Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. Ride 1) Took the Supersport S for what was supposed to be a lively run up the mountain on a popular curvy state road. Although I loved the bike's 'feel' this ride ended in disappointment, as I was shocked at the harsh ride and indirect, non-linear engine response in 'Touring' mode. Result: I couldn't ride the bike as fast as my old ST2, as I had to lift my weight off the seat to see where I was going due to the extreme blurring of vision from the harsh front end. And like other posters I was appalled by the heat, but in fairness it was over 90ºF and the bike had sat in the sun for an hour prior and then idled for several minutes bringing the coolant up to 216ºF by the time I set off.

I decided it hadn't been a fair test, and decided to start again after the bike temp had stabilized, and the suspension set with less front compression damping.

Ride 2) Multistrada 950. Polar opposite: Cool, plush, and felt like a bloody jet-ski. Not my thing.

Ride 3) After some resistance from the sales staff we set the Supersport S suspension for proper compliance and damping. The bike had cooled and I set off in 'Sport' mode.

Ahhh, now it felt like a Ducati...I loved it! The civilized ride quality not only didn't detract from the crisp handling, but kept the chassis stable encouraging inspired cornering. The engine temp stayed in the 185-195º range, and I didn't notice much heat at speed, and the engine response was now more directly related to throttle movement.

I've put a deposit on the white demo bike...I'm surprised that I like the look of the white bike so much. I think it's the prettiest bike in the lineup. Potential downside? With the proper setup the bike immediately brought out the hooligan in me!:surprise:

·
Registered
78 Posts
You're purchasing the demo bike? I assume it'll come with a nice discount with the miles already on it.
The Multistrada 950 may be more comfortable, but it won't attack those track turns like the 939.

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK. Ride 1) Took the Supersport S for what was supposed to be a lively run up the mountain on a popular curvy state road. Although I loved the bike's 'feel' this ride ended in disappointment, as I was shocked at the harsh ride and indirect, non-linear engine response in 'Touring' mode. Result: I couldn't ride the bike as fast as my old ST2, as I had to lift my weight off the seat to see where I was going due to the extreme blurring of vision from the harsh front end. And like other posters I was appalled by the heat, but in fairness it was over 90ºF and the bike had sat in the sun for an hour prior and then idled for several minutes bringing the coolant up to 216ºF by the time I set off.

I decided it hadn't been a fair test, and decided to start again after the bike temp had stabilized, and the suspension set with less front compression damping.

Ride 2) Multistrada 950. Polar opposite: Cool, plush, and felt like a bloody jet-ski. Not my thing.

Ride 3) After some resistance from the sales staff we set the Supersport S suspension for proper compliance and damping. The bike had cooled and I set off in 'Sport' mode.

Ahhh, now it felt like a Ducati...I loved it! The civilized ride quality not only didn't detract from the crisp handling, but kept the chassis stable encouraging inspired cornering. The engine temp stayed in the 185-195º range, and I didn't notice much heat at speed, and the engine response was now more directly related to throttle movement.

I've put a deposit on the white demo bike...I'm surprised that I like the look of the white bike so much. I think it's the prettiest bike in the lineup. Potential downside? With the proper setup the bike immediately brought out the hooligan in me!:surprise:
Really glad you finally got to ride the "real" bike. The Sport mode is really the only mode to ride with, (assuming good conditions), urban and touring are probably ok for wet conditions, although I have ridden in dry and wet and have never found any reason to use anything other than sport as we have traction control and ABS. Congrats on the purchase :smile2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congrat and enjoy your white SS S !!

I've my red SS S for 3 months, and personally i 'm always in sport mode.
I tune modes to abs 1 DTC 3 .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're purchasing the demo bike? I assume it'll come with a nice discount with the miles already on it.
The Multistrada 950 may be more comfortable, but it won't attack those track turns like the 939.
The Multistrada looked good on paper and was comfy, but did not feel exactly like a motorcycle to me.

This is the only Supersport around here, and the demo rides had been pretty short, only showing 200+ miles. And yes, a nice discount. :wink2:

What parameters did you chose in the preferred setup?
I haven't begun to learn the terms yet, but asked the salesman to select the least intrusive settings for the second ride. I wanted to feel what the bike was like without any 'help' from a computer. The Fly-by-Wire throttle is just something I'll have to live with.

This will be replacing both the ST2 & the RC51 track bike, so I'm used to my right hand providing its own TC and ABS. :grin2:

Really glad you finally got to ride the "real" bike. The Sport mode is really the only mode to ride with, (assuming good conditions), urban and touring are probably ok for wet conditions, although I have ridden in dry and wet and have never found any reason to use anything other than sport as we have traction control and ABS. Congrats on the purchase :smile2:
Agreed! TC & ABS will probably be fun to play with, as I've managed to avoid both so far. I hate to spend money on stuff I won't use. :grin2:

Congrat and enjoy your white SS S !!

I've my red SS S for 3 months, and personally i 'm always in sport mode.
I tune modes to abs 1 DTC 3 .
My wife preferred red, and normally I tend to go for red myself, but for some reason the contrasting white bodywork, red frame and wheel colors grabbed me...oh, and black tires. :wink2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously I'll have to read the manual, but what do the TC/ABS modes signify? And do they vary between ride modes?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Obviously I'll have to read the manual, but what do the TC/ABS modes signify? And do they vary between ride modes?
Short answer - they are numerical representation of how intrusive the rider assistance will be on your experience, 1 being the least intrusive, and 5 being the most. They are programmable in each of the ride modes, and come pre-programmed as you would expect - least intrusive in Sport, most intrusive in Urban.

I've found I actually prefer the power delivery and throttle curve of Touring more than I do Sport. I have yet to activate the rider assist on the street, and I wear my tires to the edge. I ride fast, but I don't really hoon around.

·
Registered
516 Posts
One thing I'd recommend is looking into the throttle spacer kit, it takes the slack out of the throttle and for me, made things more enjoyable. Its a small thing but i enjoy the difference.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I'd recommend is looking into the throttle spacer kit, it takes the slack out of the throttle and for me, made things more enjoyable. Its a small thing but i enjoy the difference.
I found the thread on this. Sounds good to me. I noticed the mechanical slop in the throttle, and will definitely address that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more test rides the better but glad you came around to it! Can't wait to see some photos.
You bet!

Until then, a few nostalgic photos for Euro Bike fans in reverse chronological order. No oil under any of them!! Just takes a little maintenance. :wink2:

Sorry no Ducatis, but they hadn't made anything that could get out of its own way, yet:

Shiny new in '95 - almost stock after 1 week!

Little bro' on 1 y/o '66 street tracker:

Baby brother climbing on my 4 y/o 1960 ??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You really need to read that part of the manual. It's quite important.
"...ABS can be disabled." Stoppies are encouraged!

"5) DRL BUTTON: Button used to switch on/off the DRL." I think I tried to start the engine with this button once.:eek: Nice to be able to disable the DRL...might need to be stealthy sometime. :wink2:

" DTC
traction control (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, OFF)"
; Burnouts are allowed...but not encouraged. :frown2:

Question:

OK so are all 8 levels of DTC available WITHIN each Riding Mode, or ACROSS the three Riding Modes? Can the rider select any of the 8 levels within each mode? E.G. could DTC 1 (Sliding Sideways!!) be selected in the Urban Mode? Or conversely, DTC 8 (Heavy Rain) be selected in Sport Mode? And, if so, what would those combinations even look like?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Question:

OK so are all 8 levels of DTC available WITHIN each Riding Mode, or ACROSS the three Riding Modes? Can the rider select any of the 8 levels within each mode? E.G. could DTC 1 (Sliding Sideways!!) be selected in the Urban Mode? Or conversely, DTC 8 (Heavy Rain) be selected in Sport Mode? And, if so, what would those combinations even look like?

Answer :
Yes it can.

Reactions: mercer854

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
"...ABS can be disabled." Stoppies are encouraged!

"5) DRL BUTTON: Button used to switch on/off the DRL." I think I tried to start the engine with this button once.:eek: Nice to be able to disable the DRL...might need to be stealthy sometime. :wink2:

" DTC
traction control (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, OFF)"
; Burnouts are allowed...but not encouraged. :frown2:

Question:

Throttle response (engine power), abs and dtc can be set independently per riding mode.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question:

Yes, all levels across all modes. Mix and match to your heart's desire....:cool:
Answer :
Yes it can.
Throttle response (engine power), abs and dtc can be set independently per riding mode.
Mind Boggling! :grin2: Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts