Transitions faceshield - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Transitions faceshield

I realize this is a little late since I already bought and mounted it, but I just picked up a new helmet, a Shoei RF-1200, and decided to splurge for the Transitions faceshield so I don’t have to remember to swap the clear shield between the tank bag on each of the bikes.

Anyone else use it? i think Shoei, HJC and someone else have them available. How’s it working got you? I’ve read good things, and the negatives seem pretty minor but some real world, real rider input would be great.

It’s been a while since I had a Shoei helmet, man, I forgot how nice they can be!!

Edit: it’s Shoei, Klim and Bell helmets, my bad:

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/pr...elmet-shields/
Ed K and Rhino like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by Miweber929; 11-03-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I have one on my Bell Star. Love it. I put it on and have yet to switch it out, it's been on for 4 or 5 years now.

The only "down side" is that they darkest they get is similar to a "medium" smoked shield. If you live in the desert you probably want to keep some sunglasses around to use in addition during the brightest parts of the day.
Miweber929 likes this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
I have one on my Bell Star. Love it. I put it on and have yet to switch it out, it's been on for 4 or 5 years now.

The only "down side" is that they darkest they get is similar to a "medium" smoked shield. If you live in the desert you probably want to keep some sunglasses around to use in addition during the brightest parts of the day.
That was my fear, the ďdarkĒ isnít as dark as the ďdark smokeĒ I normally buy. Until I looked it up to find out the brands I forgot that Bell had one and if it works out for me Iíll probably buy one for my Star which will now be relegated to backup duty.

Itís too bad, I LOVE my Star but the communicator speakers just have nowhere to go and that makes the ear area slightly uncomfortable if I donít tuck my ears in just right. Most of the time I do get it right, but those times I donít itís a literal pain. This RF slid on with zero issues, my ears tucked in prefect and thereís areas cutout for the speakers. Worked great right out of the box.

Thanks for the info!!

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Elbow Dragger

My last two helmets, a Lazer Monaco and a Lazer Monaco Evo, both had transitions visors and I really liked them. Unfortunately the Evo was destroyed when I had the off a year ago. Due to availablity, or at least the lack of it, I replaced it with an LS2 Vortex in carbon. Same light weight but no photochromic visor
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Elbow Dragger

I am of the sunglasses and drop down shade school.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

John L
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
That was my fear, the “dark” isn’t as dark as the “dark smoke” I normally buy. Until I looked it up to find out the brands I forgot that Bell had one and if it works out for me I’ll probably buy one for my Star which will now be relegated to backup duty.

It’s too bad, I LOVE my Star but the communicator speakers just have nowhere to go and that makes the ear area slightly uncomfortable if I don’t tuck my ears in just right. Most of the time I do get it right, but those times I don’t it’s a literal pain. This RF slid on with zero issues, my ears tucked in prefect and there’s areas cutout for the speakers. Worked great right out of the box.

Thanks for the info!!
I’ve got the photochromatic visor for my Shoei NXR. Only used it for one season so far but never felt I needed sunglasses. I can’t speak for desert climates but it gets plenty dark for the southern Scandinavian sun. When it’s full dark it’s dark enough as to be almost opaque when looking at from the “outside”. I would imagine the Minnesota sun isn’t that different?

Should also say that I’ve never had a normal dark (i.e. non photochromatic) visor before, so it’s possible those are even darker.
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)

Last edited by Dino de Laurentiis; 11-03-2019 at 12:37 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
My last two helmets, a Lazer Monaco and a Lazer Monaco Evo, both had transitions visors and I really liked them. Unfortunately the Evo was destroyed when I had the off a year ago. Due to availablity, or at least the lack of it, I replaced it with an LS2 Vortex in carbon. Same light weight but no photochromic visor
Thatís cool Laser has them available as well, glad to hear you liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis View Post
Iíve got the photochromatic visor for my Shoei NXR. Only used it for one season so far but never felt I needed sunglasses. I canít speak for desert climates but it gets plenty dark for the southern Scandinavian sun. When itís full dark itís dark enough as to be almost opaque when looking at from the ďoutsideĒ. I would imagine the Minnesota sun isnít that different?

Should also say that Iíve never had a normal dark (i.e. non photochromatic) visor before, so itís possible those are even darker.
Yeah, I donít feel we get any blinding glare or anything too crazy bright, it should be fine, I think, for what I need. Thanks for the insight!!!

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have one for my RF-1200. Unfortunately, not a fan. Doesn't get dark enough for my taste. Been sitting in the closet for a couple years, now. I have a light sensitivity, so the darker the better for me. It did work great for its intended purpose, though.
Miweber929 likes this.

~David~

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I have one for my RF-1200. Unfortunately, not a fan. Doesn't get dark enough for my taste. Been sitting in the closet for a couple years, now. I have a light sensitivity, so the darker the better for me. It did work great for its intended purpose, though.
I wonder if the tree cover in the area keeps it from getting full dark? ****, I have a light sensitivity as well with a somewhat messed up right eye, that was my fear because light smoke isnít enough and I always run dark smoke.

Might need a dark smoke for normal riding, the transitions as my ďnightĒ shield. Eh, weíll have see how it works.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I wonder if the tree cover in the area keeps it from getting full dark?
Could be. Good thought. I wish it did work. I've been carrying two shields for decades, now.

I always go with the dark smoke shields. I find Arai, personally, to be the best...clarity, color hue, and VLT.
Miweber929 likes this.

~David~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page