Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like others, I'm waiting on a 2021 SS 950 S.
I have a cash deposit at a couple different dealers waiting to see who can get one first.

I've called 5 different dealers in my area, all with the same result.

"We have no idea when we'll get them. Probably a few months at minimum. You're first in line now that we have your deposit. Nothing we can do to speed it up."

So... who has some tricks we can do to get one of these quicker? ;)

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
same story here, the good news is they have started to deliver in Europe

Reactions: GPJake

·
Registered
892 Posts
I don't think you can fast track your way to getting one. I doubt very much that Dealers will have a 'spare' 2021 Supersport either as they are bought to order. The Dealer may have ordered one as a Demo but it will be a while before they release the Demo bike for sale, as they will want to keep it to attract potential buyers.

Once an order has been placed with Ducati, my Dealer said they get 2 weeks notice from Ducati of when the bikes are being shipped.

I think you will just have to be patient - like the rest of us 😈

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
"We have no idea when we'll get them. Probably a few months at minimum. You're first in line now that we have your deposit. Nothing we can do to speed it up."
I've seen and heard the same thing locally, even with regards to new Honda's (I have a '22 Grom SP on order, I should see it between now and December is all they can tell me).

The only thing I do know are the higher volume dealers normally get their bikes earlier so maybe a call to AMS Ducati or another high volume dealer may give a better idea. Or call Ducati NA, they have been helpful when I called them.

My local dealer offered me one one over the winter, originally saying they were invoiced for theirs in February so he figured he'd see it within a few weeks but I have seen that drop way back and May was now the delivery time frame. I thought about going 950 but without a cruise I don't have a huge desire to move up.

Glad to see you are making the move, did you get a chance to ride a 939 yet?

·
Registered
172 Posts
So... who has some tricks we can do to get one of these quicker? ;)
The entire first shipment from Italy is going to arrive on our shores at the same time. They will all ship out from the port at the same time. The first batch will most likely not arrive at the dealerships simultaneously but they will arrive with a day or two of each other.

Did you see last year when the first V4SL's showed up that all the dealers had their first ones within a day or two of each other? And the same with the Streetfighter V4?

I'm not sure why you think that there's a way to get a mass produced Ducati any faster? The first shipment isn't going to come by plane to the port and then I don't think you can realistically speed up the transport from the port to your dealer.

And then the dealer is still going to have to PDI the thing...

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see you are making the move, did you get a chance to ride a 939 yet?
I took one for a short trip... Last year? Or whenever I was considering one before... It's been a blur...

I suppose a leftover 939 is out of the question?
The discount isn't worth it. I don't mind paying a few more bucks for the small tweaks on the '21s

·
Registered
892 Posts
The bikes will be shipped to order and as Sherpa23 says they will arrive en masse as part of a larger cinsigment order for that particular country. They will then get shipped to the Dealers who have placed the orders as thier customers have put a deposit down. Dealers can't and don't have the space to have several brand new model bikes in their showrooms that haven't been pre-ordered.

All good things come to those who wait

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If it's any validation, I've noticed that all Duc sportbikes at the local store have been in short supply for the last month or two. That's in comparison to Beemers and Triumphs. I'd guess there are as many Beemer 1800 megalodons vs the Duc sportbikes in the store. BTW- they're also giving test rides on the Beemer mammoths.

My point about purchasing a 939 vs 950 had to do with availability, not cost. That's respective of the shortage of the Ducs as mentioned above. Heck, I purchased mine used at AMS. They had even cheaper ones after I purchased mine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Of course Ducati could have had a mad moment and decided to use the Ever Given to ship their bikes 🤣

·
Registered
172 Posts
Of course Ducati could have had a mad moment and decided to use the Ever Given to ship their bikes 🤣
on a serious note,I am fairly confident that parts that Ducati needs to finish bikes (no idea which models or where they would be in the production line) were tied up in that whole blockage debacle. They get a lot of parts from Asia and that’s the route they would take to get to Italy.

EDIT:

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
868 Posts
Everything I have heard is April arrival in North America. If they are still waiting on parts stuck in or behind the Suez blockage, they are way behind that April target. They should already be in crates and containerized at Customs by now. Port of Entry for USA is in New Jersey, then bikes get apportioned and start shipping. Your Philadelphia, NYC and Baltimore dealers will have them first. Being from Portland my experience is that Portland/Seattle will probably see them 7-10 days later.

Is a week delay worth the hassle? If you deposited at a Philly dealer you'd still have to ship it to wherever you are. There really isn't a way to "fast track" one except maybe placing your cash deposit at a Premium dealer rather than a multi-line dealer, but that's not a guarantee either. My guess is Premium dealers get first dibs, but it's up to the overland shipper once Ducati gets them out of Customs.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
The 2021 V2 is in at the dealers, mighty tempting ..but I'll wait at least until the end of April

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The 2021 V2 is in at the dealers, mighty tempting
However there is no difference between the '20 and '21 V2 so it really doesn't matter which year you buy. Local dealer has had a red '20 and '21 and a white '21 V2 most of the winter here in Minnesota, they seem to be readily available for test drives........Motorcycle of Charlotte looks to have a couple '21's.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea - the few dealers I visited had a couple other 2021 Duc's, just no 950's unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I went to the local store yesterday. Dozens of Triumphs and Beemers, only 3 Ducs total. It looked like the inventory was a little low on the other two brands as well but just a Pentegale, Street Fighter and a Scrambler. I'm guessing that the shop is going to be hit with doing a lot of set up and assemblies when the new bikes come in.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts