Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Three to four. Twins on back and one decompression tank or all four in sidemount configuration.
****, thats hardcore. Like Amos, i never got very far, only Advanced Open Water and some add on courses and that’s now close to two decades ago. On the other hand, this was in Scandinavia, where wet suiting in +7-8 deg C water is not uncommon and visibility above 7-8 meters (20-25 ft) is considered excellent so. Well preserved wrecks though.

Suppose you’re running trimix exclusively at the depths you’re diving to?

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Open water PADI here too...but it’s been a while.

Even longer ago, during my college summer days, I was a Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor... nice job. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hang on a sec....I didn’t mean to mislead you guys.

I’m just an AOW diver, too, but I dive at least four times a week, trending towards five. Throw in lots of those are night, boat, drift, wreck and wall dives and my appetite is growing for the next dimension of diving.

The folks I dive with are all UK, BEL, FRA, DEU, USA, ESP and ITA. We have LEB and EGY divers, too. Most everybody is an instructor - PADI, BSAC and SSI. There are a few outlier dive agency instructors, too. At any rate, we good a good cross-pollination of talent and technique in the local dive community.

Everybody mostly geeks out with exotic camera rigs hunting down nudibranches and other macro subjects.

But several are also tec divers and every couple of weeks somebody’s dropping down past 40m with a sidemount rig to try to find the Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Maseratis of the sea. I accompanied a French and German diver two weekends ago down to 40m where I only get about 7 minutes of bottom time before violating my no decompression limit and then saw them off as they dropped to 60m.

Sidemount configuration is the dominant technique mainly because it relieves one of schlepping around hefty twins on the back. Sidemount started out as a cave diver’s technique because it minimized the diver’s dorsal profile squeezing through narrow caves but the configuration has expanded to open water rec-tec diving because of comfort and total volume.

Anyways, I just got back from a liveaboard trip where I was doing a massive coral wall dive and a Napoleon Wrasse and Hawksbill turtle left me at 40 meters dropping down into the inky blue depths and I was frustrated I couldn’t just keep going knowing that my normal 3 min safety stop would simply progress into one or more 7-9 minutes decompression stops to off-gas the nitrogen.

Don’t have many pics of me diving but here’s a shot I took last weekend. New lights already arrived and I’ve got a depth-appropriate filter coming from www.backscatter.com so the color should improve in the near future.

https://gopro.com/v/G1p7G7QeZk0WW

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another of a French brother shooting some eel footage and then two old Italian guys arguing under water over the best way to shoot a big, fat rockfish.

Still cracks me up...Max even starts to take his reg out of mouth like he’s going to yell at Vittorio. You can take the boys out of Italy but you can’t take Italy out of the boys.

Anyways....back to the SuperSport and the 899 Panigale I’m going to transform into a dedicated track bike.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@NothingClever dive 4-5x per week! I guess conveniently located!
Yeah, sorta lucked out this time around.

Today I spent some quality time filming a juvenile octopus and then chased a turtle for awhile.

No sharks today. Hopefully next week when I spend a few days on a liveaboard.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the interest of providing evidence that even a dork like me can take a GoPro and make something semi-enjoyable, here’s a video from yesterday’s dive shot with a GoPro 5.

It will be fun when I get home and can mount my GoPro to the Duc for some track days. I always get a little envious of Rhino’s videos.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the serenity of diving. I haven't dived in decades after fracturing my ear drum in a water skiing accident. Great video, absolutely beautiful. Just wish it was longer!

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, enrolled now in Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures through the Technical Diving International organization.

I’m getting 1.5 to 1.75 hours out of a single tank now even after maxing out my allowable bottom time at 40m.

Buoyancy control is tight so working on helicopter turns and back kicking now.

Started a small dive club of fellow zealots from England, France, Germany, Belgium and Australia. We have access to a fast boat and a guide that gets us out to premium sites the cattle boats don’t go to.

Life is good.

·
Registered
405 Posts
DiveMaster. Still diving but longer active as a DM. Signed up for a Trimix course 20 ++ years ago to dive the Monitor. But NOAA stopped diving on it to salvage the turret. So I cancelled the course. I can see all I want to see at less than 100 feet on Palau's Blue Corner.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll take Extended Range after my AN/DP courses and that’ll get me to 60m. After that, not sure I’ll feel that interested or compelled to go deeper thus requiring a Trimix cert. Besides, not sure I’m all that keen on the idea of dropping below 18% metabolic mins. That’s through Adv Trimix but you know the deal....slippery slope. I sense Trimix is like a gateway drug.

Agreed about seeing a lot at recreational depths...sharks, octopi, green turtles, rays, even pilot whales...all have been at recreational depths. I just want to have the option of going deeper if the dive objective warrants it. A month or so ago, two French buddies cruised right past 40m to hover at a shark-watching spot at around 55m. I had to hard deck myself at 40m so it was mildly disappointing that I couldn’t just keep on descending.

Anyways, I’m on track with TDI and happy to have gotten off the PADI marketing carousel. They take one chapter of training, turn it into five chapters and advertise yet another diluted course every other page. They take a few skills that could be merged into one course and turn them into three different courses. Rather nauseating if you have a strong sense of performance-based training and have experience building out organizational training plans.

TDI, on the other hand, is refreshingly “clean” and straightforward in their instructional approach.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My trip home to Colorado and Florida and my instructor’s vacation to Thailand rather interrupted my dive studies and training but I finally completed my Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses this weekend.

Twin 80s on a backplate and deco bottle of 50% 02 is an easy dive now.

Extended Range and Trimix are next in September. I don’t think it will be that much different - add helium to the mix to decrease nitrogen on-gassing and go deeper. In water procedures don’t really change and since one can’t breathe 100% 02 until 6m, it seems like it will be pretty hard to dork up the gas switches.

Much like track riding, this is a sport where groin injuries to the wallet occur frequently.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Extended Range and Introduction to Trimix certifies one to dive to 60 meters (200 feet).

The Advanced Trimix course follows and trains one for dives to 100m (330 feet).

Base breathing gas is 21% Oxygen and 79% Nitrogen. Trimix signifies the addition of Helium (inert) to reduce the amount of Nitrogen one breathes underwater. Nitrogen naturally occurs in ambient air in tolerable quantities at one atmosphere (sea level). However, at pressurized depths, Nitrogen is diffused by the lungs into the blood and then into one’s tissues (perfusion) faster than your body can dissipate it thus setting the stage for decompression sickness if one ascends too quickly. A quick ascent unnaturally forces the Nitrogen out of solution thus complicating all sorts of bodily functions (most commonly called the “bends” but that’s really an outdated term). So, a Trimix blend would be one part Oxygen, one part Helium and one part Nitrogen with the Helium reducing the amount of Nitrogen your body has to process.

I think if I’m comfortable at 60 meters and don’t suffer too much narcosis, I’ll try to rack up some dives to that level to gain experience and then take the Advanced Trimix when I head back to the US. Safety standards are a lot higher there, especially in Florida, the technical dive capitol of the world.

I’ll work on pictures. Since I changed my primary hose configuration from recreational to technical, I no longer dive with my GoPro chest rig because it complicates clean routing of the primary hose. That’s the donor hose if another diver is out of gas. Actually, I no longer dive with my GoPro during technical dives because it’s a “danglie” and an entanglement hazard in general which is a no-no. Sorta like riding around the track without taping your lights and mirrors.

I’ll have to research the suitability of a hand mount for my GoPro.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Partial and complete overhead cavern system in this reef. Great diving and since it’s not deep, a single AL80 can easily last two hours depending on one’s respiratory minute volume. I’m in pretty decent shape according to my Physician so I might go back out there just to see how long I can make a tank last. My record so far on one tank is 1:49 (after maxing out my NDL at 40m). I wonder if I could get 2:30 since this reef system is no deeper than 15m.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts