Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although they’ve improved the performance, the physical appearance, imo too, has gotten worse.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I wonder why KTM never goes beyond off road and naked bikes? Is there any reason they won't make a Sport Tourer or Sportbike? They're also expensive and have a reputation of being hard to maintain.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wonder why KTM never goes beyond off road and naked bikes? Is there any reason they won't make a Sport Tourer or Sportbike? They're also expensive and have a reputation of being hard to maintain.
There are some choices. There's the RC8R, discontinued, but based on the 2013-era Duke 1190. The RC390 makes a fine track bike if you want light, numble and underpowered. Finally, there's the option for the track/race only Kramer, based on the Duke 690. https://www.kramermotorcyclesusa.com/

But really, it's the same reason that Ducati doesn't build an actual dirt bike and just muddies the waters with the Scrambler.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RC8 was a great bike, but not competitive with its peer superbikes...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
There are some choices. There's the RC8R, discontinued, but based on the 2013-era Duke 1190. The RC390 makes a fine track bike if you want light, numble and underpowered. Finally, there's the option for the track/race only Kramer, based on the Duke 690. https://www.kramermotorcyclesusa.com/

But really, it's the same reason that Ducati doesn't build an actual dirt bike and just muddies the waters with the Scrambler.
I took a test ride on an RC8. Since it was a group ride I couldn't get on the cam but I'll tell you it certainly wasn't peaky. I would bet it would really kick. It also has adjustable controls and this one was set up just about like the SS, really comfy. But it is monoposto and certainly not a sport tourer. And of course they haven't sold them in 8 or 10 years. I see they hold their value used. I am surprised that they haven't sold a version of that even with the Duke engine.

I will also say that it's the only KTM I've ridden that I felt had it's vaunted power. I rode the first Super Duke 990 and later a Duke 690. Neither impressed me with lots of power, good torque but corked up on the top end, IMO. I was mildly disappointed with both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts