Power loss when shifting - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Power loss when shifting

Hello, anyone else experiencing power loss when shifting up through gears with open throttle? It feels like the ignition turns off for 0,5 second and then continue as it should. It's a non S with no quick shifter. This phenomenon suddenly happened and I don't got any warranty left, it's a early 2017.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:44 PM
SuperSport Master

I have had it a few times where it is not fuelling and lunges forward as if hard braking. It is sporadic and inconsistent. So far it's happened when I am having a little sprint against another car or bike and it is very embarrassing.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Chicken Strips

I have this happen occasionally. I only ride on medium power not high power. (Throttle response is the only real difference). It typically happens when I shift late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

It's exactly like you describe it, often when shifting late and racing. Is it any way to get rid of this problem?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danis011 View Post
Hello, anyone else experiencing power loss when shifting up through gears with open throttle? It feels like the ignition turns off for 0,5 second and then continue as it should. It's a non S with no quick shifter. This phenomenon suddenly happened and I don't got any warranty left, it's a early 2017.
What gear and rpm range were you in when it happened?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
It's exactly like you describe it, often when shifting late and racing. Is it any way to get rid of this problem?
So TLDR no not really, you can change your habbits to lessen the issue.

First you have to understand what the DQS is doing. The DQS is cutting or adding throttle (depending on up or down shift) long enough to take pressure off of the gears and allow them to change. If you turn DQS off you can do the exact same thing manually by applying some pressure to the shifter and manipulating the throttle. The gearbox on these really locks you out of shifting until you have little pressure on the internals.

So back to the problem at hand. When you shift late you have no more power in the band for the DQS to use to get the tourqe off of the gears. It then has to cut power long enough to drop speed so it can get into a powerband that it can use.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:28 AM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
So TLDR no not really, you can change your habbits to lessen the issue.

First you have to understand what the DQS is doing. The DQS is cutting or adding throttle (depending on up or down shift) long enough to take pressure off of the gears and allow them to change. If you turn DQS off you can do the exact same thing manually by applying some pressure to the shifter and manipulating the throttle. The gearbox on these really locks you out of shifting until you have little pressure on the internals.

So back to the problem at hand. When you shift late you have no more power in the band for the DQS to use to get the tourqe off of the gears. It then has to cut power long enough to drop speed so it can get into a powerband that it can use.
But his bike hasn't got DQS!
Duke of Desmo likes this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 AM
Dox
Training Wheels

Quote:
I've had it happen a few times...was very disconcerting the first couple of times.

It hasn't happened on my last few rides out.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Elbow Dragger

The obvious question was whether the bike was on limiter? I assume not. The next question would be the latest factory ECU update.

John L
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
The obvious question was whether the bike was on limiter? I assume not. The next question would be the latest factory ECU update.
No the bike is not on the limiter when it happens.
The ECU was updated in June.

The problem appeared before and after ECU update. Now it got the upmap and still got the problem.
LowRyter likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page