1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Doing the service on the motorcycle and I came across a few questions:

-------------------------------------------

- How would one go about checking the wheel hub bearings without disassembling? Am I looking for excess grease on the bearing's dust covers? Or is there something more specific that I'm looking for?

-------------------------------------------

- For checking the steering tube hearing clearance, it seems like the service manuals (for 2015/2016 Monster/Multistrada motorcycles) don't even recommend putting the bike in the air to adjust the steering tube bearing play. The service manuals words:

"Excessive handlebar play or shaking fork in the steering head indicate that the play of the steering head bearings requires adjustment. Proceed as follows:

Loosen the clamp screw (1) that holds the steering tube to the steering head.

[Picture of clamp screw around the steering head bearing]

Slacken the clamp screws (2) securing the steering head to both fork legs.

[Picture of top triple tree bolts getting loosened]

Using the special tool (A) part no. 88713.1058 lock the ring nut (3) to a torque of 30 Nm ±5%. Push the steering head against the ring nut (3) and tighten the screw (1) to a torque of 18 Nm ±5% and screws (2) following a (1-2-3) sequence to a torque of 10 Nm ±5%"

I know for our motorcycle, the torque seems to be 35 Nm for the steering bearing ring nut... but it seems like the adjustment is happening with bike weight on the front wheel. Are you suppose to do this or are you suppose to suspend front end while you adjust the steering head bearing?

I appreciate the help in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most wheel bearings are sealed and do not weep grease or need servicing unless they are shot. If you can lift the wheel as if on a centerstand, you can turn and check for rough spots. Again if you can lift the front end like it was on a center stand, you can check the steering head bearings by swinging the handlebars from side to side. There should be no rough spots and it should go easily from side to side. I have an Abba race bike stand that allows me to lift the back wheel easily and use a scissors jack in conjunction to lift the front. More costly than race stands but I can do more with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the post, but that is how most traditional bike techs would check normal bikes. I'm questioning why Ducati is telling Ducati techs to adjust the bike's steering head this way (and whether or not do it the "normal" way or the "Duca" way).

I'm inclined to believe the Ducati engineers were that good to design self correcting bearings based on the tightness of the ring nut. However, they still feel the need to use liquid gaskets for the crankcases... so... 🤷‍♂️

I can check the steering play all I want, but when it comes to actually adjusting it, I want to follow the manuals (and go against the seemingly conventional ways of adjusting the steering head).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts