Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

I have been debating this issue for a couple of weeks now and believe that I will be selling my 95 900SS to free up some space in the garage for a 939 SS.

When I got my BMW a few years ago I told the wife I had to figure out how to sell my old Duc out here in rural America. There are not exactly a lot of people in my area who know what a Ducati is, let alone appreciate one enough to fork down some cash. My wife looked at me kind of funny and said, "Why do you want to sell the Duc, I thought you loved that bike." Then she said, "This BMW is for road trips, why don't you keep the red one for those days you want to go fast?" My response was, "Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" But with her okay, I kept it. You know, for those days I want to ride fast. I don't think that logic will work again. Three bikes will be too crowded in the garage, so the old one will be on the market as soon as I complete the carb rebuild.

So that's me, how about you guys. Will a 939SS be an addition to your fleet, or will it be replacing something else?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I am replacing another v-twin, Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. Its been a fun 15 years but it is time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Short answer: adding.

Long answer: As echoed by the article below, "SuperSport is an appealing quick-footed canyon chaser, commuter, and occasional track weapon" = multi-purpose. My interest is also that with touring package, possibly a 2-3 (more?) day tour bike. I've sat on one and it felt like my old Monster positioning which I have taken out for 4-6 day trips. I can't afford a stable of bikes. The 939SS seems like a general purpose bike and makes sense to me for fitting the needs I'm seeking: sport bike/ daily commuter/ occasional track day/ light tourer, akin to an all-mountain ski. I can't wait to test ride!

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/02/19/2017-ducati-supersport-s-first-ride-test-18-fast-facts/

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
Keeping the Scrambler, but the K1200S might go...still deciding. Many, many memories and vast territories covered on that bike!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Replacing my Ducati monster 796 because this SS purpose cover the monster's one.

If i could add a bike, it would be a cheap japanese radical sport bike for track days.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not quite sure yet. I'd like to keep my MV F3 675, as it's fun in the twisties, but economics may force me to sell it to add the SS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's a candidate for the (eventual) replacement of my Ducati M900 Monster, which has been my daily do-everything bike for the last 24 years.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
Replacing a BMW R1200RS
Interesting Steeve.

I would prefer the SS to the RS too, but just curious, if I might ask, what your thinking is associated with the reasons for the swap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Replacing a BMW R1200RS
I've ridden the R1200 RS and found it to be a really nice bike, better than I expected. I'd see choosing it over the SS if you require riding a passenger the majority of time, since it is on a larger scale than the SS, with more seat room and wheelbase. Otherwise I'd trade that capability for the lighter weight, improved agility and better looks (IMO) of the SS.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Interesting Steeve.

I would prefer the SS to the RS too, but just curious, if I might ask, what your thinking is associated with the reasons for the swap.
I liked the RS and enjoyed riding it. But some how I just couldn't love it, there was something missing. I think perhaps (although I'd had BM's before) it was those ugly cylinders sticking out at the side. Whilst it wasn't an unattractive bike I just didn't get the love.

For me I need to be able to stop as I walk away, turn, look at my bike and think, "that's one good looking piece of machinery" and I didn't get that.

As soon as I heard about the Supersport I began to think this could be the bike for me. I'm getting on in years and only tour for one or two weeks a year and that's one up, Many bikes I do like are just not suitable as they are too heavy or have a high seat which is unsuitable. The RS was very comfortable for me but a bit on the heavy side, the SS has as far as I can tell the same riding position and I've managed to sit on a few and wheel them about. I just love the appearance and design of the Ducati

·
Registered
179 Posts
In more detail (and as I posted on the Cycle World review article):

This is a strong contender for my next bike. I currently ride a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster, that I bought new, and that has been my everyday do-everything bike for the last 24 years. I paid $10,200 for it out the door in 1993, which is about $15K in today's dollars, so I don't feel this bike is overpriced, especially considering how much more of a bike it is. I've got 260K miles on the Monster so far, so no complaints about that. If I like the way the new SuperSport feels, and the quality holds up, it could well be the right bike to replace the Monster. Certainly the longer maintenance intervals would be welcome.

PhilB

·
Registered
524 Posts
In more detail (and as I posted on the Cycle World review article):

This is a strong contender for my next bike. I currently ride a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster, that I bought new, and that has been my everyday do-everything bike for the last 24 years. I paid $10,200 for it out the door in 1993, which is about $15K in today's dollars, so I don't feel this bike is overpriced, especially considering how much more of a bike it is. I've got 260K miles on the Monster so far, so no complaints about that. If I like the way the new SuperSport feels, and the quality holds up, it could well be the right bike to replace the Monster. Certainly the longer maintenance intervals would be welcome.

PhilB
Phil, just a thought. I don't know if you like the White Silk paint, but I'd steer clear of that color if you intend to keep the bike for a long time (and I assume you would). That semi-matte finish would be a bear to maintain. You can't polish it for fear it would turn glossy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, compared to standard 2 part clear coats, matte finishes require unique cleaners and protectants to maintain their original appearance. Hopefully the technology has advanced over the years. I've seen some of the earlier examples develop shiny areas from contact with riding pants, jackets, etc. Seems to have been more of a problem with bikes than cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That lack of a clearcoat is one of my concerns about this new bike. I have heard that others have used a 3-m film to protect the paint from chips and scratches and such on other paints without the CC, but I don't know how well those protect and if they truley are invisible. In my world, the paint will be scratched or gouged within 24 hours of purchase.

Although the white looks very cool, a Ducati should be red. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
I liked the RS and enjoyed riding it. But some how I just couldn't love it, there was something missing. I think perhaps (although I'd had BM's before) it was those ugly cylinders sticking out at the side. Whilst it wasn't an unattractive bike I just didn't get the love.

For me I need to be able to stop as I walk away, turn, look at my bike and think, "that's one good looking piece of machinery" and I didn't get that.

As soon as I heard about the Supersport I began to think this could be the bike for me. I'm getting on in years and only tour for one or two weeks a year and that's one up, Many bikes I do like are just not suitable as they are too heavy or have a high seat which is unsuitable. The RS was very comfortable for me but a bit on the heavy side, the SS has as far as I can tell the same riding position and I've managed to sit on a few and wheel them about. I just love the appearance and design of the Ducati
Understand Steeve, there's something special about a Ducati.

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
Phil, just a thought. I don't know if you like the White Silk paint, but I'd steer clear of that color if you intend to keep the bike for a long time (and I assume you would). That semi-matte finish would be a bear to maintain. You can't polish it for fear it would turn glossy.
Interesting, I've ordered white, and hadn't thought about that...I tend to hang on to my bikes too.

It's my understanding the white does have a clear coat.

Have any of you guys actually owned a Duc with this color?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not even tempted. White is a dumb color for anything that has contact with the real world. White shirts, for me, have a half-life of about 23 minutes, and I own exactly one, for formal occasions. I would, if I got one of these, be most likely to get an S, in red, with the bags. OTOH, I don't polish my bikes, and don't care much if they look like they get ridden, because they do. My Monster looks like it's been through a war or three, and I'm OK with that.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts

Have any of you guys actually owned a Duc with this color?
You have a limited audience here. I suggest you look at the Ducati web site to determine which models have offered matte finishes and then post your question to the forums for those models. If you are motivated enough to do that, it would be nice if you would share the results here. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
6,150 Posts
I talked with the parts guys at the dealer, one of which has a 959 in white. And they indicated it's no problem as long as you use the correct cleaners and polish that are made for matte finish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts