Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few questions on this subject, especially for those who have leveraged the Rizoma pigtails. Yeah, I SHOULD just wait until I have the bike to work through this, but I have some spare time to work on it now, and expect April to be more hectic at work- plus I'll be tempted to rush if I wait. I bought the Rizoma part to plug into this outlet, and will solder the leads from the Rizoma pigtails to my GPS power cable. Here are the questions:

1. Does the new 2021 950 model have the same connection? I don't expect anyone here to answer that, yet, and am contacting Ducati to find out. If someone has the correct name for that connection (is it just the accessory connection?), I would appreciate it.
2. On the 939SS, can you get to this connection without removing the fairing? This will help me understand if I can do it, or wait until the 600mi service (I assume the panel is removed by the dealer for the service). I also may go to the local dealership and take a look on their leftover 2020. I didn't see it while there this weekend, though.
3. Once plugged in, what is the polarity of the Rizoma pigtail? I see it has a red and a black wire. Sorry for being too impatient to wait until I have the bike to check. :)
4. How long should the wiring be, if I plug the GPS into the inside end of the left handlebar? I don't mind going a bit too long, but don't want overkill.

Thanks for any assistance. I used a similar setup for 7 years on the BMW, and it worked great. Now that it is time to sell the K, I just unplugged the connection (yes, I even kept the factory end cover), and it is like stock.

John

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@JohnTex

Your questions:
1. Does the new 2021 950 model have the same connection? Still unknown, but most likely will remain the same.
2. On the 939SS, can you get to this connection without removing the fairing? Yes, easily.
3. Once plugged in, what is the polarity of the Rizoma pigtail? Rizoma pigtail will directly plug in with correct polarity.
4. How long should the wiring be, if I plug the GPS into the inside end of the left handlebar? I did the same, and use a RAM mount, and just coil up the extra GPS wiring and tie it to the frame.

I assume you are configuring it the same way I did. It works great providing switched power to the GPS, and when I’m not using the GPS, it can be easily disconnected at the bullet connector.

Here’s what I did: Disconnect the OEM plug with sealed leads, and connect the Rizoma pigtail in its place...it will fit perfectly. The other end of the Rizoma pigtail will have half of a bullet connector. The other half a bullet connector needs to be soldered to the GPS leads. You can trace polarity through all parts by the wire color coding. Connect the Rizoma pigtail bullet connector to the bullet connector that was soldered to the GPS leads, and you’re done. And can easily be disconnected when the GPS is not in use.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950s, 2019 Multistrada 950s
45 Posts
I’m trying to identify the now famous Rizoma pigtail. Those who know - can you confirm that it is article no EE079H Turn Signal No Cut Cable?

·
Registered
2019MY Ducati Supersport S
46 Posts
Spent 10 to 15 mins stripping the accessory cable pigtail (dealer gave me a ‘spare’ so I can keep the original). Attached photos. Hopefully gives anyone thinking about doing this the confidence to have a go. Next step is to solder and heat shrink my new Optimate USB O-108 (if you are looking at doing same buy the Optimate USB O-108KIT).

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
I’m trying to identify the now famous Rizoma pigtail. Those who know - can you confirm that it is article no EE079H Turn Signal No Cut Cable?
Looks correct. However, the connectors on mine are white, and match the color of the socket it plugs into. Btw, I got mine at my Ducati dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I fitted the Optimate USB O-108 12v to 5v to USB A port to the bike. Powered via the switched accessory for sat nav/phone. I used an Optimate cable O-40 and cut the end off with the redundant connector (but kept the SAE end intact). Used a multimeter to confirm which switched accessory wire was +ve and worked my way back to identify which way round to solder. One small hiccup was that one set of wires much thicker than other, so heat shrink didn’t quite wrap the smaller wires. I have wrapped with high quality automotive tape. Pictures should explain it all for those interested (forgot to take photo of final wiring with auto tape wrap but it seems to have worked. Anyway what’s quite cool is that the set-up will only charge my phone when the engine is running.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I plan to use a rizoma pigtail and solder in the Garmin GPS fused leads, as with my last bike. I would like some confirmation on the location, though. I recognize things may be a bit different on my 950 vs the 939s. Without removing the panels, I was only able to find one blank plug on the right side (attached photo). Is that what you would expect? You can tell the location as I haven't removed the frame stickers 😂 😂 😂.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I plan to use a rizoma pigtail and solder in the Garmin GPS fused leads, as with my last bike. I would like some confirmation on the location, though. I recognize things may be a bit different on my 950 vs the 939s. Without removing the panels, I was only able to find one blank plug on the right side (attached photo). Is that what you would expect? You can tell the location as I haven't removed the frame stickers 😂 😂 😂.

View attachment 43086
@JohnTex Looks correct. If you look at the pictures I posted above you can see the 939 plug (with pigtail disconnected). Cannot be 100% sure but would expect no location change. You will also see the two heated grip connectors positioned slightly further towards centre of bike. You can also check with a mulitimetre (bike running as switched power). Hope this assists.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts