Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Is this the forum for me

13K views 77 replies 36 participants last post by  Rhino 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else feels the same as me.
I am beginning to think that there are more negatives coming out of this forum than positives. :mad::mad:
Daily I read about complaints from all angles. :mad::mad::mad:
Crikey if I was reading this as a person thinking of buying the bike then after an episode of this forum I will likely make a bow turn.

It's simple, go get a jap bike if you are looking for a bike with no character or noises or rider capability, but please stop putting your sh1t on here. :laugh:

Yes by nature we are a bunch of whimpering human beings but for the sake of a fruitful forum can we step it up a gear.

#2 ·
Lol there are some Intresting characters on this forum and as they post I build a (spitting Images) picture of them I find it quite amusing. I detect a slight hint of winging Pom in your comment And not stereo tipical Yaapie get it together boet go grab a beer watch some Rugby lift heavy things book a weekend trip to sun city and see you back here all optimistic next week 😂😂

#3 · (Edited)
I appreciate people posting up about it's quirks. I haven't bought mine yet, and I want to know all the issues with the bike before I do. If it gives problems like my Monster has given me, then I'll probably get a reliable Japanese bike next. I love Ducati's Wow factor when people see it, and it's the small luxury I've allowed myself, but I need a good commuter. If Ducati isn't designing a good bike, they need to get their sh it together.

#6 ·
I agree with you Ed. TBH, I think this bike has captured the eye of a lot of new people to Ducati that were previous bullet proof Japanese owners...AND there is definitely merit to owning a Japanese bike. I've had 9 of them. Each one was reliable as the sun coming up every day. Let's be honest, they have earned that reliable reputation!!

Ducati isn't that. BUT they do have character...but at the price of reliability. I'm financially sound enough to put up with those quirks because I want the soul of the Italian machinery. And they are getting better with reliability, but let's be honest, they will never reach the level of the Japanese.

I need this site for all its glory...and hate. Hopefully, the glory will outweigh the hate. I sure don't want a pure fanboy site and I'm not going to get disappointed with a little negative feedback. Afterall, the bike surely isn't perfect.

#9 ·
This forum is no different from any other "technology "forum.
For example: smartphones....10 years ago the iphone changed everything and I still cant believe what you can get (android too)in a small piece of electronics. In those forums there are always some that are fanboys (they buy sight unseen)...some that are trolling / gathering info before they buy...and some that will just throw darts at it all day.

Here we are talking about a bike that has DQS, ABS, DTC, 3 different riding modes, Bluetooth, fuel injection etc.... most bikes 10 years ago didnt even have abs. The entire point of joining any forum is to share information, good or bad, with people that all have at least 1 thing in common, in this case its the SS.

Whether you choose to comment or just read the various posts, you get to pick and choose what information relates to your situation. Lets be happy that we have that "1 thing" to talk about...good or bad.

#10 ·
I think one of the contributing factors is the lack of aftermarket parts and accessories. Many of the other forums (other bikes), the discussion is around parts to make bikes go faster, sound better, bling and Yankee engineering. Since we really have nothing more than a tail tidy an a few stickers for tank protection, there is not much more to discuss after a few 1000 miles of fun - other than more fun.

Every new bike will have teething issues. However, most other manufactures have aftermarket parts to rectify the issue. The Indian scout had a terrible rear shock - within a few months there were a bunch of companies building or rebuilding the stock shock. Forum members even build springs and spacers to fix the front. It was amazing to transform that bike. I hope the few small issues will get resolved soon. In the meantime, lets ride.

#17 ·
This is a great point! The lack of aftermarket parts is a big deal here. Look at the heat issues...a lot of that is because of the CAT box under the rear cylinder. Yes, the Akra full system, for $3k, fixes that but if there were more exhaust options many of the heat complaints would go away. This is just one example.......

#11 ·
Just in case there are any doubts out there or any negative bastards - Quite simply and without bias - THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST, MOST USEABLE FUCKIN BIKE EVER BUILT BY DUCATI !!!!! - No fuckin arguments or negatives will be entertained - So STFU and ENJOY!!!!!!!

#13 ·
There are ALWAYS compromises!! Tell me a bike you've ever ridden which was perfect in every way?? It's never happened has it??
Bikes are always a combination of love it and hate it and you will never get absolutely everything perfectly wrapped up in one bike. Accept it for what it is!! If you're happy with it, ride it and enjoy it to the max!! If you're not happy with it, then sell it and go and buy some piece of characterless piece of crap which complies with the mediocrity of the general market place and then after riding that piece of crap for three months see how you feel about that!! My feelings are that Ducati have aimed this bike at a specific target in the marketplace and I believe they have built a quality, useable, everyday rideable bike which exudes character, quality and value for money, and if that's not what you're after then maybe you should reconsider!! JUST BLOODY ENJOY THE RIDE - ISN'T THAT WHY WE BUY THESE THINGS???

Reactions: Ed K
#20 · (Edited)
If it weren't for the heaviness and uncomfortable seating position, the 2006 Blue and Yellow CBR 1000RR would have been my near perfect bike. It would also need better storage to be perfect, but that could be fixed with some panniers.

My monster fixes the seated position problem but it's nowhere near as reliable as my old CBR and there's still the storage issue, which, again, is fixable. My Monster's reliability issue is what has me holding off on the SS. Ducati doesn't have a good track record with me after 2 Monsters having the same starting problem and countless YT videos showing others having similar issues.

#22 ·
My definition of the perfect bike changes while I change... depends on where and how I ride, among other factors.

What was, or could have been, the perfect bike then is different now.

I have an SS and a Scrambler now, both are near perfect for me, but for different reasons. While the BMW K1200S was near perfect for me at a different stage under different conditions.

Definitely agree though, that there's no perfect bike, and, actually, I'm grateful for that! The SS comes pretty close though!

#29 ·
Count me in as feeling the same as Amoslws. This forum seems to be overpopulated with crybaby snowfllakes who ponder how to remove reflectors and are surprised that their delicate hinneys get warm when sitting over a 200 degree cylinder. So far lots of wankers with zero advice re riding or much of anything else except issuing welcomes and liking each other. And heaven help anyone expressing an opinion different than the safe area crew! I had hopes for it at the beginning but now only look here once a week and so far see that I have not missed anything, and probably need to move it to three weeks or so. :rolleyes:

#30 ·
I absolutely agree with 'oldndumb', as I do with 'Amoslws'. Yes, there is some useful info given and really that's what a forum should really be for. However, apart from the whinging there are questions asked which beggar belief. You don't need to be an engineer or scientist to ride or own a bike but some items that are posted make me wonder how these people are able to get out of bed in a morning......
Of course this is not the only site where this is the case but I too find myself looking at the site for entertainment purposes rather than being able to glean any useful info.
All that being said, most of us live in a democracy and so there will always be the full range of input.
Anyway, must go, it's time to take my medication :grin2:

#31 ·
Ah, yes, democracy... the worst form of government...the very worst... until one compares it to everything else.

All kidding aside, I know we're all passionate about what we ride, but could it be sometimes we're a little too serious? It's just a website!

And with regards to the sometimes idle banter, imho, it doesn't have to be "either, or". We can have a highly technical discussion, as well as a little brother and sisterhood. Some of us have been riding for a long while on many bikes, some just jumped on a bike. Come one, come all...this is as much about sharing as it is learning without fear of asking a silly question.

#34 · (Edited)
This forum actually helped me make the final decision to get the bike. I was well informed of all the major issues and was prepared to deal with them before I made the purchase. The responses I received were honest and accurate. Both the negative and positive.

I don't think the info in here will scare away any serious potential owners. If anything it will at least better prepare people who are on the fence. Then if they do decide to get the bike, they won't be surprised with some of the issues we have and regret their decision.

For example . After I made the final decision to get the bike. I was trying to decide base model or S. Based on the experiences that some here noted regarding the QS I decided that it wouldn't be worth it for me. So far I'm glad I went with the base model.

#36 ·
8th bike, First Duc, Love it. Italian bikes have personality, Just like my R1200RT has personality, but different...

Sure, the glowing Check engine light is bugging me (need to get a cable to re set), I need to re spring it for my fat arse, and I can't see behind me, but other than that, Love the bike. Just bought wife a Scrambler Icon, so now we have 2 Italian bikes in the garage.

#37 ·
Since I've had no more problems with my first Ducati than most Japanese bikes I've owned, I've been puzzled with the level of complaints, which are disproportionate to the bike's relatively minor issues. But I think I finally have an answer:

Since Ducatis are more expensive, people simply have less tolerance for problems. And I suppose that's fair. Though it still doesn't mean they are less reliable. It's just that the expectations are higher.

#42 ·
I don't think there have been many topics, there has been a lot of views and complaints about the same topics but essentially one can count the issues on one hand. In two or three of those issues they are rider dependent and not the bike model. In fact even those issues have been minor and fixable. Must add though I have had 7 warranty claims and one rejection. Japanese manufacturers believe the 5% reject rate on the production line should not be sold whereas Ducati seem to use the warranty process to manage that 5%. Still they fix it and move on.

#38 ·
Very true. This is exactly my feeling on the matter. Based on the price and the brand position as a "luxury" item, I have very high expectations of the quality of the motorcycle, manufacturer and dealer network. If I had bought a new Hyosung, my expectations would be consistently lower than that of Ducati.

#39 ·
I agree with the two posts above. Had the same experience when I purchased a Benz. I went in assuming because it's a luxury brand and the vehicle costed more than average. That the reliability would be better. In fact it was the opposite. Went in with a different mindset when I purchased the Ducati. I realized they are smaller than the Japanese manufacturers so I may have to put up with more than average issues. As long as the issues are either covered under warranty and relatively easy to fix. I'm not too concerned. Other than what Rhino is going through... that's a difficult situation .

#41 · (Edited)
I'm still not sure whether the forum is for me (or against me, for that matter).

Regardless, I think we should figure out how to bring back OnD. Not necessarily for his exceptional technical expertise and motorcycling experience but more so to correct him on his egregiously incorrect spelling of heinie in his post above.

I mean...WTF is a hinney?

In defense of all the pillow-biting snowflakes out there in Pansieville, at least they can spell 'reflector' correctly. They might not have the courage to take their reflectors off and the thought of removing their fairings by themslves requires PTSD therapy, but they sure can spell reflector by golly when the handwringing reaches maximum intensity.

All joking aside, I really do miss OnD. I was hoping to learn a lot from him and perhaps meet up with him since he's just down the road from me. I thought it would be neat to present him with a carbon fiber walker complete with some DP reflectors and Rizoma mirrors, you know, as a gift of appreciation for his years of service to the motorcycling community and to help him get from the golf cart to the tee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.