Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Sounds to me that you You have a wiring loom issue. Either the Cam-bus system. This can be a nightmare. I would suggest you do a physical search in all the areas that rubbing could occur. It could be the quickest way of finding the cause. I would start with in the tail area where the cables go past the tool bag under the seat. ( I’ve noticed some rubbing from the indicator cables. Then under the tank. Most common place for rubbing between the tank and the trestle frame. There other places eg left hand side under the fairing near the battery. Why do I know this ? I have had my complete wiring loom replacement because your Ducati dealer mechanic is not the cleverest guy to understand and diagnose a Cam -Bus wiring system they do not appreciate how it works and how multiple senses and signals are shared I have no doubt the right guy with the right training and expertise would find your problem quite quickly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Sounds to me that you You have a wiring loom issue. Either the Cam-bus system. This can be a nightmare. I would suggest you do a physical search in all the areas that rubbing could occur. It could be the quickest way of finding the cause. I would start with in the tail area where the cables go past the tool bag under the seat. ( I’ve noticed some rubbing from the indicator cables. Then under the tank. Most common place for rubbing between the tank and the trestle frame. There other places eg left hand side under the fairing near the battery. Why do I know this ? I have had my complete wiring loom replacement because your Ducati dealer mechanic is not the cleverest guy to understand and diagnose a Cam -Bus wiring system they do not appreciate how it works and how multiple senses and signals are shared I have no doubt the right guy with the right training and expertise would find your problem quite quickly.
Wiring loom issue is my fear also…bike is out of warranty.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Wiring loom issue is my fear also…bike is out of warranty.
Look at it this way if it is a wiring loom issue. All you have to do is find the clamped or worn wire. Then it is easy solved. As I said before the right technician can test and trace the fault. Good luck with it. My bike is out of Warranty too but I made Ducati give me a lifetime warranty on any faults deriving from the wiring loom (not transferable) as part of an agreed settlement as i didn’t trust the muppets who blew it up in the first place to fit it correctly

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got this problem just now. I am out on a solo ride and the abs and warning lights are on, plus sport mode and abs/dts setting indicators are flashing. Turn off and on clears it but only for a few hundred metres or so. I've changed nothing on the bike except bar ends and I washed it. Will check abs sensors, but now dreading the diagnosis nightmare this thread describes.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Happened to me. But the SPORT icon was also flashing.

I found the front ABS sensor had come loose and the bolt was gone. The bolt bracket was still there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
power wash?
Never a power wash, always a gentle shower, Ed. On the way home the speedo stopped, then it started working normal again after a rest break, then all went bad again. So I am home now and will do all the recommended sensor checks/cleaning.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
340 Posts
If below photo is the ABS sensor I am supposed to remove and clean, I've done that on both wheels. Really only some grime on the rear one, and both bolts were tight as from factory (yellow paint lining up). Inspected the cables as far as I can trace them and couldn't find any damage. Switched the bike on and problem is still there.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

Have not removed the tank or checked other places for wiring issues. I hate wires. So will probably call my Ducati service dude and book it in. Very, very sad - I'm worried this will be a saga to fix.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
If below photo is the ABS sensor I am supposed to remove and clean, ...
Is that a reflection or an exposed red wire?

·
Registered
340 Posts
@Capone someone suggested the abs has its own wire directly to the battery which might have come loose or have a bad connection. That's the next thing I will check, since cleaning th esensors was not enough. Problem is intermittent but still recurring every ride. Are you still riding it too?

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Is there a dealer nearby to run diagnostics?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dropped mine off at the dealer tonight.

I removed my charger & wires from the front/left accessory port & re-sealed it up, and didn't make any mention of using it to the tech.

Will see what happens...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is there a dealer nearby to run diagnostics?
Yep. I will check the battery connection myself today, and if that remedies nothing, off to my local dealer on Monday, or as soon as they can fit it in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, ****.

Dealer tech called and said the front wheel speed sensor wire came disconnected somewhere up at the front of the bike. Not the sensor itself, but the wire.

I feel like a fool. I have no idea how it would have happened, unless I "knocked" (???) it loose while using that front accessory port? Is that really possible? Is it really that easy to do?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I feel like a fool. I have no idea how it would have happened, unless I "knocked" (???) it loose while using that front accessory port? Is that really possible? Is it really that easy to do?
Shouldn’t be, unless it wasn’t clicked into place from the factory. I wouldn’t kick yourself too bad, **** happens.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, ****.

Dealer tech called and said the front wheel speed sensor wire came disconnected somewhere up at the front of the bike. Not the sensor itself, but the wire.

Interesting... I recently was in there amongst that wiring too, removing my heated grips. I wonder if I managed to bump the sensor wire loose too. Will check again, thanls for letting us all know. And @GPJake it's tight in there, so big man hands could easily bump something loose without realising, so yeah don't feel bad.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@Capone someone suggested the abs has its own wire directly to the battery which might have come loose or have a bad connection. That's the next thing I will check, since cleaning th esensors was not enough. Problem is intermittent but still recurring every ride. Are you still riding it too?
Yes, been riding like a bat out of hell. It is annoying to have the bright warning lights and dash RM flashing. But as long as you realise that you do not have ABS and DTC available I feel like it is just an old school superbike :)
I really hate electronics that put on an act. My front sensor was exchanged, so I know that is not the culprit. Could be as Rhino suggests a kink somewhere else in the wiring but I still didnt find anything that could cause this error without making other serious errors.
Please keep posting what you find/try.

Reactions: Boe
41 - 60 of 70 Posts