Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cycle World has the Ducati Supersport listed at number 4 on their top ten motorcycles to ride in 2017 list. I think it goes without saying, this Supersport is something that a lot of people are looking forward to. Fully faired supersport looks that's actually daily riding friendly and it still has the power, pfft, come on ;)

Tissues, please, while we go on about how sportbike ergonomics ruin our back and wrists on the daily commute. There are worse problems to have, we know, but for a lot of people low clip-ons and cramped, track-biased ergos are just that: a problem. Or at least a detouring point when it comes time to buy a new bike.
Fully faired, supersport-inspired bikes with taller clip-ons (or a one-piece handlebar) have long offered a solution to the problem, and with its new SuperSport, Ducati is offering the same. The bike borrows a 937cc Testastretta engine from Ducati’s street-eating Hypermotard 939 and wraps that powerplant in a trellis frame with lower-mount footrests for a more-accommodating peg-to-seat gap. Add Panigale-esque fairings, an adjustable windscreen, TFT display, and Ducati Safety Pack with traction control, ride modes, and ABS, and you have a sporty looking bike that’s a better dance partner in the daily grind. If there’s still enough performance hiding beneath those svelte side panels, then this could turn into a great all-around bike for Ducati fans.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What they don't mention is a more usable seat height. Many bikes have seat heights that leave the majority of the population struggling to safely reach the ground. There's many a bike I just dismiss purely as the seat is too high.

But their report is quite perceptive. I always notice that the majority of those at the UK's premier motorcycle show have either grey hair or no hair at all. Which has a huge impact on sales and the subsequent reduction in sales of superbikes and the increase in sales of naked's and some adventure bikes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What they don't mention is a more usable seat height. Many bikes have seat heights that leave the majority of the population struggling to safely reach the ground. There's many a bike I just dismiss purely as the seat is too high.

But their report is quite perceptive. I always notice that the majority of those at the UK's premier motorcycle show have either grey hair or no hair at all. Which has a huge impact on sales and the subsequent reduction in sales of superbikes and the increase in sales of naked's and some adventure bikes.
But on many of today's bikes you can select the seat that fits your height, either as a no-cost choice (BMW) or as an accessory (Ducati and others).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worst case scenario if your shorter, you can always chop the seat down too... may not work out too well for comfort wise but, it'll help in footing?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've always admired KTM's but never seriously considered one because of the seat heights. A couple of years ago I was invited along with a few others to KTM in Austria to look at a new model which turned out to be the GT. I could actually sit reasonably comfortably on it. But when it was introduced one of the changes they made was to increase the seat height.
Whilst a few makes do alternative seats, (BMW actually offer some models with a lowered bike) many don't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is very true. So when encountering a situation like that, you also have to think about what will need to be done and what's available in order to drop the height down to make it comfortable and reasonable for you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Or what can be done, many, like KTM don't offer anything official so it's all about getting the seat re-sculptured and buying lowering kits, if available. Not ideal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re-sculpting a seat isn't really the problem, but when you start making modifications like adding lowering kits, that's when you start changing the ride dynamics of a bike and it's not really the best thing to do unless you're a competitive rider. Best to just leave things as stock and move on to another model, like going from KTM to a more short person friendly Ducati 939.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts