Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Ducati Supersport and it won't start and screen is flickering.
I hardly ride the motorcycle, and I did not use it for almost 2 weeks, and I kept it on charging all the time.
When I tried to start it yesterday, It started fine and I took it out from the parking, I put it on neutral gear, but it was still on first gear somehow and it stopped because I left the clutch and turned off.
Then I changed the gear back to Neutral again and tried to start it but nothing happened, the screen started flickering, the headlights and tail lights also started flickering. There was no crank. Also the screen flickers/resets. I saw a notification to set the date again. In some instances the screen looks OK (neutral light is on, screen lights up) but when pressing the button to start/crank the bike won't start, and the screen resets. When I press the horn, the sound it very dull and it resets the meter and starts flickering.
Can you please tell me what might be the problem? Is it is a dead battery issue or something else?

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
@deevakar Welcome! Sounds like it could be a dead battery.

What charger are you using? How is the charger wired to the battery?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Check all the charging cables and how they are attached to the battery. As Ed K said, sounds like a dead battery - could be loose charger connection and whilst you thought it was being charged, it wasn't due to a loose connection.

Reactions: Paddlefoot64

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Charge your battery to start with then verify your charging system is working. Barely using a bike is the worst thing you can do for it unless you’re maintaining it as such.

Are you sure the charger is working? What happens on the charger when you plug it into the bike?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@deevakar Welcome! Sounds like it could be a dead battery.

What charger are you using? How is the charger wired to the battery?
Thank you for replying, @Ed K.
I am using this charger:

& Yes, it is wired to the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check all the charging cables and how they are attached to the battery. As Ed K said, sounds like a dead battery - could be loose charger connection and whilst you thought it was being charged, it wasn't due to a loose connection.
Thank you @Triplesapper, for your reply. I will check the connections/wiring to the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charge your battery to start with then verify your charging system is working. Barely using a bike is the worst thing you can do for it unless you’re maintaining it as such.

Are you sure the charger is working? What happens on the charger when you plug it into the bike?
Thank you @Miweber929 for replying. I see that the charger is blinking when it is charging. If the battery is bad, and I have it plugged in to the charger, will it still start? or is it not a good practice?
I live in Chicago, and the weather has been cold, it is finally getting warmer, which is why I did not ride it before, I always kept it plugged in though so that the battery does not die.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Any chance you could borrow another charger from a frurnd and try that? It may be that the charger is broke and now your battery is flat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance you could borrow another charger from a frurnd and try that? It may be that the charger is broke and now your battery is flat
I am currently trying that. I started charging it last night. Do you know how long does it normally take to fully charge the battery?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am currently trying that. I started charging it last night. Do you know how long does it normally take to fully charge the battery?
It depends on the charger. I would suspect that there should be enough charge in the battery to start the bike after an overnight charge. I take it the new charger doesnt have any amp or voltage read out on it?

Try just turning the ignition on without starting it and seeing what the screen does.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Do you have access to a Multimeter? If so you could check the charge in the battery with that.

If the screen comes to life, you can check the basic condition of the baterry

From the Owners Handbook page 161 Battery Voltage

Battery voltage
This function allows you to check the motorcycle battery voltage. You enter the Setting Menu.
Select "BAT." option, by pressing button (1) or (2).
Once function is highlighted, press CONFIRM MENU button (4).
The information will be displayed as follows:
  • if battery voltage is below 11.0 V, a flashing the message "LOW" is displayed;
  • if battery voltage is between 11.0 V and 11.7 V the reading will be displayed flashing;
  • if battery voltage is between 11.8 V and 14.9 V the reading will be displayed steady;
  • if battery voltage is between 15.0 V and 16.0 V the reading will be displayed flashing;
  • if battery voltage is above 16.1 V, a flashing message "HIGH" is displayed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have access to a Multimeter? If so you could check the charge in the battery with that.

If the screen comes to life, you can check the basic condition of the baterry

From the Owners Handbook page 161 Battery Voltage

Battery voltage
This function allows you to check the motorcycle battery voltage. You enter the Setting Menu.
Select "BAT." option, by pressing button (1) or (2).
Once function is highlighted, press CONFIRM MENU button (4).
The information will be displayed as follows:
  • if battery voltage is below 11.0 V, a flashing the message "LOW" is displayed;
  • if battery voltage is between 11.0 V and 11.7 V the reading will be displayed flashing;
  • if battery voltage is between 11.8 V and 14.9 V the reading will be displayed steady;
  • if battery voltage is between 15.0 V and 16.0 V the reading will be displayed flashing;
  • if battery voltage is above 16.1 V, a flashing message "HIGH" is displayed.
Awesome, thanks. Let me try it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thank you @Miweber929 for replying. I see that the charger is blinking when it is charging. If the battery is bad, and I have it plugged in to the charger, will it still start? or is it not a good practice?
I live in Chicago, and the weather has been cold, it is finally getting warmer, which is why I did not ride it before, I always kept it plugged in though so that the battery does not die.
Yup, I get the cold, same thing here in Minnesota. I pulled the bikes out of storage 3 weeks ago and they’ve just been sitting because of the **** weather.

I would not try to start the bike on the charger, this big V-Twin has a lot of draw and will more than likely kill the charger. For future my personal experience is that I have better battery life not keeping the charger on it all the time, but instead leaving it on a few days then off the charger for 2 weeks or so. Also keep in mind the charging system on 99% of motorcycles is not very robust and will not let a bike run if it’s bad unlike an automotive system.

Try just turning the ignition on without starting it and seeing what the screen does.
Op, this is great advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, I get the cold, same thing here in Minnesota. I pulled the bikes out of storage 3 weeks ago and they’ve just been sitting because of the **** weather.

I would not try to start the bike on the charger, this big V-Twin has a lot of draw and will more than likely kill the charger. For future my personal experience is that I have better battery life not keeping the charger on it all the time, but instead leaving it on a few days then off the charger for 2 weeks or so. Also keep in mind the charging system on 99% of motorcycles is not very robust and will not let a bike run if it’s bad unlike an automotive system.

Op, this is great advice.
Thank you for the great advice. I will definitely try not keeping it on charging all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I am suspicious of any battery more than 3 years old.

With fire trucks, we replace them every two years, even if they are on a trickle charger, because battery failure (and the truck doesn't start) can lead to a loss of life.

Reactions: deevakar

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
@Triplesapper I tried to turn it on, but it won't start. I have made a video of what is happening when I tried to start it.
Here is the link to the video:
It's going back and fourth from the battery level showing 12.4 and flickering, showing Battery Low.

Thank you so much for helping!
I think you have a sketchy battery connection or a bad cell in your battery. Either way I’d pull the fairing to check it out and/or replace the battery.

Reactions: deevakar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you have a sketchy battery connection or a bad cell in your battery. Either way I’d pull the fairing to check it out and/or replace the battery.
Sure, I will check the battery connection. Thank you!
Also, If I have to replace the battery, what battery should I purchase?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sure, I will check the battery connection. Thank you!
Also, If I have to replace the battery, what battery should I purchase?
Since the bike lives out in the cold I would forgo any of the fancy lithium ion or Shorai style lithium iron lightweight batteries that so many people recommend because they (mostly) require a special charger and like to be “warmed up” before using in cold weather. A good, sealed Yuasa will last you quite a while.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve used this charger/maintainer every winter since I got the bike in 2017. I plug it in under the seat using the provided connector in the fall and don’t touch it again until spring. It always starts right up and I’m still on the original battery.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts