Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer completed my 18,000 mi Desmo Service (coincided with my annual service) on Saturday, The save the spark plugs and air filter for me. The air filter was reasonable clean for 18 k mi. The spark plugs looked acceptable for 18 k mi and they indicated that the air fuel ratio was oaky and not too lean.

The dealer indicated 8.5 hr of labor was required and the cost was slightly less than $1600.

The dealership remarked that they had not done a Desmo service on a SuperSport prior to mine, and they were impressed with how little I used the brakes. I suspect most dealers have not completed a Desmo service on a SuperSport.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,966 Posts
The dealer completed my 18,000 mi Desmo Service (coincided with my annual service) on Saturday, The save the spark plugs and air filter for me. The air filter was reasonable clean for 18 k mi. The spark plugs looked acceptable for 18 k mi and they indicated that the air fuel ratio was oaky and not too lean.

The dealer indicated 8.5 hr of labor was required and the cost was slightly less than $1600.

The dealership remarked that they had not done a Desmo service on a SuperSport prior to mine, and they were impressed with how little I used the brakes. I suspect most dealers have not completed a Desmo service on a SuperSport.
Thanks. Looks darker than I expected. However, 18K miles is a long way to go on standard plugs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
8.5 hours sounds like a lot.

I think my local tech said the book is 4.5 for the valve adjustment. Don't know what else but belts and plugs probably aren't a big addition amount of labor since the valve train is exposed. I am guessing the parts are another $150 + oil change?

·
Registered
944 Posts
8.5 hours sounds like a lot.

I think my local tech said the book is 4.5 for the valve adjustment. Don't know what else but belts and plugs probably aren't a big addition amount of labor since the valve train is exposed. I am guessing the parts are another $150 + oil change?
Here were my costs when I did it on my Monster. Prices will probably be similar for the SS:
Oil and filter ~ $45
Tool rental from Ducatitoolrental.com - $80 - $100
Shims - $9 each from tool rental
2 Belts ~ $95 from ca-cycleworks
Spark Plugs ~ $30
K&N air filter is around $76, but you only have to buy it once.
misc gaskets and O-rings ~ $40

On the low end, I'd only spend around $180 because the belts and gaskets were still good to go and all I needed were shims and and oil change. On the high end, around $400 when replacing more stuff.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Here were my costs when I did it on my Monster. Prices will probably be similar for the SS:
Oil and filter ~ $45
Tool rental from Ducatitoolrental.com - $80 - $100
Shims - $9 each from tool rental
2 Belts ~ $95 from ca-cycleworks
Spark Plugs ~ $30
K&N air filter is around $76, but you only have to buy it once.
misc gaskets and O-rings ~ $40

On the low end, I'd only spend around $180 because the belts and gaskets were still good to go and all I needed were shims and and oil change. On the high end, around $400 when replacing more stuff.
OK, when mine's due, I'll ride down to the Easy after we get it done and I'll buy dinner at the Acme Oyster Bar. :grin2:

yippie tie one on :surprise:

Really great overview with your references. Thanks for your instructions.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ditto here. I’m only 2 fast hours away from NOLA! :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ditto here. I’m only 2 fast hours away from NOLA! :)

OK, when mine's due, I'll ride down to the Easy after we get it done and I'll buy dinner at the Acme Oyster Bar. :grin2:

Honestly, I'd take you up on that, but until I've done it on my SS, I'd rather not pop my cherry on someone else's. It's the fairings that I find most intimidating because I want them back on perfectly, no broken tabs or mismatching gaps, etc.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Honestly, I'd take you up on that, but until I've done it on my SS, I'd rather not pop my cherry on someone else's. It's the fairings that I find most intimidating because I want them back on perfectly, no broken tabs or mismatching gaps, etc.
I appreciate your caution. I have a ways to go with 6500 miles on mine.

I've had the left side fairing off twice and it's a time consuming since all the screws are the same size and pitch but all are all different lengths, finish and heads. The tabs fit but be careful of losing the headlight grommet. The fairings are also light and very flimsy, it's sorta amazing how stiff it is once it's back on.

·
Registered
528 Posts

You could pop for dinner at Commander's Palace and still come out ahead!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Understand on fairings. I’ve considered, when feasible, to remove my fairings at home and deliver bike for service naked.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
What kind of special tools are necessary to do the valve service and change the belts?
Off the top of my head, and possibly needs correcting:

Cam holder locks
Tensioner socket
Angled and flat feeler gauges
Belt frequency meter
Cam socket
Maybe the rocker pre load kit
4mm Allen key
Crank turning tool, with timing wheel.
Shims.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Cam holder locks
Tensioner socket
Belt frequency meter
Cam socket
4mm Allen key
Shims.
Thanks. So by the sound it, for less than the cost of a complete desmo service I should be able to get all the tools required.
A kit like this should go a long way, no?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUCATI-Engine-Service-Tool-Kit-15-Service-Tools-/303133170308

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts

Cam holder locks
Tensioner socket
Belt frequency meter
Cam socket
4mm Allen key
Shims.
Also the shim measuring devices (micrometer and caliper) and the special one to help measure the closer shims.

I also made a tool to hold the rocker arms open so I could remove the collets and shims much more easily. I'll have to make a different one for this motor.

http://imgur.com/gallery/hajnd

·
Registered
944 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts