Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, Brenda & I rode 350 miles home through the back roads of eastern OK. Weather was very nice and overall, we had a great ride.

The bikes are much like the ST3s Brenda had ridden for 74Kmi. and my previous ST4s. A little less wind protection, but lighter handling likely due to the approx. 60 lbs less weight. The engines are much like the ST3s with great mid-range "real world" useful power band. Turn-in to corners is much lighter and very little mid-corner steering input is needed. So, wore off most of the chicken strips.

I'm coming off a 2012 Multistrada (35k mi), which has more power but sits like a dirt bike. I've ridden over 100K miles on bikes with a somewhat leaned forward riding position like the SuperSport (ST4s and 2x R1100s BMW). I believe riding position is very much a personal preference and I really prefer the position on the SuperSport. I reminds me of my earlier days on a traditional street bicycle with the "drop" handle bars. A small shift of ones upper body can shift weight from bars to seat to pegs using one's core muscles. The upright bikes like the MTS pretty much have you in one position, although you can stand up more easily. Plus, I never really likes the looks of the MTS with its beak and angry bird demeanor. The MTS is a great bike, but I prefer the sportier true sport-touring SuperSport S.

The SuperSport looks like a proper Ducati sport bike, but is way more comfortable that my 848, which was a torture rack with bars below the triple clamp and very high pegs. On the track, it was at home but in the "real world" it was not comfortable to me in any meaning of the word.

The quick-shifter is great fun, particularly in the twisty back roads of OK/AR/MO where I usually get lazy and just run in 4th or 5th gear w/o shifting at all. The DQS lets you shift much more easily and so you are in the "right" gear more often and can easily up-shift as you exit the corner under power.

Our collective opinion is very good, but both of us want to figure out a way to get rid of the catalytic converter and its attendant heat on one's rump.

Fuel range got better as miles accumulated and the last tank went 130 miles until the fuel light winked on. It won't ever go the 200 miles that one can do on the ST or MTS, but with my old bones, we prefer to stop every 100-125 miles anyway, particularly on long, multi-day rides.

So, if you want a sporty sport-touring bike that doesn't try to be an "adventure touring" bike, the SS-S seems like a good choice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts