Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone guilty of the fashion crime of running the stock mirrors at the same time as bar end mirrors? If so, please share your photos. There are times when I want/need better vision behind me but I don’t want to go through the trouble of removing the stock mirrors because of the integrated blinkers. I am considering CNC lane splitting mirrors because they can be folded in when not needed. Alternatively, I am also considering one of those back up camera systems where I would mount the display somewhere in the cockpit. That would be a cleaner alternative. I haven’t started researching that alternative yet, but if anyone has, please comment. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Have you considered small spherical mirrors glued on the basic mirrors' conrners? They improve blind spots. Sometimes I think about them, they are the size of half dollar as I recall.
(I am against your idea ;) )

·
Registered
409 Posts
I cannot dispute the ugliness of the bar end mirrors combined with the stock mirrors. The more that I consider this, having a wireless back up camera tied into my iPhone might be the way to go. I found the below in a brief search.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/35-motorcycle-camera-backup-system

Has anyone else considered this? Thanks.
I looked for a rear view camera that would feed to my phone. In the end I went with the single bar end mirror. I have the stock mirrors adjusted to cover my blind spots. When something is that close the vibration doesn't matter.

The mirror is just a cheap knock off from ebay. About $20 for two. I bought thinking I'd upgrade them if they worked. But they work so well that I didn't see the need. 20191008_070816_1570540295602.jpg

At first it was function over form. But the look has grown on me.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! They look better than I expected. What did you think of the back up camera option when you looked into it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks! They look better than I expected. What did you think of the back up camera option when you looked into it?
I wanted the image on my phone - not on a stand alone screen. There's one for a bicycle that works that way, but you can't connect it to 12v. A helmet unit looked interesting, but discontinued. Technology just doesn't seem to be there yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Alf. Unfortunately, the picture looks like it is no longer in your post. Maybe it's a problem on my end.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For better vision, go to Amazon, buy a 3mm sheet of Sorbothane ($25), cut four 20x70mm rectangles, wedge two per mirror between mirror and housing (along the bottom). You will never think of your mirrors again.

If you still want to go the bar mirror route, I have two Ducati aluminum mirror block offs and two CRG Arrow mirrors I'll sell you for cheap. :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
For better vision, go to Amazon, buy a 3mm sheet of Sorbothane ($25), cut four 20x70mm rectangles, wedge two per mirror between mirror and housing (along the bottom). You will never think of your mirrors again.

If you still want to go the bar mirror route, I have two Ducati aluminum mirror block offs and two CRG Arrow mirrors I'll sell you for cheap. :)
That Sorbothane invites more info.

Please advise, pictures would help.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My stock mirrors weren’t awful but the recall mirrors were, pretty much made them unusable.

Last time I brought the bike in I mentioned it to the dealer, they called Ducati who suggested they epoxy a bunch of wheel weights to the inside of the mirror behind the glass. MUCH, much better, I wasn’t sold at first but they are now useable mirrors that vibrate like you’d expect a twin would after you get above 6,000 rpm or so but below that they work pretty **** good.

·
Registered
409 Posts

If you still want to go the bar mirror route, I have two Ducati aluminum mirror block offs and two CRG Arrow mirrors I'll sell you for cheap. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I don't think this would work on mine. It's the whole arm that vibrates. The one on the left feels tight to the fairing, while the one on the right is a little looser. Surprisingly, the image in the looser right hand mirror is slightly better. But both are pretty useless. Good enough to tell that there's a vehicle behind, but not to tell whether it's a ski rack on top or something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts

you just wedged these in between the glass and the housing? then i assume cut the excess flush with the housing?

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I finally decided to try and improve the mirrors. Mine weren't too bad, but after reading Rhino's account of packing behind the mirror with foam rubber I thought I'd give it a go.

I went to a local rubber store and bought a couple of metres (just in case) of 1/2" round black foam rubber.

I started by trying to force the rubber behind the mirrors, but soon gave up and popped the mirror out of their mounts. I ran the foam around the inside of the mirror housing and placed the mirrors back in their mounts. Perfect.

I now have mirrors that don't vibrate.

Reactions: Rhino
1 - 20 of 28 Posts