Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of an integrated tail light for the 2021s?

MotoDynamic isn't showing the prior year versions as compatible with 2021.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@GPJake If you haven’t already, you might call them. Maybe they just haven’t updated their website yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Ed K - I did actually.

They are confident the prior year unit will fit physically.
They are confident the running light portion & brake light portion will work.

However, because the 2017-20 lights were not LED, but 2021 are LED, they aren't certain of compatibility with their kit & resistors from prior years.

Because of that, they aren't confident the turn signals/indicators will work.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thanks @Ed K - I did actually.

They are confident the prior year unit will fit physically.
They are confident the running light portion & brake light portion will work.

However, because the 2017-20 lights were not LED, but 2021 are LED, they aren't certain of compatibility with their kit & resistors from prior years.

Because of that, they aren't confident the turn signals/indicators will work.
Not sure if this helps or not but I replaced my signals with the Ducati Performance LED units and had no issues with the blink rate. The front signals are LED as well so if I had to guess I'd say it should work and that the factory relay is LED capable; worse case would be adding some resistors to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Mike. They are likely erring on the side of caution since they haven’t tested it yet. I bet you will be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To have the info here, New Rage Cycles is listing their fender eliminator with almost integrated indicators as 950 / 2021 compatible:

Edit: to clarify, they do require a selection for either a 939 version or 950 version. Same? Different? Who knows, but their site requires you specify, so...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went ahead and bought a Moto Dynamics integrated light to try on the 950.

Definitely not a plug & play fit as with the 939s.

Pictures to illustrate. The connectors aren't the same. Not ready to cut off the factory connectors to try wiring without the connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Rather than cut the factory connectors, can you cut the the Moto Dynamics connectors and replace those? Then if/when you do put the bike back to standard your OEM indicators will fit back on

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rather than cut the factory connectors, can you cut the the Moto Dynamics connectors and replace those? Then if/when you do put the bike back to standard your OEM indicators will fit back on
Great point. I'll search around and see what I can find.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Talked to MotoDynamics. They are struggling to find a supplier for the connectors the 2021 needs.

Tonight I ended up just cutting the factory signal wires half way and splicing them onto the MotoDynamic adaptor. Soldered, heat shrink tubing, works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Talked to MotoDynamics. They are struggling to find a supplier for the connectors the 2021 needs.
I find that hard to believe. There will be someone out there who uses the same style connector. Im sure this looks like them

If not, there will be something on the rest of their pages

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find that hard to believe. There will be someone out there who uses the same style connector. Im sure this looks like them

If not, there will be something on the rest of their pages
The new connectors are black and a bit smaller

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just saw this. I also installed the moto dynamics back in the beginning of may. No issues other then the plugs.
Did you also snip the factory signals & splice onto the MD adapter?

Asking because after riding with a friend yesterday, he pointed out a small chunk of the lights are dimmer.

Looking straight at the unit, the top row, right half (3 lights/bulbs) is noticeably dimmer than the rest of the unit at normal running (not breaking). I say noticable because once pointed out, it is, but not drastically. Its MORE noticable in dim/dark light.

Have you experienced this? Have you given a good check (possibly in dimmer area)?

I've used MotoDynamics on a few bikes & love their stuff. Never had an issue before. Leads me to think my splicing caused this, but not sure as I over-engineered it if anything in my opinion (stripped, conncected wires, applied flux, soldered, heat shrink over top).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you also snip the factory signals & splice onto the MD adapter?

Asking because after riding with a friend yesterday, he pointed out a small chunk of the lights are dimmer.

Looking straight at the unit, the top row, right half (3 lights/bulbs) is noticeably dimmer than the rest of the unit at normal running (not breaking). I say noticable because once pointed out, it is. Its MORE noticable in dim/dark light.

Have you experienced this? Have you given a good check (possibly in dimmer area)?

I've used MotoDynamics on a few bikes & love their stuff. Never had an issue before. Leads me to think my splicing caused this, but not sure as I over-engineered it if anything in my opinion (stripped, conncected wires, applied flux, soldered, heat shrink over top).
i used the new black oem connectors from the lights I removed. I have not noticed that issue. But I will check in about 2 hours and post a pic when I get home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i used the new black oem connectors from the lights I removed. I have not noticed that issue. But I will check in about 2 hours and post a pic when I get home.
As in you cut the ends off the OEM signals & used those, right? That is what I did.

I didn't notice this "dim" issue myself until my friend pointed it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts