Sprocket Wear - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Sprocket Wear

Had a bit of work done on my bike today.

The chain had suddenly gone downhill, needing adjusting every 500 ks or so. I could pull it away from the sprocket, so it was time. I've done over 22,000 ks and travel on dirt roads, so I reckon that's pretty good. The Scottoiler went on at 16,000 ks, but I'd already started adjusting the chain.

Most alarming was the condition of the front sprocket. Although the rear has no signs of wear, the front was closer to failure than I'd like to admit.

If your bike is getting up in ks (or miles) I'd suggest checking the front sprocket periodically, particularly if you've gone for a 14 tooth front.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 AM
SuperSport Master

I usually find that the front sprocket wears much quicker than the rear, not surprisingly as it's going round twice as quick. Typically I'll replace the front every 7-8,000 miles and both sprockets and chain every 16,000 miles or so.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:22 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Had a bit of work done on my bike today.

The chain had suddenly gone downhill, needing adjusting every 500 ks or so. I could pull it away from the sprocket, so it was time. I've done over 22,000 ks and travel on dirt roads, so I reckon that's pretty good. The Scottoiler went on at 16,000 ks, but I'd already started adjusting the chain.

Most alarming was the condition of the front sprocket. Although the rear has no signs of wear, the front was closer to failure than I'd like to admit.

If your bike is getting up in ks (or miles) I'd suggest checking the front sprocket periodically, particularly if you've gone for a 14 tooth front.
Mine has gone the same way and will need to attend to it soon. Then again Iím going to be up for quite a lot of work. My Desmo 30000 service, chain, sprocket, hand grips, front fork service and oil change. All at a time that Iím really starting to like the idea of owning a street fighter or a V2 Hmmmm
se7en and Paddlefoot64 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Knee Dragger

I barely commute now that I live close to work, but I normally change my chain by 15k miles and sprockets every other chain.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I change my now after 18000km.
Got the 14t front and new chain and thougt i might change the rear aswell at the same time.
It was a bit rundown but not as much as the front and the chain.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I usually find that the front sprocket wears much quicker than the rear, not surprisingly as it's going round twice as quick. Typically I'll replace the front every 7-8,000 miles and both sprockets and chain every 16,000 miles or so.
Hmmm I'm at 10k miles and have not looked at my front sprocket... But my chain hasn't gotten any looser than when I tightened it up after the first 600 miles.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Hmmm I'm at 10k miles and have not looked at my front sprocket... But my chain hasn't gotten any looser than when I tightened it up after the first 600 miles.
Hmmmm are you sure your chain is still good ? Mine is now shot and it didn't need much tightening, I only did it twice. My Mechanic / Independent Ducati TEC told me it was shot. So I checked properly and yes was right. I confirmed this is by putting the bike on the rear stand, turning the wheel and pulling the chain on the rear cog (grab the chain in the middle of the rear cog at the back and pull it as if you want to remove it from the Cog) I kept doing this as I rotated through the chain. OH boy some of the chain didn't really move but a large section did pull back showing a gap under the chain.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:02 PM
SuperSport Master

Has anyone got any info on the best Quality and where to buy a replacement chain and sprockets
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 08:54 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
I've noticed that chain holds up pretty well. I've got just under 10k on mine and it's still holding up and i've only adjusted it twice and only cleaned 4 or 5 times.

This is the first bike I've owned with a single sided swingarm and I wonder if precise alignment isn't a big part of it?

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Unread 02-19-2020, 05:39 AM
SuperSport Master

Anyone know the size of the socket that fits the nut on the front sprocket. Iím thinking itís a 33mm I have to buy one.