Coolant loss - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Duke of Desmo
  • 2 Post By theresanothersteve
  • 2 Post By Derek
  • 1 Post By LowRyter
  • 1 Post By amoslws
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 769
Likes Received: 978
Garage
Coolant loss

Just watched my pride and joy disappear down the road on the back of a truck...

Not sure of the problem at this stage, but when I stopped in the shed last night it dropped a pool of coolant on the floor.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is online now  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,845
Likes Received: 2450
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Just watched my pride and joy disappear down the road on the back of a truck...

Not sure of the problem at this stage, but when I stopped in the shed last night it dropped a pool of coolant on the floor.
Oh no! Any trace where is what coming from?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Training Wheels
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Posts: 212
Likes Received: 187
Garage
Bugga, not good, keep us posted?
Ed K likes this.
Duke of Desmo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 769
Likes Received: 978
Garage
And the reason for the coolant loss?

Dunno.

Checked by the dealer. When I checked it after finding the pool the expansion/ overflow tank was empty. When he checked it, it was fine.

They suggest it might have been overfilled, and when it got hot spat some out through the overflow. Given the last part of my road is on ball-bearing like gravel I travel slowly, and it does get hot. I'd just got through 'having some fun' in the twisties (they stop wher the dirt starts), so it's possible.

Something I'll be watching, particularly as we enter our hot summer.
Ed K and Duke of Desmo like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is online now  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,845
Likes Received: 2450
Wow, unusual for that special fluid to boil over, but I guess itís possible...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Elbow Dragger
 
Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Angus, Scotland
Posts: 1,430
Likes Received: 1569
It is an"expansion tank". The max level mark is only about 1/2 way up to allow for expansion, so it is possible that if it was overfilled beyond the max mark that it would overflow if the cooling system was overheated.
Ed K and LowRyter like this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
Derek is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,845
Likes Received: 2450
@theresanothersteve Generally, I leave the engine coolant temp on my dash at all times and glance over at it periodically. Perhaps you do the same; by any chance were you observing the coolant temp during that ride?

Kinda puzzling cause itís not that hot there yet, right?

Also, assume youíve checked that the fans are working properly, and also that the radiator and oil fins are not clogged, restricting air flow.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,218
Likes Received: 617
The coolant temp defaults to the dash display when the engine starts to get hot. Sorry, I can't remember the temp. I noticed that the first time I rode my bike. I called the dealer and they told me it was normal and the fans don't kick on until over 210 degrees or something like that.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

John L
LowRyter is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 769
Likes Received: 978
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
@theresanothersteve Generally, I leave the engine coolant temp on my dash at all times and glance over at it periodically. Perhaps you do the same; by any chance were you observing the coolant temp during that ride?

Kinda puzzling cause itís not that hot there yet, right?

Also, assume youíve checked that the fans are working properly, and also that the radiator and oil fins are not clogged, restricting air flow.
AS LR says, the right-hand dash display reverts to coolant temperature when it reaches 100C. The fans (on my bike) cut in at 106C, you can see the temperature drop as they do their work. I usually only see this happen when lane filtering or stopped at the lights. It also happens on the last part of my trip home, 1 mile of dirt, when the ambient is above about 20C.

The part that puzzles me is the coolant was between low and high when I checked it on Sunday (my weekly ritual is checking oil, water and tyre pressures on all our vehicles every Sunday), but on this occasion the tank was empty. When the dealer checked it a couple of days later they said it was a little overfilled and reduced it so it is just above the low mark when cold.

I'm fussy about coolant now, after destroying the head on a previous vehicle without actually overheating. Gone are the good old days when you could get a red motor Holden home by topping up the radiator (from the tap) each time it boiled.

At least Ducati roadside assist covered the flatbed to get it to the dealer, and the dealer didn't charge me anything.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:46 PM
SuperSport Master
 
amoslws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere South
Posts: 4,207
Likes Received: 3298
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
AS LR says, the right-hand dash display reverts to coolant temperature when it reaches 100C. The fans (on my bike) cut in at 106C, you can see the temperature drop as they do their work. I usually only see this happen when lane filtering or stopped at the lights. It also happens on the last part of my trip home, 1 mile of dirt, when the ambient is above about 20C.

The part that puzzles me is the coolant was between low and high when I checked it on Sunday (my weekly ritual is checking oil, water and tyre pressures on all our vehicles every Sunday), but on this occasion the tank was empty. When the dealer checked it a couple of days later they said it was a little overfilled and reduced it so it is just above the low mark when cold.

I'm fussy about coolant now, after destroying the head on a previous vehicle without actually overheating. Gone are the good old days when you could get a red motor Holden home by topping up the radiator (from the tap) each time it boiled.

At least Ducati roadside assist covered the flatbed to get it to the dealer, and the dealer didn't charge me anything.
My fans come in at 103 C and cut out at 106C.
Oddly I have had the overflow drip on the garage floor when it was only 60C. So I don't think it's only when hot that the pressure builds. Logic tells me it should be but experience shows me it isn't.
theresanothersteve likes this.
amoslws is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome