Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in high school, my dream bike was a red 748. I might eventually buy one as the prices have come way down. Since I don’t own one yet, I’ve decided to mimic that bikes iconic look on my Supersport.

A buddy and I did a quick vinyl job on the passenger cowl and I really like the look. I’m going to also add a white number plate to the front nose fairing and a “939” decal in the same font as the 748/996 to the side fairing.

When it comes time to change the tires, I’ll also powder coat the wheels white. Best of both worlds :grin2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your final results. Make this thread a buildout type thread with pics along the way. A step by step...although, I will say, I like the red rims. And if you've never owned white wheels...depending on how anal you are, they could be the bane of your existance. I once owned an R6 with white wheels....ugh!

Keep us posted.

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
Back in high school, my dream bike was a red 748. I might eventually buy one as the prices have come way down. Since I don’t own one yet, I’ve decided to mimic that bikes iconic look on my Supersport.

A buddy and I did a quick vinyl job on the passenger cowl and I really like the look. I’m going to also add a white number plate to the front nose fairing and a “939” decal in the same font as the 748/996 to the side fairing.

When it comes time to change the tires, I’ll also powder coat the wheels white. Best of both worlds :grin2:
Cool...this is going to be interesting...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decided to give plastidip a try for the first time. It was looking promising right up until I pulled the tape lol. The edges pulled up with the tape, but I have a better idea of what it is going to look like. Here’s some photos.

Looks like photos got flipped when posting from phone. I’ll fix it later today

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Can't wait for the derping to commence. Just remember, it's not permanent and probably won't last more than a year before requiring a redo. Let's see it....

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Ok. So, what's new? I thought the white seat cowl was vinyl. And, to get it right, patience is required. 4 coats is the minimum with 15-20 minutes between coats for long lasting results. I ONLY know from many failed attempts on my last truck. I recommend 5-6 coats.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2nd attempt. tried one heavy coat so that i could remove the tape while it was wet. i was able to make sharper lines, but ended up with some pretty big runs. still better than the first try though. going to have to try and find the balance between 5 coats and 1 heavy coat. not to worried though because i got a quote from a local motorcycle painter and will probably have it done professionally with proper paint come winter.

until then, this should do.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. So, what's new? I thought the white seat cowl was vinyl. And, to get it right, patience is required. 4 coats is the minimum with 15-20 minutes between coats for long lasting results. I ONLY know from many failed attempts on my last truck. I recommend 5-6 coats.
last night i tried vinyl to get an idea of how it looked. decided today that it might be easier to tape the shape instead of trying to cut the vinyl. i have always been meaning to try Plastidip for some time now and thought this would be a good opportunity. First try was 6 coats. it looked really good, but the edges all came up when i removed the tape. the first 4-5 layers had dried and bonded to the layers on the masking tape.

tempted to try again, but i plan on having it professionally done with proper paint. the number plates will look 100x better than a well done plastidip job. im going to have the painter put a black or gold pinstripe around the number plates. i will also have the number plate continue down to the rear side fairings so that they are little more proportional to the bike. all that plus a shiny clear coat will be worth the money spent.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not only is this a great mod but the way you shaped the plates is perfect. You can't just slap on some white and have it look right. Kudos. I can't wait to see how it comes out this winter with the pinstripes. Will you do the front number plate at the same time?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not only is this a great mod but the way you shaped the plates is perfect. You can't just slap on some white and have it look right. Kudos. I can't wait to see how it comes out this winter with the pinstripes. Will you do the front number plate at the same time?
Yes, that plan is to drop the bike off at the painters shop for him to add front and rear number plates. Im really excited to see how it turns out, i think the gold pin striping is really going to make it pop. i also plane on adding "939" decals to the side fairing in a similar font to the "996" ducatis.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
which rear stand do you have there?
it's the T-rex stand. pretty nice stand, though it's seems larger and maybe a bit heavier then my standard Pitbull stand for my other bikes. It's design is borderline bulky / awkward because it's designed to lift from both sides and with the handled pointing forward or backward, which is also one of it's nicer features. overall a nice sturdy rear stand.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, sturdier than a Pitbull? Mine feels like I could lift a truck with it, lol.
Not necessarily sturdier. Just heavier and bulkier. To be fair, the only reason it?s bulkier is because the stand can be used with the handle pointing forward or backward. If someone wanted to trade a pitbull stand I would definitely go for it. I prefer the clean simple design of the pitbull stand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just a few thought ..

- Why don't you use wrapping (foiling) instead of painting?
- If you want to get as close as possible to the 748 look, shouldn't you powder coat the wheels gold?

- if you accept a variation (instead of gold rims), how about leaving your rims red with only one big white stripe?

I've photoshoped a scribble for you:

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a few thought ..

- Why don't you use wrapping (foiling) instead of painting?
- If you want to get as close as possible to the 748 look, shouldn't you powder coat the wheels gold?

- if you accept a variation (instead of gold rims), how about leaving your rims red with only one big white stripe?

I've photoshoped a scribble for you:
i wouldn't mind getting a full vinyl wrap, as it does look very nice and is not permanent. however, on a job like this, where only a portion would get wrapped, paint would look much cleaner in person.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts