Sprocket Wear - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Derek
  • 1 Post By Rhino
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 794
Likes Received: 1015
Garage
Sprocket Wear

Had a bit of work done on my bike today.

The chain had suddenly gone downhill, needing adjusting every 500 ks or so. I could pull it away from the sprocket, so it was time. I've done over 22,000 ks and travel on dirt roads, so I reckon that's pretty good. The Scottoiler went on at 16,000 ks, but I'd already started adjusting the chain.

Most alarming was the condition of the front sprocket. Although the rear has no signs of wear, the front was closer to failure than I'd like to admit.

If your bike is getting up in ks (or miles) I'd suggest checking the front sprocket periodically, particularly if you've gone for a 14 tooth front.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is online now  
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Elbow Dragger
 
Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Angus, Scotland
Posts: 1,484
Likes Received: 1621
I usually find that the front sprocket wears much quicker than the rear, not surprisingly as it's going round twice as quick. Typically I'll replace the front every 7-8,000 miles and both sprockets and chain every 16,000 miles or so.
theresanothersteve likes this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
Derek is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:22 AM
SuperSport Master
 
Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 2,174
Likes Received: 2399
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Had a bit of work done on my bike today.

The chain had suddenly gone downhill, needing adjusting every 500 ks or so. I could pull it away from the sprocket, so it was time. I've done over 22,000 ks and travel on dirt roads, so I reckon that's pretty good. The Scottoiler went on at 16,000 ks, but I'd already started adjusting the chain.

Most alarming was the condition of the front sprocket. Although the rear has no signs of wear, the front was closer to failure than I'd like to admit.

If your bike is getting up in ks (or miles) I'd suggest checking the front sprocket periodically, particularly if you've gone for a 14 tooth front.
Mine has gone the same way and will need to attend to it soon. Then again Iím going to be up for quite a lot of work. My Desmo 30000 service, chain, sprocket, hand grips, front fork service and oil change. All at a time that Iím really starting to like the idea of owning a street fighter or a V2 Hmmmm
se7en likes this.
Rhino is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Knee Dragger
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 907
Likes Received: 726
I barely commute now that I live close to work, but I normally change my chain by 15k miles and sprockets every other chain.
1uglybastard is online now  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 AM
Training Wheels
 
PeeWee939S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 77
Likes Received: 79
Garage
I change my now after 18000km.
Got the 14t front and new chain and thougt i might change the rear aswell at the same time.
It was a bit rundown but not as much as the front and the chain.
PeeWee939S is online now  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Chicken Strips
 
skywurz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA - USA
Posts: 436
Likes Received: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I usually find that the front sprocket wears much quicker than the rear, not surprisingly as it's going round twice as quick. Typically I'll replace the front every 7-8,000 miles and both sprockets and chain every 16,000 miles or so.
Hmmm I'm at 10k miles and have not looked at my front sprocket... But my chain hasn't gotten any looser than when I tightened it up after the first 600 miles.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
skywurz is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:55 PM
SuperSport Master
 
Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 2,174
Likes Received: 2399
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Hmmm I'm at 10k miles and have not looked at my front sprocket... But my chain hasn't gotten any looser than when I tightened it up after the first 600 miles.
Hmmmm are you sure your chain is still good ? Mine is now shot and it didn't need much tightening, I only did it twice. My Mechanic / Independent Ducati TEC told me it was shot. So I checked properly and yes was right. I confirmed this is by putting the bike on the rear stand, turning the wheel and pulling the chain on the rear cog (grab the chain in the middle of the rear cog at the back and pull it as if you want to remove it from the Cog) I kept doing this as I rotated through the chain. OH boy some of the chain didn't really move but a large section did pull back showing a gap under the chain.
Rhino is online now  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 06:02 PM
SuperSport Master
 
Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 2,174
Likes Received: 2399
Has anyone got any info on the best Quality and where to buy a replacement chain and sprockets
Rhino is online now  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,362
Likes Received: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Hmmm I'm at 10k miles and have not looked at my front sprocket... But my chain hasn't gotten any looser than when I tightened it up after the first 600 miles.
I've noticed that chain holds up pretty well. I've got just under 10k on mine and it's still holding up and i've only adjusted it twice and only cleaned 4 or 5 times.

This is the first bike I've owned with a single sided swingarm and I wonder if precise alignment isn't a big part of it?

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
LowRyter is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome