Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure what happened, but meant to brake, slow, release and turn. Don’t remember sliding, maybe I just didn’t brake hard enough. Result was almost hitting Armco barrier in other lane. Thompson Gap, near Leeds, AL.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not sure what happened, but meant to brake, slow, release and turn. Don’t remember sliding, maybe I just didn’t brake hard enough. Result was almost hitting Armco barrier in other lane.

You forgot potentially getting clobbered by incoming around a blind corner.

Where is your camera mounted?if it's on your head this looks like object fixation to me. You should have been looking through the corner.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You forgot potentially getting clobbered by incoming around a blind corner.

Where is your camera mounted?if it's on your head this looks like object fixation to me. You should have been looking through the corner.
No, mounted on ignition, but good point about fixation. It’s like I didn’t brake hard enough, or was afraid of sliding into barrier. I don’t remember ABS kicking in.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
How long had you been riding since your last stop? Looks a bit like fatigue...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe an hour to hour and a half. Could have been combo of sight fixation, fatigue and the road. It’s kind of off camber. Last year, riding Thruxton, didn’t rev match on downshift, resulting in rear wheel slide on curve before that. Both times, near end of long ride.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It’s like I didn’t brake hard enough,
My take, the very reason the bike stood up and ran straight on was because you applied the brakes when you realized the corner tighten up some.

All motorcycles will tend to stand up when the front brake is applied (initially or harder) when lent over. Understand why, and then you'll know what to do to prevent it.

BUT .... even on the previous corner I got a sense of tension and fighting the bike. It was like you are muscling the bike through corners. My take, it all relates back to a couple basic riding fundamentals.

P.S. And for what its worth, I don't believe 'target fixation' is the root-cause of any crash. It's just a symptom of some other skill failure which put the rider in a frozen panic situation in the first place. I look at all manner of things when I ride without running into them. And a rider must be able to look at many things nearly simultaneously e.g the car in the side street waiting to pull out, always taking in the complete 'environment'.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My take, the very reason the bike stood up and ran straight on was because you applied the brakes when you realized the corner tighten up some.

All motorcycles will tend to stand up when the front brake is applied (initially or harder) when lent over. Understand why, and then you'll know what to do to prevent it.

BUT .... even on the previous corner I got a sense of tension and fighting the bike. It was like you are muscling the bike through corners. My take, it all relates back to a couple basic riding fundamentals.

P.S. And for what its worth, I don't believe 'target fixation' is the root-cause of any crash. It's just a symptom of some other skill failure which put the rider in a frozen panic situation in the first place. I look at all manner of things when I ride without running into them. And a rider must be able to look at many things nearly simultaneously e.g the car in the side street waiting to pull out, always taking in the complete 'environment'.
Thanks for analysis. I knew I’d be critiqued thoroughly when I posted, but thought others opinion important. I’ve done panic stops with this bike for practice and a few where stop lights required, so believe I’ve got a good feel for effectiveness of the brakes. Good point on braking making bike stand up. Bottom line, I believe, is the bike would have made it fine through corner if brakes released properly. Didn’t see any gravel or deposits that would have caused an issue.
Sunday morning, on the way back over mountain, rain storm had scattered rocks onto roadway that was clean on Thursday.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I’ve done panic stops with this bike for practice and a few where stop lights required, so believe I’ve got a good feel for effectiveness of the brakes. Good point on braking making bike stand up. Bottom line, I believe, is the bike would have made it fine through corner if brakes released properly.

What makes you think your brakes are sticking on? Have you experienced this occurring in a straight line?

My guess is you've practiced all your panic stops in a straight line. Go practice a few with the bike cranked over, obviously not so radical that you throw the bike down the road. Bet the bike runs wide just like in your video, so make sure it is somewhere that this doesn't present a danger.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What makes you think your brakes are sticking on? Have you experienced this occurring in a straight line?

My guess is you've practiced all your panic stops in a straight line. Go practice a few with the bike cranked over, obviously not so radical that you throw the bike down the road. Bet the bike runs wide just like in your video, so make sure it is somewhere that this doesn't present a danger.
No, you misunderstand. Brakes did not stick on, did not mean that. Maybe should have said if I had released properly.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point. Will have to remember to test next visit. There is something different about that corner, just can’t figure it out from video.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m with theresanothersteve. I just returned from a 10 day tour in Northern Spain on my R1200GS and had almost the exact same experience on day 9. It was down to exhaustion, leading to lack of concentration and loss of confidence in what should have been a simple corner. It certainly wasn’t a problem with the bike. Luckily the roads there are almost deserted.

Z

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
Paddlefoot,

I’ll have to admit I was apprehensive about watching your video because I thought it was going to be a get off.

I was relieved you only blew your line and didn’t have an actual low/high side.

What you did has happened to all of us.

Good onya for being brave enough to post.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
To me it looked like a lack of commitment to take the corner, by that I mean you thought you we’re going in to hot so you gave up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Take a look at any of the videos/descriptions of trail braking. We should all be comfortable braking into corners. Done right, increasing braking force will cause your line to tighten.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts