Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this completed today. Very happy to have purchased the 'Planned Maintenance Package'. The bill for this one would have been almost $2k.

About half way through the technician sent me the attached video. Rather cool I thought, and maybe of interest to others.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fay Meyers is charging $2k for the valve adjustment? Lordy lordy. Half way? He's just got the covers off and the locking pins in. How many shims did he replace?

My local tech said it was $500 for the check -Four Hours. No more than $800 for the entire mess.

Two freaking grand??? ?? ??

I'd tell 'em to get to freakin' work and not play with the video machine. I'm paying by the hour. I'm going to call M#%Y&*i over there and ask her why they would charge so much and waste time taking pictures. CRAP
\\
BTW- why are they changing belts only after 18k miles? OK

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Wow! In 55 seconds, that mechanic just wiped away all the hate for Fay Meyers I remember from the early 2000s.

If that was his initiative, that guy deserves a bonus.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fay Meyers is charging $2k for the valve adjustment? Lordy lordy. Half way? He's just got the covers off and the locking pins in. How many shims did he replace?

My local tech said it was $500 for the check -Four Hours. No more than $800 for the entire mess.

Two freaking grand??? ?? ??

I'd tell 'em to get to freakin' work and not play with the video machine. I'm paying by the hour. I'm going to call M#%Y&*i over there and ask her why they would charge so much and waste time taking pictures. CRAP
\\
BTW- why are they changing belts only after 18k miles? OK
I didn't pay anything. $2k was what it would have been without PMP. It was for everything on the Ducati planned maintenance schedule. All fluids, including brakes, coolant, and fork oil. Oh, and changing the timing belts. If you're dealer isn't following the recommended schedule, it might explain their lower costs.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I didn't pay anything. $2k was what it would have been without PMP. It was for everything on the Ducati planned maintenance schedule. All fluids, including brakes, coolant, and fork oil. Oh, and changing the timing belts. If you're dealer isn't following the recommended schedule, it might explain their lower costs.
OK, there is stuff there that I hopefully won't need like brakes, coolant and fork oil. Did they replace the chain too?

How much did it cost with your maintenance plan?

I don't plan to have a dealer do the desmo and related services. I have a local tech that I like. He quoted me 4 1/2 hours for the desmo service IAW "the book". I am guessing that's the check and not the adjustment.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plan about $4k for 3 years full maintenance, 5 years extended warrantee, one set of tires and one replacement battery. Invoice had over $500 in parts, but no shims were mentioned. Since I expect to ride more than 36,000 mls in the 3 years I'm thinking that I'll get my money's work.

Just took it on the first ride post service. The only noticeable difference is the brakes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chain wouldn't have been included, but I replaced mine around 10k. Just the chain. I'll change my sprockets with the next one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just as a data point: I just had the dealer do my 18,000 service. Prior to the service, I was quoted $950 the two times I asked. On the day of the service about two hours before completion, they called me and said it would be $850. I was happy about that until they called me after a total of 8 hours of service and said it would be $1230. WTF?!? Anyway, not knowing what others have been paying for this service I got into it with them and ultimately we agreed on an even $1000 price.

To echo what others have said, the Ducati documents do say 4.5 hours for the service, but no one seems to be able to get it done that fast. (Like I said, it took my guys 8 hours.) Anyway, after comparing my experience to that of others on this site, I guess I got a fair deal.

On another note, for two or three days following the service, there was a noticeable delay on acceleration from stop in 1st gear in the touring mode. The delay was less in sport mode, although still there. I'm confident I wasn't imagining things. Anyway, after three days, the delay went away (or at least back to pre-service performance). Other than that, I've noticed nothing different except a slight improvement in rear brake performance.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I can't imagine that there is a set time for the valve check and adjustment. The check time would be standard but the adjustments can be from 0-16 tasks. Frankly, I think I'd rather have some adjustments rather than someone taking it apart and declaring it "good". Which means the valve check is worthless if it's been pencil whipped.

Another example is my brother's Beemer 6 cyl. There's a 30k mile interval for the 24 valve adjustment and he was wondering if it was worth the cost after reading Beemer forum. I browsed the forum and there were two groups of posts. One groups said the valves needed no adjustment. The other groups said they needed on average 3 or 4 valves adjusted. I'm pretty suspicious and I would not be surprised with the first group that the shop didn't even take the valve covers off, declared it good and took a check. How would you know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts