Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Jono here. Just signed up to the forum. Good to see some owner info on the supersport and test ride feedback emerging slowly.

Im in the market for a new bike after selling my '15 zx6r. Have narrowed it down to 2 Italians, a Tuono or a Supersport. I can buy an outgoing model brand new '16 Tuono RR for cheaper than the base model Supersport. The Supersport probably wont be available down my way (New Zealand) till late May.

Trying to decide which way to go. As i see it:

Tuono pros:
power
v4 sound
cheaper than supersport
available now
lots of aftermarket parts and mechanical knowledge of known issues
good bike for track days

Tuono cons:
service intervals shorter than supersport
not a good commuter, doesnt like low speeds (my opinion)
drinks lots of gas
no factory autoblipper

Supersport pros:
Autoblipper and QS
lightweight
Safe to say it will do more MPG than a Tuono

Supersport cons:
Have to wait till late may
Only 110hp
Expensive to buy (Supersport S for me is $3500 more than a '16 Tuono RR)
Ducati reliability can be questionable? You get to know your mechanic very well?

Maybe I'll buy one of each! Sadly not possible :(

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi all, Jono here. Just signed up to the forum. Good to see some owner info on the supersport and test ride feedback emerging slowly.

Im in the market for a new bike after selling my '15 zx6r. Have narrowed it down to 2 Italians, a Tuono or a Supersport. I can buy an outgoing model brand new '16 Tuono RR for cheaper than the base model Supersport. The Supersport probably wont be available down my way (New Zealand) till late May.

:(
The best way to make the final decision is to ride both bikes, since you've already done a basic comparison. Then you'll know.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Tuono cons:
service intervals shorter than supersport
not a good commuter, doesnt like low speeds (my opinion)
drinks lots of gas
no factory autoblipper

Supersport pros:
Autoblipper and QS
lightweight
Safe to say it will do more MPG than a Tuono

Supersport cons:
Have to wait till late may
Only 110hp
Expensive to buy (Supersport S for me is $3500 more than a '16 Tuono RR)
Ducati reliability can be questionable? You get to know your mechanic very well?

Maybe I'll buy one of each! Sadly not possible :(
Its funny, this was the only other bike I was considering this year in addition to the SS. It really comes down to what matters most to you. Some of your pros were cons for me and visa versa. I like that the SS is "only" 113hp, as I will never be doing any track days. The Tuono seems more sport than touring and will probably do better on the track with the added power.

You have a solid list here, just pick the ones that you cant live with or without and the picture will become clearer.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Two very different bikes, really, with different objectives.

Start from the beginning: what are you looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its funny, this was the only other bike I was considering this year in addition to the SS. It really comes down to what matters most to you. Some of your pros were cons for me and visa versa. I like that the SS is "only" 113hp, as I will never be doing any track days. The Tuono seems more sport than touring and will probably do better on the track with the added power.

You have a solid list here, just pick the ones that you cant live with or without and the picture will become clearer.
I have the same dilemma. an uptown dilemma anyway. I'm torn between the Tuonno RR, Speed Triple R and Supersport S. Leaning towards the Speed Triple at the moment. Although, the Supersport may win my heart after good demo ride in a couple of weeks, which is the only bike i have not seen in real time or ridden. i been following this site for a month and been takin it all in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two very different bikes, really, with different objectives.

Start from the beginning: what are you looking for?
I dont commute, my job comes with a work car.

I want something to take out on sunny weekends to blast around my local twisty roads, both with friends and also on my own. Something that I look forward to riding - something that is a bit of a 'treat' to ride and when I get home it makes me look forward to the next time I get to take it out.

Id like to do the odd track day but we have just had our first child so the likelihood of getting to the track more than once or maybe twice a year is slim.

Ill also use it once or twice a month to ride between Auckland and Tauranga to visit family (2.5hr ride each way)

Both bikes (Tuono and Supersport) fit the bill. As someone else said I should probably wait till the Supersport arrives and test ride them back to back... The Tuono feels very comfortable to me (coming off a zx6r) I like how my knees tuck under the tank on the Tuono and the seat is miles more comfortable than the zx6r. Probably need to see how the ergos feel on the Supersport as well and add that to the decision...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same dilemma. an uptown dilemma anyway. I'm torn between the Tuonno RR, Speed Triple R and Supersport S. Leaning towards the Speed Triple at the moment. Although, the Supersport may win my heart after good demo ride in a couple of weeks, which is the only bike i have not seen in real time or ridden. i been following this site for a month and been takin it all in.
Haha uptown dilemma, I like that saying! You are lucky you only have to wait a few weeks to try the Supersport. We wont see it here till late May (Which probably means June/July)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I dont commute, my job comes with a work car.

I want something to take out on sunny weekends to blast around my local twisty roads, both with friends and also on my own. Something that I look forward to riding - something that is a bit of a 'treat' to ride and when I get home it makes me look forward to the next time I get to take it out.

Id like to do the odd track day but we have just had our first child so the likelihood of getting to the track more than once or maybe twice a year is slim.

Ill also use it once or twice a month to ride between Auckland and Tauranga to visit family (2.5hr ride each way)

Both bikes (Tuono and Supersport) fit the bill. As someone else said I should probably wait till the Supersport arrives and test ride them back to back... The Tuono feels very comfortable to me (coming off a zx6r) I like how my knees tuck under the tank on the Tuono and the seat is miles more comfortable than the zx6r. Probably need to see how the ergos feel on the Supersport as well and add that to the decision...
Are you familiar with Ducatis? If not, and an SS won't be avail soon in your area, take a few out for a spin. Very different from an ZX6R or Tuono.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just seen a cycleworld journalist who rode the supersport at the launch was asked was asked to compare it to the tuono:

"This or the Tuono, they're basically the same price so which would you buy?" - Honestly, they're for two different riders. If you care more about outright performance and want a weekend toy and track weapon, the Tuono is absolutely incredible. But, even though it has upright ergonomics, I wouldn't call it comfortable and it definitely isn't traditionally pretty and its limited range would be annoying. The SuperSport is more for the guy who wants an actual commuter, but loves that traditional sportbike look. Neither purpose is better than the other, they're just different.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think you need to try both. Going to an L twin from an inline four is chalk and cheese and you may not like it. They're not silky smooth and you cant ride about at low revs. It's a real culture shock.
You're obviously a young guy so I'm thinking the 113 bhp may not be enough. But we can't decide for you.

The Ducati is going to have more 'character' but the Tuono might be a more rewarding ride. But I understand that the Police in NZ are pretty hot on speeding?

You're money, your choice. Try a Hyper or a 959 Panigale to see if the L twin is for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you need to try both. Going to an L twin from an inline four is chalk and cheese and you may not like it. They're not silky smooth and you cant ride about at low revs. It's a real culture shock.
You're obviously a young guy so I'm thinking the 113 bhp may not be enough. But we can't decide for you.

The Ducati is going to have more 'character' but the Tuono might be a more rewarding ride. But I understand that the Police in NZ are pretty hot on speeding?

You're money, your choice. Try a Hyper or a 959 Panigale to see if the L twin is for you.
Ok thanks, thats good insight. Will give a few Ducatis a test ride. I enjoyed the 130 odd HP of my zx6r so on paper the Supersport at 113 sounds like a downgrade from my old bike but it sound like the Supersport will have more torque so may be more enjoyable to ride on the streets where ill be doing 98% of the riding. As you say will have to test ride it to find out. Really enjoyed the tuonos v4 engine so will try to test a few Ducatis to see what the L twin is like.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ok thanks, thats good insight. Will give a few Ducatis a test ride. I enjoyed the 130 odd HP of my zx6r so on paper the Supersport at 113 sounds like a downgrade from my old bike but it sound like the Supersport will have more torque so may be more enjoyable to ride on the streets where ill be doing 98% of the riding. As you say will have to test ride it to find out. Really enjoyed the tuonos v4 engine so will try to test a few Ducatis to see what the L twin is like.
If you look only at maximum HP ratings you miss the point, as those big numbers are only at maximum RPMs, which you should know from your ZX6R experience. The new SS is tuned for street usage, which means favoring mid-range torque over max HP. As was already said, nothing wrong with the Tuono, but it isn't designed with the same focus as the SS.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Also on an in line four you can easily use all the rev range from idle upwards, you cant do that on a L twin, so ride before you buy.............

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also on an in line four you can easily use all the rev range from idle upwards, you cant do that on a L twin, so ride before you buy.............
But conversely, on an inline four, everything actually happens at the top of the rev range; it makes power poorly at low revs. A twin, OTOH, starts making usable power earlier in the rev range, making them (for me, anyway) much more satisfying to ride under real world conditions (traffic, noise considerations, flexibility, instant response to conditions, etc.).

PhilB

Reactions: oldndumb

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
But conversely, on an inline four, everything actually happens at the top of the rev range; it makes power poorly at low revs. A twin, OTOH, starts making usable power earlier in the rev range, making them (for me, anyway) much more satisfying to ride under real world conditions (traffic, noise considerations, flexibility, instant response to conditions, etc.).

PhilB
Completely agree with you Phi, but if you're used to a four then it can be quite a shock.............

·
Registered
179 Posts
Completely agree with you Phi, but if you're used to a four then it can be quite a shock.............
Oh yeah. Many years ago, I had my Monster and my ex had an airhead BMW. She then got a CBR600, and we both thought the thing was totally gutless, until we figured out that you needed to shift at what sounded like about 4x the engine speed. *Then* it woke up. Once she got used to that, then she took my Monster for a ride, and entered the freeway in 2nd gear. Yep -- different experiences.

PhilB

·
Registered
27 Posts
good point, maybe I try to get a hypermotard 939 test ride?
My guess would be that a Monster with stock bars is going to give you a closer approximation to the ergos on the SS. It's the closer cousin in terms of street-only performance. The hyper will get you the same engine, but sits too much like a dirt bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Jono,

I recently test rod an Aprilia Tuono 1100RR. This is what I thought -
Don’t be fooled by the semi naked fairing and the higher bars, this bike is a full on sports bike. It has the best engine on the planet, but it’s impossible to use its potential on the road. It pulls hard and smooth right from the bottom end and it’s relentless through the rev range. It’s hard to keep the front end down, even in higher gears. It just has too much power for road riding though. I like to throw my bikes around a bit and ride quite aggressively at times, but you can’t do it on this bike without risking losing your license every time you give it a handful. Braking and handling etc were excellent. The pegs are high, the same height as an RSV4, and it felt a bit head down arse up even though it has raised bars. After a while I started to feel a bit uncomfortable and I don’t think I’d want to ride it all day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Jono,

I recently test rod an Aprilia Tuono 1100RR. This is what I thought -
Don’t be fooled by the semi naked fairing and the higher bars, this bike is a full on sports bike. It has the best engine on the planet, but it’s impossible to use its potential on the road. It pulls hard and smooth right from the bottom end and it’s relentless through the rev range. It’s hard to keep the front end down, even in higher gears. It just has too much power for road riding though. I like to throw my bikes around a bit and ride quite aggressively at times, but you can’t do it on this bike without risking losing your license every time you give it a handful. Braking and handling etc were excellent. The pegs are high, the same height as an RSV4, and it felt a bit head down arse up even though it has raised bars. After a while I started to feel a bit uncomfortable and I don’t think I’d want to ride it all day.
Hi there (Alice?)

Thanks for the feedback of your tuono experience. What bike are you currently on? I found the tuono very comfortable after coming off a zx6r, raised bars were great, seat more comfortable, its maybe a bit wider than the zx6r which works for me and my knees tucked nicely into the tank grooves. It would be comfortable enough for the riding that id be doing (no more than 2.5 hrs in a day). I agree the foot pegs are aggressively positioned due to its sportsbike lean angle abilities.

Fully agree regarding the engine, it sounds amazing but it seemed to me that in any gear when I gave it a fist full and took it above 7000rpm to hear that sweet v4, then look at the speedo, im going well over the speed limit. I was doing 130kmh in first gear on the motorway! I felt like i would only use 1st and 2nd gear on the streets. Maybe cruise in 3rd on a long boring motorway ride to save gas. It would suit people who do lots of track days and want a performance weekend toy.

Sounds like the Supersport will be more suited as an everyday commuter, weekend twisty road rider and occasional track day goer. Definitely will be more street friendly than the tuono and will require more gear shifts and more work which is what i liked about the zx6r.

I know I should probably wait and test the more street friendly Supersport, but that Tuono is so f**king sweet! amazing handling, amazing power, amazing sound... great deals on the outgoing model right now... I just cant get it out of my head! trying to be patient and wait for the supersport S is hard lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts