Complete Rear Brake Failure Feb 2020 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Exclamation Complete Rear Brake Failure Feb 2020

Hello all,
Been a while since I've been on and tried searching active topics and news related to the thread title. In any event, during my pre-ride check today I identified that my rear brake was completely inoperable. The bike has less than 1k miles and I bought it new in 2018. I have had all U.S. issued recalls performed and it doesn't appear there's been a U.S. issued rear brake failure recall/notification. I did submit information to the U.S. NTHSB regarding this unexplained and abrupt brake failure. Brake fluid reservoir was also identified as full. Has anyone else had this arise on a 2017 or 2018 SuperSport? If so, what was the resolution? I've contacted a Ducati dealer in my area for further assessment and remediation. I'll post the resolution approach taken once it is complete in the event someone else experiences this issue.
Best,
Chris

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by DucBuckeye; 02-17-2020 at 10:28 PM.
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:45 PM
SuperSport Master

You might have air in the system. Take a zip tie or tie a weight to the brake pedal so that it is compressed as tightly as possible, Leave it overnight and determine whether you have brake pressure. This could cure the problem.

Thank goodness you still have the front brakes. The fronts are essential.
JaggerCat likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Regards,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

@DucBuckeye Sorry to hear about this, and thanks for letting us know.

Can you describe in more detail how it is inoperable?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 03:22 AM
SuperSport Master

Need a little more info. You say your bike has complete rear brake failure. Or does your rear brake just not grab? When you press the brakes do the brake pads close onto the rotator disc Or is there a gap. The reason I ask is that I had a situation where the rear brake stoped working after the dealer had my bike. I fixed it myself. It turned out that the pads had been contaminated and Glazed. I was amazed that no mater how hard you pressed the brake there was no grab at all. I removed the pads washed them with brake cleaner, deglazed them by sanding and replaced them.wow new brakes again !! It was as simple as that. I documented it on here with pictures somewhere.
Ed K likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 05:42 AM
Training Wheels

I had my rear brake fail too, the master cylinder got replaced under warranty. First time the dealer bled it and it worked for about 3 months, then suddenly no back brake, you press that pedal and it does diddly squat., Ducati finally replaced the rear Master Cylinder (Well Brembo did), at the same time the front forks where replaced under warranty too, this was all done at its first annual service. And I am afraid to say less than 2k miles (did not get out as much on the red bike)

current garage 2018 – Ducati SupeSport ,2018 – KTM Duke 390 ,2014 – Kawasaki Z800
old garage Honda CBR650F, Honda CBR500 , Honda CB125, Honda CB400N,Kawasaki ER6N, Susuki GS450,Yamaha MR50
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Need a little more info. You say your bike has complete rear brake failure. Or does your rear brake just not grab? When you press the brakes do the brake pads close onto the rotator disc Or is there a gap. The reason I ask is that I had a situation where the rear brake stoped working after the dealer had my bike. I fixed it myself. It turned out that the pads had been contaminated and Glazed. I was amazed that no mater how hard you pressed the brake there was no grab at all. I removed the pads washed them with brake cleaner, deglazed them by sanding and replaced them.wow new brakes again !! It was as simple as that. I documented it on here with pictures somewhere.
https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/...il-glazed.html
Rhino likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Hi Ed, what is happening is that rear brake lever can be fully depressed without any resistance and the rear brake will not hold the bike from a roll with only the rear brake engaged. The lever action felt very “mushy” on pre-ride check so I tested it further. I recently moved from Ohio to Tennessee and the movers hauled it for me but it arrived in perfect condition. I start it a couple of times per month when too cold to actually ride and run through the same pre-ride checks. Thus, this is the first time in a year and half of ownership that this occurred. Had CBR600 RRs for years and never had this happen, other stuff did but not this so I was scratching my head a bit.
Ed K likes this.

Regards,
Chris

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
No grab by pads. The dealer had performed a recall service in Mar 2019 but no issue until now.
Ed K likes this.

Regards,
Chris

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

If no loss of fluid, then sounds like either air in the line or defective master or slave cylinder.

There have been some reports of these kinds of issues, but my observations have been its not a frequent occurrence.

Glad it sounds like your bike is still under warranty. Dealer should sort it out quickly.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page