Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
541 - 560 of 580 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Amos, you sold me on Autosol a few weeks ago...don't make me second guess myself.

Olive oil? What Greenpeace nerd recommended that?

Did I say that with my outside voice?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Amos, you sold me on Autosol a few weeks ago...don't make me second guess myself.

Olive oil? What Greenpeace nerd recommended that?

Did I say that with my outside voice?
Haha... do you have the akra on. Post pics. You should know by now we always want to improve things. We want the bike to always look fantastic. So it took me a day with autosol to clean the pipes and they came up lovely, but they lose their shine after one solid ride, as soon as they get up to town riding temperature then the yellowing starts.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
amos have you ever thought of spray painting the pipes underneath the bike with either a satin or matt black heat paint ?
I initially investigated a ceramic dip but now I have the polished aluminium wheels a shiny stainless looks great with them. Actually while writing this I think I should find a chrome finish. Only need to find an optimal colour. The yellowing of the stainless takes only a single ride after a good polish. Underneath is brown blue which means the bottom is 3 times the temperature at the silencers... Interesting name that because there's nothing silent about them.
http://chromeit.co.za

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am seriously considering doing ceramic powder coating of these pipes. After only 1,500+ miles they got very yellow/bluish ugly, especially in contrast with the titanium cans. I think matte black will be best with my white bike. Thoughts? Couldn't find any pictures, so I have no idea whether it's going to look ok or not. Is there anyone here possessing sufficient Photoshop skills to make the pipes black in my avatar (attaching a higher res version)?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts

I waffled with getting jet-hot. I ended up not doing it, after realizing that the akra isn't a "full" system after all- didn't want to leave the bike disassembled last winter. And, I figured there's no downside to waiting. Haven't since felt the need for it. $700+, seems to look good, but some folks have problems with the coating-many seem to have to send it back for re-coating at some point. Don't think I'd do it on the white- too busy with different colors going on, just my opinion.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Decided to paint the Akra pipes under the bike.... only took about 45 mins giving it 3 coats...left an hour to cure & the went for a 60 mile ride....paint still intact

Well I think it looks better :laugh:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Decided to paint the Akra pipes under the bike.... only took about 45 mins giving it 3 coats...left an hour to cure & the went for a 60 mile ride....paint still intact

Well I think it looks better :laugh:
Anything looks better than the yellow and brown.
BTW did you pull the headers off or only the extensions.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Anything looks better than the yellow and brown.
BTW did you pull the headers off or only the extensions.
Amos no I did not remove anything I did it in situ...very simple, I just used some paper and a bit of masking tape to stop a bit of over spray...the paint I used was a home UK brand "Halfords" VHT flat header paint.
PS.... I did not paint any of the headers here, only the visible pipe work & the front lower heat shield...this was done purely for Aesthetics .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gents,

Without reading through the last 20 pages has anyone come up with an aftermarket DB Killer that is not as sound restrictive as the ones that come with our AKRA Race Exhausts but helps tone down the sound a little on the exhaust system from what it sounds like with the DB Killers pulled? I was reading a few months back that one of the guys was looking at one off of Ebay or something that had a larger diameter DB Killer pipe with more holes etc did that end up sounding louder then the current set that comes with the pipes.

Anyone modify the DB Killers that come with the Akra maybe drilling holes in the end to allow more flow and sounds?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just had the feedback from the garage:

- No db killers = 102.8 dbA @ 4000
- With original Akra db killers = 98.7 dbA @ 4000
- With Raspo db killers = 95.3 dbA @ 4000

Below how it looks like... I know it's not sexy but it's a track/cops safe pass

Thanks for posting this and saving me some money.

Our nearby city decided to take on "excessively noisy bikes", and put the following rules in play:

• Violators in excess of 92 dbA at idle for all motorcycles
  • Violators in excess of 96 dbA at 2000 rpm for motorcycles having less than 3 cylinders or more than 4 cylinders
Above any of that, and you're getting a $250 ticket.

I haven't found an aftermarket exhaust that can meet that yet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

Our nearby city decided to take on "excessively noisy bikes", and put the following rules in play:

• Violators in excess of 96 dbA at 2000 rpm for motorcycles having less than 3 cylinders or more than 4 cylinders

The OEM exhaust must be very close to those noise levels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drillling holes or short'ening' the pipes of Akra dB killers will definitely increase the sound.

You are welcome Brianbotts
You would be safe with the raspo dB killers 😉

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

On the side of the frame is a sticker indicating the noise levels of the standard bike.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So what’s the actual db for the aKra race exhaust with no fb killers ?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
So what’s the actual db for the aKra race exhaust with no fb killers ?
If I remember correctly, a member posted 103db. TBH it depends on the fuel mapping, when enriched is has a deeper base sound, when leaned is has an irritating treble noise. The up map is towards the lean end of the scale.. Even that map is written for emissions.

541 - 560 of 580 Posts