Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
521 - 540 of 580 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I dunno...highway blast yesterday at 160km/h for a coupla hours sounded only slightly above normal to me. Maybe I have Pete Townshend’s ears....a bit dulled.

1st through 4th is a whole ‘nother story. Symphonic jack hammer comin’ atcha, baby!! If Richard Wagner were alive, I think he’d include the Slovenian war trumpets in his next composition. If not, then Karl Orff would somehow work them into ‘Carmina Burana’. The Akrapovic pipes must have some voice role in manifesting humanity’s struggle between sin and chasteness.

Or perhaps not...maybe they’re just a really righteous exhaust system that make me want to murder the windows of the Prius next to me.

Jury’s still out, I’ll keep y’all posted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I forgot to add....throttle response smoothed out in the lower RPMs.

Of course, I'm not sure why one would want to ride the SS in lower RPMs. Higher revs = happiness.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Get some autosol polish on that stainless bud. Looking great. Nice job.
Good call. It's nothing but rain here in Flor-duh so after installing my FMF pipe on my KTM, I'll head back to the bits and bobs shop to pick some up.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I have a FMF on my ktm 690, a lovely sound it gives off but the akra does sound a lot better, or
is it because it cost me so [email protected] much that it sounds better.
Funny how that works, huh? :grin2:

Had a pleasant but short ride today (~20 miles) under perfect bike, weather and rider conditions and devoted some attention to the pipes.

1st through 4th are still deliciously thunderous. Getting on the throttle and snicking it up through the gears gives me the sound I always imagined a Ducati sportbike should provide.

I don't think the bike is really any snappier but I do think the throttle response has smoothed out. I'm probably not a good enough rider to feel the mild HP and torque gain but I've got enough miles in the saddle to tell when a bike's throttle has smoothed out.

5th and 6th at highway speeds (6k RPM or better) are, yes, louder than stock, but not crazy loud like 1st through 4th. I thought this could be perhaps due to excessive wind noise on my cheapo AGV helmet. Maybe with a more aerodynamic helmet I would hear less wind noise and more pipe.

The Akra system helps fine tune one's engine braking skills. How could one NOT want to snick down through the gears and listen to the burbles and pops as you come down from high RPMs? Making a milk run for Momma is a joy.

At any rate, the Akra fool exhaust system price is no joke but, for me, it's worth it for the weight loss, the smoother throttle response, the looks and the proper Italian sportbike sound.

I really enjoyed my dealer's response to my question.

ME: "Did you take the baffles out?"

DEALER: "Why would anyone spend all that money on those pipes only to stifle the sound?"

If the pipes get to be too much, I'll just getter better ear pro.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Funny how that works, huh? :grin2:

Had a pleasant but short ride today (~20 miles) under perfect bike, weather and rider conditions and devoted some attention to the pipes.

1st through 4th are still deliciously thunderous. Getting on the throttle and snicking it up through the gears gives me the sound I always imagined a Ducati sportbike should provide.

I don't think the bike is really any snappier but I do think the throttle response has smoothed out. I'm probably not a good enough rider to feel the mild HP and torque gain but I've got enough miles in the saddle to tell when a bike's throttle has smoothed out.

5th and 6th at highway speeds (6k RPM or better) are, yes, louder than stock, but not crazy loud like 1st through 4th. I thought this could be perhaps due to excessive wind noise on my cheapo AGV helmet. Maybe with a more aerodynamic helmet I would hear less wind noise and more pipe.

The Akra system helps fine tune one's engine braking skills. How could one NOT want to snick down through the gears and listen to the burbles and pops as you come down from high RPMs? Making a milk run for Momma is a joy.

At any rate, the Akra fool exhaust system price is no joke but, for me, it's worth it for the weight loss, the smoother throttle response, the looks and the proper Italian sportbike sound.

I really enjoyed my dealer's response to my question.

ME: "Did you take the baffles out?"

DEALER: "Why would anyone spend all that money on those pipes only to stifle the sound?"

If the pipes get to be too much, I'll just getter better ear pro.
If you put the Rapid Race / Evo you can adjust the EBC. I have my ebc set to 10% injection from 3000rpm.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Awesome man! I'm still waiting for mine! (also the bike though)

Does the exhaust also come with an air filter besides the mapping?
In the exhaust kit is the exhaust and vertical header with various shields. It come with a sprint race air filter and the upmap dongle.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
How to prevent the discolouration of the stainless pipes

Sorry guys Other than autosol and a few toothbrushes I don't know how to stop the yellowing/browning of the pipes.

Anyone out there with some sound tips to prolong the shine.
I have googled and read a fair bit but olive oil and wd40 are not on my list to prolong the shine.

Tips please!!

521 - 540 of 580 Posts