Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next door neighbor just traded his Victory for a new Indian Roadmaster with bags and a trunk. He rides a 150 mi route once per week and doesn't take long trips. He wears a silly half helmet, boots, gloves, jeans and a long sleeve shirt. He doesn't seem worried about lack of crash protection, but I never see him without a mask. Although I am mystified why he needs a Roadmaster to ride a short distance every week, I am even more perplexed why he ignores the most critical gear and opts for a face mask.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Even worse than the rider who doesn't wear all the gear, is the rider who is happy to let his wife/girlfriend/partner (or any pillion) ride on the back of his bike in a T shirt shorts and sandals whilst he is in full gear.

There are plenty of horrific stories out there of fatalaties, horrendous life changing injuries and disfigurement as a result of people not wearing the right gear, so why on earth would you let someone ride on the back of your bike wearing next to nothing, whilst you are fully kitted out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This subject of security will never finish.
This afternoon we rided with 35°c. Leather jacket, back protection, renforced jean, gloves, boots... and some with only a helmet as protection were laughing watching me...

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife and I had this conversation recently. I've been riding for 9 years and been with her for 6,5. I have only taken her on the back of my bike 3 times. All those times she was wearing my helmet (it's actually not that big for her), my gloves and jacked (both look ridiculously big on her) and some sort of high boot and normal jeans. All three rides were less than 3 miles :)

I offered to buy her the full gear, even told her that I will give her £3k (my gear combined is worth less) and she can buy whatever she liked, but she refuses. Now and again, she asks me if I'd take her riding, but every time I give her that offer of buying the full gear and she passes on it. And it's been like this for over 6 years :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always wear full face, protective gloves, a jacket with crash pads and tall motorcycle boots. When it gets below 80F I'll wear full Dainese leathers , perforated for the warm , insulated for the cold. I've been in 2 near fatal accidents.. I don't mind the protection .. JStrube is right on ..If you aren't wearing a jacket Long sleeves will be better ..evaporation from wind and heat will zap you quick . Learned that lesson from a buddy in Desert Storm

·
Registered
374 Posts
I always wear full face, protective gloves, a jacket with crash pads and tall motorcycle boots.
You haven't mentioned what you wear on your legs?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Anyone wearing air bag vests here? I like the looks of the Klim.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are some good looking Air Bag Vests out there from the likes of Dainese, Alpinestars, RST etc. I'd consider one when I next change my leathers as they're a bit 'snug' to get an Air Bag Vest under and allow the necessary room for it to deploy and do its job. Until then, I'll stick with my chest and back protector.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Anyone wearing air bag vests here? I like the looks of the Klim.
I'm waiting for them to come down in price. Very expensive here for a branded one but also they're too cheap for an unbranded one. Similarly with helmet and leather clothing that have approvals associated with them, it should be mandatory for all safety and protective equipment. Sadly there are some Eastern countries that have no respect for approval boards and seals of approval and their sh!t finds its way everywhere.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Looks like Klim is $399 here, with option to purchase “brain” or lease for $125 per year. The reason the Klim seems best to me is it appears to have ventilated panels. I live in a very hot/humid climate.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have a feeling if I had an air vest that I would forget I have it on, get off the bike and poof

·
Registered
11 Posts
You haven't mentioned what you wear on your legs?
Foot wear : Chippewa Policeman Motorcycle boots , TCX X2 . I got a pair of Alpine Stars SMX +
Right to left Dianese suits Assen/ Misano (perf) Super Race / Alpha Custom shop(perf) and for winter Avro 1/ Alien also have a new AGV Pista GP R helmet to compliment the RF1200

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
@DougieKistheway Do you wear a back and chest protector too?

I never ride without them, especially after I had a bad crash a few years back and the A&E Consultant in the Hospital said if I hadn't have been wearing them, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Personal choice I know, but that's mine (y)

Personally, I avoid wearing a back pack unless it only has soft things in it. I do understand that some people need to wear one to carry stuff in though.

We all have our on thoughts and dare I say it 'rituals' in respect of riding gear.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
@DougieKistheway Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Tell us more about your experience with the Big Ears, and how they compared with foam ear protection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts