Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the new 950 owners. Anyone removed the fairing yet? The 939 Owners Manual details how to remove the fairing, but I note that the 950 manual doesn't show this. I'm assuming that the upper part of fairing will be the same and overall it won't be a million miles away from how to remove the 939 one, but just wondering if Ducati have added anymore 'tabs' or fixings for us to break!

Just trying to get a heads up before I pick up my bike in a few weeks :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward. Took the left hand side off to access the battery. See the attached picture for the number of fasteners. Then there are two push in plugs at the front top left, one in the bottom left and the one on the tank actually pulls backwards towards the rear of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I certainly watched a video about 939 fairing removal and used that as a basis. You start by removing the same black cockpit piece first. I also had a good look at the parts diagram to work out where the fasteners were. But in all honesty just taking my time and “feeling” my way around was the way I did it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks the same as the 939. Watch the tabs at the headlight Lord Farquad as the rubber grommets they fit into have a habit of splitting - at least they did on my bike they did despite, me putting a dab of grease on them. I had the fairings off about 4 times a year to give the bike a good clean particularly before putting it away in winter.

Havn't fitted the EvoTech Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards yet, so will sort them and the other aftermarket bits I've got that need fitting.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
True about the grommets. For some reason I "lost" one after taking the fairing off. And to replace it, I had to take the entire thing off again. I tried to wedge it in with the fairing on but I was afraid I'd break it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward. Took the left hand side off to access the battery. See the attached picture for the number of fasteners. Then there are two push in plugs at the front top left, one in the bottom left and the one on the tank actually pulls backwards towards the rear of the bike.
Thanks so very much for the photos. I just removed my fairing to access my battery to hook up my radar detector. I had it all loose but it was still connected by the push on grommet on the lower left. I was afraid of breaking something because I couldn’t tell if it was a bolt or a grommet. Thanks to your photo I gave it a hard yank and it came off. I have to say that doing this to get to the battery is a giant pain in the rear. I’ve changed batteries while on a trip in the Walmart parking lot on a Jap bike in 5 minutes This would not be a fun parking lot job!! The existing YouTube videos on the 939 are a good guide but the 950 has more attachment points. Not to hard after you know about the hidden push grommet in the lower left side

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
For the new 950 owners. Anyone removed the fairing yet? The 939 Owners Manual details how to remove the fairing, but I note that the 950 manual doesn't show this. I'm assuming that the upper part of fairing will be the same and overall it won't be a million miles away from how to remove the 939 one, but just wondering if Ducati have added anymore 'tabs' or fixings for us to break!

Just trying to get a heads up before I pick up my bike in a few weeks :)
Useful...thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi fellow 2021 + model year owners: Here are some relevant tips re: LEFT fairing removal. (BATTERY IS ON THE LEFT - GEAR / CLUTCH SIDE).

We just took off the left fairing on the 2021 supersport 950 s in order to add a sae battery tender extension. I thought it might be valuable to share some warnings with the group.

There are three potential opportunities for damaging the left fairing during removal. 1. When removing the two front retention pegs close to the headlight, (these must be pulled out perpendicular to the left side of the bike) and 2. when pulling the lower fairing away from its grommet attachment. (My fairing grommet housing broke off the second time it was removed - this may be prevented with Vaseline/ or non- corrosive lubricant on the rubber grommet.) 3. when manipulating the front facing peg (next to the tank) that the upper fairing peg must slide into. This must be slid backwards when removing and when replacing the fairing it must be engaged prior to doing the other retention points (headlight areax2 and lower fairing x 1).

The remaining 4 mm hex screws come in and out without a struggle.

The extra pics are of the battery tender sae wire that was routed behind hoses and zip tied with two grey Zipties (see red and black wire). The positive battery terminal cover comes off with a 4 mm hex.

sorry the pics got shuffled when I uploaded them.

Best,

Rushdi Cader, , Ducati Owners Circle of San Luis Obispo

[

Rentention pegs at headlight housing

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Light Vehicle Motor vehicle

Lower fender attachment
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive tire Carbon Automotive lighting Rim Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Vehicle

retention peg on fairing to left of tank
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

Hand Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wiring of sae
Hood Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I might caution that those grommet vinyl headlight inserts have a tendency to disappear during fairing removal. This can be frustrating when the bike is back together and you see that one of the stays isn't locked in.

Don't ask how I know this. :(

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I learnt about the headlight grommets breaking a few years back. I bought a pack of 4 as they have a tendency to split very easily.

Still had a job on the 939 and the 950 fitting the 2 screws on the underside of the fairing - I always seem to be able to get one fitted and have to faff around with the other. I tried leaving all the other fasteners off so I had some free play and also fitting all the other fasteners before doing the ones underneath. If I could get my head underneath the bike it would help, but even with the bike up on the rear paddock stand, there isn't the room to get underneath to eyeball the alignment of the holes.

Anyways I've had the fairing off and on on the 950 now 3 times for fitting the batery charger cables to the battery and for cleaning under the fairings etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts