Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@Triplesapper It can work similar to that way here, too. But usually there are legal requirements that enable choices: use shops that are “approved” by insurers, or go your own way. However, in the end, it’s still the insurer that will decide how much gets paid, not the shop, or if the vehicle is totaled.

Back on the previous discussion, I guess one final option could be to get an estimate, pay for it, meanwhile get a commitment from the shop to apply the cost of the estimate to do the repairs, get the insurer to hopefully write a check, then pay the shop for repairs (less cost of estimate). Whew! But little complex. I always double or triple check for reasonableness, and argue, nicely, usually, when going through things like this if something is out of wack. But if various options are a push for cost and quality, I’ll choose the simplest way, usually as Trip and Low indicated.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
But if the insurance company pays for the repair, not sure how the upfront charges for an estimate would be re-cooped, unless they refund the charge after getting the business(?).
They would deduct it from the total bill, based on what I was told. So you’d see a line item of a -$180 subtracted from your owed deductible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I am curious on if anyone has experience paiting or touching up the clutch cover. You can see in my picture that there are a few light scratches and you can start to see the metal underneath. How hard would it be to paint over that? Not sure if anyone on this forum has done that before.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I am curious on if anyone has experience paiting or touching up the clutch cover. You can see in my picture that there are a few light scratches and you can start to see the metal underneath. How hard would it be to paint over that? Not sure if anyone on this forum has done that before.
I've done that on other bikes as I wrote here. File the scratches out, use correct engine touch-up paint. An airbrush works really well because you'll have better control on the spray pattern and keep it in a tight area. I suppose the real concern is the texture. It does have a crinkle pattern. That might make the airbrush difficult. Worst case, you might have to blend an off the shelf crinkle spray paint. In any case I would try a few paint tests before spraying it.

Also removing the cover will make filing and painting it much easier.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The other option is to find a new clutch cover on ebay. I'm sure there are some good ones from people that have replaced them with clear covers. Then put your old one up to see if you can sell it since the damage is pretty light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I do go the insurance route, is it normal for the body shop to be charging for the estimate? It seems like that should be part of the deductible. The dealer on the phone was very convincing that I should pay him to do the estimate ($180) because he will fight and make sure they fix it correctly and do not cut any corners. He had mentioned, Geico trusts his shops and he has a good relationship with the head of motorcycle insurance at Geico and they will never question him.

This being my first claim it just seems odd.
Paying for a quote at the dealer sounds like a "Ducati tax" to me. Most repair shops give free quotes because they want the insurance claim which is VERY LUCRATIVE to them.

As far some sort of "special" relationship with a GEICO, total B.S.! A preferred shop is a preferred shop. If you think they won't question him over factory parts versus aftermarket equivalents, you are having the wool pulled over your eyes.

This isn't some sort of special "inside" agreement between the dealer and Geico allowing the dealer to do whatever they deem to be "right" without question. It is business, nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, I am a longtime GEICO user, and thanks to insurance scams in Arizona and I have a lot of claims experience.

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@sidpost Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Do you also own a SuperSport?

·
Registered
13 Posts
@sidpost Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Do you also own a SuperSport?
Not yet! I'm thinking a new 950 S-spec is in my "near term" future pending a demo ride. I really liked the Ninja 1000SX demo but, something a little lighter and smaller would be nice too. Plus, the Ducati looks so nice! The things causing me to pause are the cost of Desmo service and the lack of any dealers local to me (closest is ~3 hours away).

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@sidpost Well, as you’ve probably already noticed, there’s a voluminous amount of info on this Forum about the SuperSport, and very experienced and friendly riders. But specs and words can only go so far. There’s a frequent saying here - “Ride one, then you’ll know if its for you!"

The 1000SX is nice bike! But its very different from a SuperSport.

And there are so many great bikes today, its kinda hard to get a bad one. It all depends on what suits your riding style, conditions, and preferences. And that becomes clear after riding each.

Regarding the SuperSport service, the first major service, the Desmo, is at 18,000 miles. The other periodic services are within reason.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
In reality the only reason to go the dealer before the 18k miles service is turnoff the little maintenance minder icon on the dashboard, which BTW- I've learned to live with. The oil change is a snap, and I'll change oil before the 9k mile annual anyway. You'll need some special sockets for the wheel nuts, the rear stand is for a single sided swingarm, and a C wrench & big torx for the chain adjustment.

I'm getting my 18k Desmo done this week and will let you know the damage $$.

But I've already spent quite a bit for tires. o_O

21 - 31 of 31 Posts