhere I looked and ran a clean white paper rag around. I do have the DP reservoir covers, however, but they sealed great from what Iíve seen and I havenít had a problem in ~600 or so miles, just this last 400 mile trip.

Iíll see what the shop finds, thanks for the thoughts.
Ed K likes this.

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 PM
Knee Dragger

ride it a little more and see if it happens again. You might have solved it with the brake reservoir.

If it's done, no harm, no foul.
Ed K likes this.

John L
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:47 AM
Elbow Dragger

I've also had a leak from the brake reservoir but with no obvious signs of it other than a few drops of fluid.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 AM
SuperSport Master

Yep, I had a reservoir leak that threw me off. Very minimal fluid on the reservoir itself but some fluid residue ended up on the fork cap.

So, when folks look at my reservoir and think itís low, itís not. The levelís in between the hash marks but on the low side to prevent weeping and burping.
psyopper and Miweber929 like this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
Yep, I had a reservoir leak that threw me off. Very minimal fluid on the reservoir itself but some fluid residue ended up on the fork cap.

So, when folks look at my reservoir and think it’s low, it’s not. The level’s in between the hash marks but on the low side to prevent weeping and burping.
Interesting.

I was just in the garage this morning to pull the wheels off my Triumph so I can get the new tires installed while the Duc is in getting serviced (I gotta get my No-mar changer back from my dad down and here at some point, that’s two sets of tires this year I had put on) and checked the reservoir again. Still, no drips, nothing leaking, nothing anywhere around it, and nothing in the fork cap.

However looking at the fluid level, it’s at, or maybe even slightly above, the max mark. I do have it on a Pitbull rear stand so it’s nose down right now which isn’t helping but it’s definitely at or near max, even if the bike were level. I would think, though, that brake fluid sitting on the blue anodized Ohlins parts would have eaten into it if it was brake fluid, right?

Ok, this is weird. I flogged it pretty good last year in the Smokys, however I was pretty sick that weekend so I wasn’t my usual pace, this past winter I put on the DP covers and so far have been pretty tame riding this year, mostly commuting with a couple small runs until this past Sunday when I really let it rip at high speeds, high lean angles, and rode fast on very bumpy roads. Not to mention a long day on the road.

So I think I’ll still keep the appointment and have them replace the fork springs because I’m running short on time this year to work on things, and see what they say. I may have them take a bit of fluid out of the brake reservoir and see if that helps.

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by Miweber929; 08-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Knee Dragger

I had a single drop of brake fluid hanging off the hose on the brake fluid reservoir recently (~4,000 miles and 10 months of owning her). That's the closest I've come to your scenario. It does seem to be common, though. I'm thinking of draining a bit of the brake fluid.
se7en and Miweber929 like this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 AM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Interesting.

However looking at the fluid level, itís at, or maybe even slightly above, the max mark.
My service told me it's normal and in every Ducati they put above max. What's more I saw over max level on official pictures of the limited edition of Ducati "Foggy" V4

Some service men before I took the speed day on the track took me the fluid below max telling it's wrong, I called the dealership they told - it's ok and come to see other bikes in the shop

Uff for that... BUT to be honest, after the level is lower I don't have the strange pushing forward the break lever anylonger on the heavy breaking on big tracks like in Brno, CZ.
Miweber929 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page