Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@deevakar
How is the charger connected to the battery?
1) using an optimate connector
2) fairing removed, and charger leads are connected direct to battery
3) charger is connected through a coaxial, SAE or other connector that was installed on the bike by the dealer

Another alternative is to remove the battery from bike and bring it to the shop so they can test if battery is good or bad, and replace as necessary.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Get the battery tested or just temporarily connect another battery and see if cures the problem.

If it is the battery, now we know what to look for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve used this charger/maintainer every winter since I got the bike in 2017. I plug it in under the seat using the provided connector in the fall and don’t touch it again until spring. It always starts right up and I’m still on the original battery.

Won't fault something that works, but, certainly feels like a premium for that name/badge on it.

But similar habit here - I've used the same $20-25 Battery Tender (brand) for over a decade now without issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Won't fault something that works, but, certainly feels like a premium for that name/badge on it.
Yeah, I don’t disagree. I just wanted to get something I knew would meet the manual’s specs and plug right into the receptacle under the seat without modification or fairing removal. This met both goals and has proven to work fine when plugged in for extended periods of time.

For fellow sticklers, from page 253:
“Charging and maintenance of the battery during winter storage
Your motorcycle is equipped with a connector (1), under the seat, to which you can connect a special battery charger (2) (Battery maintainer kit part no. 69924601A - various countries; Battery maintainer kit part no. 69924601AX - for Japan, China and Australia only) available from our sales network.”

·
Registered
892 Posts
I begrudge paying Ducati for a charger that fits their under seat connector when I have an Oxford Batted Charger that I connect to the battery and leave on with its connector cable routed behind the fairing. Used it on different bikes now for over 8 years without a problem - never let me down.

Reactions: GPJake and Oldrider

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,704 Posts
Looking at the video I don't think the battery is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@Derek Suspect solenoid, ECU, or even starter switch as one other Member experienced?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Ducati Supersport and it won't start and screen is flickering.
I hardly ride the motorcycle, and I did not use it for almost 2 weeks, and I kept it on charging all the time.
When I tried to start it yesterday, It started fine and I took it out from the parking, I put it on neutral gear, but it was still on first gear somehow and it stopped because I left the clutch and turned off.
Then I changed the gear back to Neutral again and tried to start it but nothing happened, the screen started flickering, the headlights and tail lights also started flickering. There was no crank. Also the screen flickers/resets. I saw a notification to set the date again. In some instances the screen looks OK (neutral light is on, screen lights up) but when pressing the button to start/crank the bike won't start, and the screen resets. When I press the horn, the sound it very dull and it resets the meter and starts flickering.
Can you please tell me what might be the problem? Is it is a dead battery issue or something else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hardly ride the motorcycle, and I did not use it for almost 2 weeks, and I kept it on charging all the time.
When I tried to start it yesterday, It started fine and I took it out from the parking, I put it on neutral gear, but it was still on first gear somehow and it stopped because I left the clutch and turned off.
Then I changed the gear back to Neutral again and tried to start it but nothing happened, the screen started flickering, the headlights and tail lights also started flickering. There was no crank. Also the screen flickers/resets. I saw a notification to set the date again. In some instances the screen looks OK (neutral light is on, screen lights up) but when pressing the button to start/crank the bike won't start, and the screen resets. When I press the horn, the sound it very dull and it resets the meter and starts flickering.
Can you please tell me what might be the problem? Is it is a dead battery issue or something else?
assuming all leads are connectted correctly its very likley its a battery issue. Even though your charger goes thru all its cycles, which explains the lights flashing , but the manual for the charger would tell you, once it has finished and you disconnect the charger the battery , if its a dud , will not hold any charge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since the bike lives out in the cold I would forgo any of the fancy lithium ion or Shorai style lithium iron lightweight batteries that so many people recommend because they (mostly) require a special charger and like to be “warmed up” before using in cold weather. A good, sealed Yuasa will last you quite a while.
The lithium battery "go to sleep" at sub 0 temps and need "waking up" . im told turning indicators on works

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
assuming all leads are connectted correctly its very likley its a battery issue. Even though your charger goes thru all its cycles, which explains the lights flashing , but the manual for the charger would tell you, once it has finished and you disconnect the charger the battery , if its a dud , will not hold any charge.
Thank you Grahame for your response. I checked all the connections, everything looks good/ no loose connections. I ordered a new battery, It will arrive next week and I will test it with the new battery.
QQ, Do I have to activate the battery (not sure how to do that) or just connect it and try?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@deevakar
How is the charger connected to the battery?
1) using an optimate connector
2) fairing removed, and charger leads are connected direct to battery
3) charger is connected through a coaxial, SAE or other connector that was installed on the bike by the dealer

Another alternative is to remove the battery from bike and bring it to the shop so they can test if battery is good or bad, and replace as necessary.
It's the option 3). I have already ordered a replacement battery, it will arrive next week. I hope it's only the battery issue.
It's a good idea to remove the battery and take it to the shop to test. Let me try it!
Thank you for sharing the great idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@Derek Suspect solenoid, ECU, or even starter switch as one other Member experienced?
Thanks, I will start by replacing the battery, and see if that works or not. If not, I might be needing some guidances on where to purchase the other replacement parts and how to replace them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am suspicious of any battery more than 3 years old.

With fire trucks, we replace them every two years, even if they are on a trickle charger, because battery failure (and the truck doesn't start) can lead to a loss of life.
I completely agree with you on this. Thanks for sharing your response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this exact problem ... all the symptoms above . I thought it may have been the battery and replaced it... still no joy. I took it to Ducati and they diagnosed a faulty starter relay... replaced it and all good now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Perhaps you could just borrow a battery and determine that was the culprit?

We've been down that starter relay fault before here. IIRC, it's not a generic relay but a specific Ducati part to the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I had this exact problem ... all the symptoms above . I thought it may have been the battery and replaced it... still no joy. I took it to Ducati and they diagnosed a faulty starter relay... replaced it and all good now.
Thank you @phil939SS , how much did they charge you to replace the Starter Relay?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Perhaps you could just borrow a battery and determine that was the culprit?

We've been down that starter relay fault before here. IIRC, it's not a generic relay but a specific Ducati part to the bike.
Thanks, I have ordered a new battery, it will arrive this Sunday. I am gonna try to see if that works or not!
Regarding the Starter Relay, do you know if it is easy to replace on my own?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts