Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok all, I'm going to try and keep this short and to the point so I'll use dot points and a grading system - 5 being that I really dislike or really like, 1 being not a big deal. I should add this is a commuter mostly to me with spirited riding occasionally but nothing too crazy. Knee down action is left to my scratched up track bike.

Pro's
-Comfort, it's not great after a long ride but not bad. I get a little sore, but personally it reminds me how glad I am I didn't buy a supersport (no pun intended). Hard to grade this one. Confort is a 3, but for a sports bike a 5 (and I class this as a sports bike)

-Torque, it's plenty for the street. 4

-Looks, I give the red supersport a 2.5, I give the white a 4.5

-Quickshifter. Great to have up and down.
I use the clutch going first to second as it's rough unless WOT. It certainly works better up when on the gas and down when heavily braking. 3.5

-Optional accessories. Heated grips and other cool bits but all pricey. 4

-Akra exhaust. Looks amzing, sounds more amazing. Expensive. Need to fit brackets to keep pillion pegs. Ordered but still waiting so not sure yet how much they'll kill appearance or stick out. But again, sounds AMAZING. Could intefere badly for setting rear preload (refer my post in suspension section). 4

-Low speed handling/filtering is good. However you cannot fully lock the bars as your hands get squashed between the bars and fairings. 4

-Brakes. Not tested on track but for street a solid 5. Very happy with the front mounted Brembo's!!!!

-Daytime running light. Seeeeeeexy!!! 5

-Windscreen. Works well and beats being on a naked. 5

-Short gear ratio. Great for the street as you get to use the gears unlike a superbike. Not so great if you're planning on track. As a streets sportsbike, 5

-Electronics. Good. Missing cruise control and cornering ABS. The buttons and settings do have some querks, like always getting into modes when pushing the turn signal cancel when the turn signal is not actually on. A little annoying but not a huge deal. 3.5-4

-Instruments readability in any condition is good. 5

-Importantly......Handling. I'm no Rossi and I haven't pushed my limits. But I have REALLY enjoyed the feeling of this bike and have NEVER had such confidence in the turns! I'm a little upset it handles so much better than my track bike (CBR600RR) but I just cannot track this. Handling, solid 5

Con's

-Suspension. See my post in the suspension area. A little annoying when spending so much for the S model over the base. 4

-Heat, gives off a lot of heat, am looking into ceramic coating the exhaust especially the rear header which gives off the most and heats the shock to buggery. It's REALLY hot! This issue is a 5 and hopefully ceramic coating will fix it a little.

-Quick shifter, works poorly from 1st to 2nd. I'm forced to use clutch with the most common gear shift I use on the street on this bike. I give the issue a 3

-Neutral, there are ways of finding it whilst stationary but by no means is it easy. Not the end of the world and even gives me a giggle sometimes when trying to find it and a sense of achievement when I finally do. 2.5

-Price. Base model reasonably priced, but I test rode the base and my cons list would be much longer if I bought that. The S model is expensive, and sounds garbage IMHO. So once you fit the Akra and the mentioned peg adapters it's a pricey machine. But so far I love the bike, and you can't put a price on love. 2.5 on the problem.

-Tail tidy, all the LEGAL tail tidy options aren't that tidy for this bike. Not a huge problem. 1

-Mirrors. You can see if someone is there, but you will never know if it's the 5-0 unless you gun it and see blue, or pull the clutch in first to check. 3

Overall I love the bike and have no regrets. I might change my mind on certain things as I'm only 5 days in but so far the sound, handling, and acceptable comfort all keeps me riding past my street and staying out for an extra 20 min. Soon I'll figure out how big of a problem the suspension and exhaust combo is (again refer other post)

If you're considering this bike go ride one and remember it WILL sound incredible with the full Akra.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
You must be wearing rose coloured glasses that make the white one look red to rate it 4.5 over the red's 2.5...

·
Registered
298 Posts
You must be wearing rose coloured glasses that make the white one look red to rate it 4.5 over the red's 2.5...

My son in law's Panigale 959 is currently sitting in my garage next to my red SSS with the full Akra. I consider the Panigale to be the best looking bike I've ever seen, however when looking at the 2 bikes side by side I must say that my SSS looks just as good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Each to their own I guess. I love the contrast with the red and white and the fact that all the contours of the fairings stand out a lot more in the white. I'm guessing to a lot of long term ducati fans it's hard to move away from red, but again each to their own.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Each to their own I guess. I love the contrast with the red and white and the fact that all the contours of the fairings stand out a lot more in the white. I'm guessing to a lot of long term ducati fans it's hard to move away from red, but again each to their own.

The point I was really trying to make is that the SSS with the full Akra whether it be the red or the white is a stunning looking bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The point I was really trying to make is that the SSS with the full Akra whether it be the red or the white is a stunning looking bike.
Yeah fair enough can't say I've actually seen the red with the Akra. I have however now seen the red and white side by side with the standard exhaust and personally I know which I'd go for. Either way yeah she's a beautiful bike and an even better one to ride. I would like the fairings to come meet up with the frame and cover the guts like a real supersport but I've gotten over that pretty quickly once owning her.

She gets nothing but compliments and head turning!

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Fair assessment... sometimes I also start to change mode accidentally when using directional switch gear.

And yes, pictures, please, else: it didn’t happen. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's okay to admit...the white is just plain sexier!

I know the reds have butthurt about it. It's okay...we all know the truth.

>
What more proof does one need than the photos ?
I must get better photos next to the coastline or something on a sunny day. It's just when ever I'm on her, I find it really hard to take rests especially just for photos!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd say that's a very fair summation. For me, the the most overwhelming impression of this bike is the sublime handling. It is the most confidence inspiring bike I have ever ridden. I have a 2012 Aprilia Tuono V4R, which I have spent thousands of dollars on, Ohlins suspension, custom mapping, upgraded brakes, you name it. It has 158 rwhp on the dyno, it is an animal. When the riding the Tuono, it's all about the motor, even though it's a very good handling bike, the Supersport is just on another level entirely. It's a hard thing to quantify, but the Tuono sort of takes you for a ride, where the Supersport creates a synergetic connection between rider and machine, that's just so engaging, so rewarding, and so much fun. It will never win any numbers competitions, but it is a true riders machine, i love it.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
One thing the red has over the white is gloss. I love shiney paint.

I treated mine with a product called fireglaze. A detailer put me on to it, its what he applies when subcontracted by a caryard to do paint protection. Even does those Italian sport/ supercars associated with red. (I can't believe they charge thousands for a product that costs 30 bucks and will do a crapload of cars).

When mine was serviced yesterday I went out back and could pick mine in an instant, the red paint was positively glowing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have ceramic coated exhausts on several Ducati models, which had proven to be very helpful. This go around I used a lower temperature coating - which does not appear to help. With the break in miles at just about 600, the heat seems to be getting worse. So much that it is almost unbearable in 84F degree traffic (feet, arse and thighs beyond uncomfortable). This just does not seem normal, perhaps the rear cylinder is running way too lean?

I am thinking about two alternatives - redoing with a higher temperature ceramic coating (which I used on previous models) or getting the Termi.

Unless someone is looking to get rid of their cat (which I might take apart to have a look see.)

FWIW, I had the pipes coated inside and out, the exterior of the cat, and the three heat shields (2 on rear header, 1 on front header).

Bike still is one of the best riding I have ever had (I like to tour...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts