Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not having much luck these days with my Supersport. While doing a U-Turn today down a dead end, I hit a small patch of sand and my bike fell over on the right side. In terms of damage, the fairing has a decent amount of little scratches throughout. The biggest actual scratch is on the front headlight fairing, below the mirror, which got knicked pretty good. Besides that, the tank cover got a few dents.

Obviously happy I am okay but it was just a stupid mistake and probably avoidable if I was being more careful. I have insurance on the bike with a $1000 deductible. I am wondering in cases like these, does it make much sense to get it repaired myself or just going through insurance, get it fixed completely, and just dealing with an increased premium?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what they would do or have done in similar situations? I am also curious if there is anything that I can do to potentially buff out the fairings without completely replacing them...

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sory to hear that Buddy, all offs are bad, but the small offs are the most annoying.

Pay for the repairs yourself. If the US is anything like the UK you will have increased insurance premiums for 5 years if you claim on your insurance.
Fairing doesnt look too bad - if you can live with the scratches then leave it.
You may be able to get it repaired at an automotive paint shop. If not and you do want it fixed, buy the plastics and fit them yourself

Do you have such thing as protected No Claims Bounus in the US? In the UK we can pay a few quid extra to protcet our No Claims Discount.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I spoke with the Ducati dealer who has helped me with a few things in the past year. I mean the damage to the bike just hearing it over the phone, he said would probably be about 1500 for all the fairings, and then the tank is the bigger piece. The tank itself he said was $2,800. All this is without even factoring labor into the equation.

I am most likely going to through insurance and bite the bullet. He mentioned that he can do the estimate for $180 instead of the Geico agent that would do come out and do it. He said 99% of the time he can fight and get more money for my damage then gieco would estimate. So that brings my total to about $1,180 all in for everything (deducatible plus his estimate)

Very unfortunate overall but worse things have happened I am sure. I am more curious on how much my insurance will go up but I guess I won't know for a little while.

Edit: I think he thought the fuel tank got scratched not the Clutch Cover (I believe that is what it is) so I am not sure how might that piece to repair would be.

·
Super Moderator
7,605 Posts
@alexc2327 Glad u r ok! Talk to your agent before your file…s/he will tell you if it will affect your rates, and about how much. Likely it would, but call. The agent most likely won’t report it, if you don’t report it, even if you told the agent about it.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
no, don't use insurance for it unless you must. Scratches don't affect your safety in this matter. Take the fairing out, see the bolts if they didn't bent so when you ride faster they won't lose. I think going wild and wrap it would cost 500$? so also not worth to cover something that's only visible when you parked and anyone would notice from 3 feet away.
"Verdict": leave as it is and wait for some offer of used ones in oem condition.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Some of this is dependent upon whether you know a good body shop or want to go the wrap route mentioned above. The tank can be straightened and painted, I would think the same for the plastic pieces. If you have no confidence in body and paint shop, then a sloppy job might drive you crazy. I have someone I know locally who does a good job and would tell me if didn't think so. BTW- the scratches on the engine can be smoothed with flat file and touched up with an airbrush with touch up paint. I would not let the insurance company force me into repair if I wasn't confident but might consider this if I could pay for it out of pocket and not contact insurance.

The next idea is to just insist on factory replacement parts, pay the deductible and move on. I don't know why you would pay for an appraisal, the painted replacement parts are catalogued and the labor is straight forward. Just have the dealer order the parts and put them on, pay the $1000 deducible out of pocket have the insurance company pay the rest. Other than the engine scratches, I didn't see any skill labor other than remove and replace.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Take it in, have the quote done, submit to insurance, get the bike repaired like it was, that’s why you have it. You’re into repairs pushing $4k with it being the tank, there’s no cover on this bike, plus side panels plus labor so get it done and get it done right. I had a ladder fall over in the garage and fell into the bike, something like $3K for panels and a headlight; you’ll have a ton of labor as well.

As far as if it will increase your premium, how many claims have you had recently? How many do you expect to have in the near future? By that I’m saying you said in the first thread this was avoidable if you were being careful. If you’re going to be in situations often where you aren’t careful you will see large increases as you have more claims, to the point they will drop you. But if you aren’t, and this is the first one, it shouldn’t be awful. I would say nothing to maybe 20% increase on this one; you have a high deductible, that helps. I also have a high deductible, and saw no increase with mine.

It looks rideable, that’s a plus!!!! Glad it wasn’t worse :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it in, have the quote done, submit to insurance, get the bike repaired like it was, that’s why you have it. You’re into repairs pushing $4k with it being the tank, there’s no cover on this bike, plus side panels plus labor so get it done and get it done right. I had a ladder fall over in the garage and fell into the bike, something like $3K for panels and a headlight; you’ll have a ton of labor as well.

As far as if it will increase your premium, how many claims have you had recently? How many do you expect to have in the near future? By that I’m saying you said in the first thread this was avoidable if you were being careful. If you’re going to be in situations often where you aren’t careful you will see large increases as you have more claims, to the point they will drop you. But if you aren’t, and this is the first one, it shouldn’t be awful. I would say nothing to maybe 20% increase on this one; you have a high deductible, that helps. I also have a high deductible, and saw no increase with mine.

It looks rideable, that’s a plus!!!! Glad it wasn’t worse :)
I don't have any claims ever. This would be my first and I don't plan to have any in the future of course. Who knows though. I'm leaning towards insurance just so everything is perfect. Good to hear that it was only 20%. Thats not horrible

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I do go the insurance route, is it normal for the body shop to be charging for the estimate? It seems like that should be part of the deductible. The dealer on the phone was very convincing that I should pay him to do the estimate ($180) because he will fight and make sure they fix it correctly and do not cut any corners. He had mentioned, Geico trusts his shops and he has a good relationship with the head of motorcycle insurance at Geico and they will never question him.

This being my first claim it just seems odd.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@alexc2327 Pay $180 for a quote???
Yup basically pay the shop to do the estimate instead of Gieco. He was saying that Gieco will trust his estimate and he never has any issues. Obviously, Gieco is going to try and pay the least amount possible where he will do a correct estimate and make sure everything is replaced in the right way.

Seems unnecessary but he was like he just had a situation happen where a recent customer had Gieco estimate 4k where he came in at 10k.

I feel like if I get an estimate from Gieco and I bring it to his shop, he should be able to adjust the amount and get me a higher price without me paying 180 at the beginning to get his estimate but who knows...

·
Super Moderator
7,605 Posts
I wouldn’t pay one cent for a quote...but it's your call.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It’s not that unusual anymore for bike shops to charge for a quote, I’ve personally run into it as well as know other who have, too.

Reasoning behind it has been explained to me as this: to do a “proper“ quote, they’ll have to strip bodywork off and take the bije apart to see how bent and damaged parts are underneath. Also, MANY people go in for a quote, submit the claim and keep the money or shop around that quote so the shop is out their time and effort and get nothing for it.

The shops I’ve heard about and have dealt with, however, will apply that charge to the repair fees as long as you do the repairs there.

I would ask if that’s the case, I would hope it is.

In full disclosure there are 2 Ducati shops in my area, one charged for a quote, one did not. When I had my mishap I used the one that did not for a myriad of reasons, not just they didn’t charge. But that was a factor.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good to hear that it was only 20%.
That’s a number I pulled out of my butt, btw, so don’t hold it as gospel. It’s what I’ve seen and experienced over the years: either no change to like a 20% increase but I have no idea who your insurance is, what your insurance history is, credit score, where you live, driving record, etc. All of those things and more factor in to insurance rates.

Yup basically pay the shop to do the estimate instead of Gieco. He was saying that Gieco will trust his estimate and he never has any issues. Obviously, Gieco is going to try and pay the least amount possible where he will do a correct estimate and make sure everything is replaced in the right way.

Seems unnecessary but he was like he just had a situation happen where a recent customer had Gieco estimate 4k where he came in at 10k.

I feel like if I get an estimate from Gieco and I bring it to his shop, he should be able to adjust the amount and get me a higher price without me paying 180 at the beginning to get his estimate but who knows...
See my above post about the $180 fee. If you’re going through them it should be a non-factor.

I’ll piggyback onto something else I've experienced with State Farm and a car claim I had a few years back from a parking lot incident. State Farm has their own adjusters and quote stations so they quote what they think it will be which is not always the best or all the parts. They came in like 1/2 of what the body shop did. The good thing was the body shop had a good relationship with the SF adjuster and it got it taken care of but that’s not always the case. I’d be hesitant with the $180 but wouldn’t discount if it gets your bike fixed, right and back to how it was prior.

With hindsight being 20/20, on my bike I wish I had just dropped it off and had it fixed instead of doing it myself because I have a bracket that’s a tick off and a couple bodywork pieces don’t 100% line up because of it. I didn’t see it when I was looking at stuff and while it’s not something most people would notice I do and it bothers me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In the past I've had to have bikes fixed twice by the Insurers following offs. Both times the Insurance company arranged for the bike to be collected, took it to a repair shop and returned it to me as good as new. As I had protected my No Clams Discout my insurance didn't go up the following year.
It would seem in the States that claiming is a little more complicated with having to get quotes.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It would seem in the States that claiming is a little more complicated with having to get quotes.
It depends. All insurance companies are different and bikes are not treated as transportation in the States so you’ll have to jump through some hoops depending on circumstances and who your insurance is with.

Most of the time you just need to get a single estimate from a reputable repair shop, or usually your dealer. The insurance company will either accept it and you get the bike repaired, review it and they may argue a few things or deny it which is rare. It’s the shops that get it all tricky and if you want to repair it yourself it’s even more sketchy to get it all paid right.

·
Super Moderator
7,605 Posts
The shops I’ve heard about and have dealt with, however, will apply that charge to the repair fees as long as you do the repairs there.

I would ask if that’s the case, I would hope it is.
When not filing a claim with an insurance company can understand this approach. But if the insurance company pays for the repair, not sure how the upfront charges for an estimate would be re-cooped, unless they refund the charge after getting the business(?).

My experiences with insurance companies here have generally been quite good. But not all good depending on the insurance company.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I've never paid for an estimate. The insurance company will do that anyway. It seems like the only issue is whether you'll repair the existing parts or replace them. It seems pretty doubtful that there is any structural damage like bent frame tubes, tweaked swingarm or anything that would require specialized measurements or inspections.

FYI- the owner can look up the costs of all the parts online. If all of it is remove and replace (other than the engine scratches) then the labor bill should be straight forward. All this remove & replace is straight forward enough to be done by the owner, so there is really isn't any mystery with the labor bill. I doubt if it would be more that a few hours.

My guess is that repairing it out of pocket would likely be close or exceed $1000, the deductible amount. I think I'd just pay the $1k and insist on all new parts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We dont need to get estimates in the UK. Just contact your insurer and they do it all. My insurer uses an approved body repair shop, whilst its not the bike manufacturer who does the repairs, they do source the parts from them and guarantee all the work.

Reactions: Miweber929 and Ed K
1 - 20 of 31 Posts