Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Abu Dhabi (UAE) to Sohar (Oman) Feb 2022

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Nomad80 
#1 ·
What a great trip! The super sport was a gem driving the winding roads of Oman for 800km over two days (500/300). With the exception of some annoying gravel patches (which I managed) and some gravel mixed with heavy sand (where I left my pride aside and asked one of the most experienced riders to take it across, and who excitedly obliged) the trip was wonderful.

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Screenshot

Map Ecoregion World Line Atlas

The kriega bags (20l and 10l) were also a success. While I managed to leave the back bag in a car for most of the ride to be more comfortable, the front bag was an amazing support. Am even thinking to leave it there as it helped me rest my upper body. I also removed the cowl as per @theresanothersteve advice to protect it from scratches.

The only glitches of the trip were:

1. A painful left arm between the wrist and the elbow, which is strange as the left hand is technically pretty relaxed. I massaged it intensely with oil and it is much better today.
  2. A couple false neutrals when using the QS from second to third gear - which I will try to avoid by using the regular clutch from now on between 2 and 3rd.
  3. Engine died once when I was in town because i was going too slow on a second (I haven’t yet switched mentally from the Bonneville to the SS). I need to become better at maneuvering on very low speed with the Ducati. But I quickly recovered and switched on from neutral while still moving.
I found it very helpful on straight roads to sit a bit further back and place the top of my boots on the pegs. It helped stretch all that needed to be stretched while I was sure that I didn’t need to change gear.

Below are some pics from the trip and the kriega set up. Trigger warning: there are a lot of Harleys on site

Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Sky Helmet Fuel tank

Tire Sky Mountain Vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Great trip.

You know your arm wouldn't hurt so bad if you just nailed the gas and left those Harleys. You could be resting while waiting on them at the next gas stop smoking a Marlboro. :geek:

You'd be all fresh and good to go. Nothing hurts your body more than poking along waiting for other riders. :cry:

#4 ·
Great trip.

You know your arm wouldn't hurt so bad if you just nailed the gas and left those Harleys. You could be resting while waiting on them at the next gas stop smoking a Marlboro. :geek:

You'd be all fresh and good to go. Nothing hurts your body more than poking along waiting for other riders. :cry:
🤣 true. I sadly never exceeded 140km/h during the trip 🥺

#7 ·
Fun trip! I love road trips. I also use the same Kriega set up - I love those packs.

Hey, for the slow speed skills, I learned a lot doing the drills that Moto Jitsu on YouTube talks about, in his earlier videos. Like u-turns and circles and swerving and slow riding in a straight line. Regular practice gave me a very good feel for the bike's gearing, weight/balance, turning, braking, etc...

Reactions: theresanothersteve
#10 ·
Go girl...

John's calculations might be a bit awry...

I find on spirited runs I sit around 140 KMH, or about 80 mph. Fast bends at that speed are exhilarating. Where I live, however, a lot of the bends have an advisory speed of 25 kmh (15 mph). They can be taken at about double the advisory speed, or a bit less.

The trick is to find a speed that makes your heart beat faster, but you don't exceed the bike's capabilities or run out of talent. Find a speed where you enjoy yourself but have a margin for error. Rule of thumb, 80% of your capability.

It will be a learning experience, you will get faster as your experience grows and you build confidence in your ability, and that of the bike. The Supersport is a peach in that respect, you'll have to do something silly for it to let you down.

#12 ·
I work at Lane Motor Museum which is right near the Nashville airport. My feelings will be hurt if you don't get in touch while you're here. 🤣 🤪
We're closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You should get by on the weekend because that's when the basement tours are available (11:30 & 2:00); there are ~ 150 cars & bikes in the main area but another ~300 cars in the basement and ~40 motorcycles.

Ask for Tom

#15 ·
Good job, @Nomad80.

Kriega for the win.

Hopefully the speed cameras aren’t as bad in the UAE as they are in Saudi Arabia. I paid out some tickets over two years I was there and I drive like a grandmother in cars. I can’t imagine trying to ride a motorcycle there. Talk about frustrating...all that performance capability and no roads to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.