Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, has anyone tried a superbike handlebar conversion on the SS yet?

My tours are mostly 150 - 250 mile trips with as little pauses as possible (refuel, take a piss and go), 5 minutes max. And right now, it puts quite a strain on my wrists.
I know it's probably my weight as I'm a bit of a fatso, coming in at 115 kg @ 1,88 m (In Fluffy Iglesias's 6 levels of fatness I'd probably be "healthy" :ROFLMAO:) but it is what it is and probably won't change that much in near future.
And only thinking about my planned 2500 mile trip through France next year with at least 250 - 350 miles per day makes my wrists ache already.

I already tried raising the clip-ons by 20 mm with the Ducabike aluminium spacers, but it's not enough. So I'm openly thinking about committing the ultimative sacrilege and replace the clip-ons with a superbike handlebar to get a slightly more upright position and to relieve my wrists a bit.
Has anyone here already done the unspeakable and installed such a handlebar?

@Ed K I didn't quite find the correct subsection in the forum to post this in. If you have a better one, please feel free to move this thread.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle White Automotive tire

Reactions: Speedy23 and Ed K

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonder if the Streetfighter bars could be made to fit the SuperSport(?).
Idk about the diameter of the SF bars, but with this upper triple clamp you can fit any bar you want which is 28 mm thick in the clamping area.

I'd totally get a black one, btw. Looks so much better than a silver triple clamp imo.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stack a second set of 20mm risers and get longer bolts. I thought there were 40mm risers available at one time…….
There are 40 mm ones available. But imo it looks hideous (or at least much worse than a sbk conversion). And if you have to deal with the TÜV like me, there's a another can of worms you'd open up with that.
I already had to jump through hoops to get the 20 mm risers registered, as they don't come with a "parts-approval" or an
general operating permit (ABE). Adding another set of 20 mm spacers or switching to 40 mm ones, I'd have to go through the whole process again, which cost me 250 € in fees (having to drive to a special TÜV station 20 km away twice and then send some paperwork to the main vehicle registration office not included) on top of the 95€ for the risers themselves and it took 8 weeks from start to finish. Thank you, good Sir, but I won't do that again :D

The conversion kit above comes with a parts-approval, so I only have to get it checked in at any TÜV station and then have them registered in the vehicle registration, which can be done in less than 2 hours back to back and only costs about 70 €.

• Wow
Reactions: GPJake

·
Registered
111 Posts
These tickled something inside of me. Does anyone know if this will help with your thumb getting stuck against the tank when doing a full lock turn?

I get it... I shouldn't be doing full lock turns in a Supersport... but I like them!

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
156 Posts
As the title says, has anyone tried a superbike handlebar conversion on the SS yet?

My tours are mostly 150 - 250 mile trips with as little pauses as possible (refuel, take a piss and go), 5 minutes max. And right now, it puts quite a strain on my wrists.
I know it's probably my weight as I'm a bit of a fatso, coming in at 115 kg @ 1,88 m (In Fluffy Iglesias's 6 levels of fatness I'd probably be "healthy" :ROFLMAO:) but it is what it is and probably won't change that much in near future.
And only thinking about my planned 2500 mile trip through France next year with at least 250 - 350 miles per day makes my wrists ache already.

I already tried raising the clip-ons by 20 mm with the Ducabike aluminium spacers, but it's not enough. So I'm openly thinking about committing the ultimative sacrilege and replace the clip-ons with a superbike handlebar to get a slightly more upright position and to relieve my wrists a bit.
Has anyone here already done the unspeakable and installed such a handlebar?

@Ed K I didn't quite find the correct subsection in the forum to post this in. If you have a better one, please feel free to move this thread.

View attachment 46829
Starting to look horribly like justification for the Multistrada....hmmm.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know. Tbh, I'm kinda eyeballing the Multistrada V2S, but I just can't cope with the look and the weight of it. I need some sort of Multistrada/Supersport hybrid :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruise control would sure be nice for Autobahn riding and sticking to the speed limit in the cities, but I usually ride in the twisties, where I try to avoid straights as much as possible. Cruise control wouldn't help that much there as I couldn't use it that often. Maybe on 20-30 miles in total on my favourite 170 mile lap.
But yeah. It would still be nice to have and it should've been on the bike by default.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The fact that Ducati makes a bike with a Touring ride mode - without cruise - is pretty ridiculous.

Especially annoying when I ride with my buddy on his KTM 890 R - with a Track mode - that does have cruise!

🙄

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While a CC would be nice, I'd take a 4-5 liter bigger fuel tank over a CC.

Reactions: theresanothersteve

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a fan of those throttle locks. I hoped you had someone who can retrofit the Multistrada CC to the SS.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
@Invincible I've got a clothespin throttle lock. They work much better than the thumb-lock style. Throttle locks work OK if the road isn't too hilly. But typically, only a couple of minutes at a time is enough to rest the my right wrist and hand (and that's typically on straight highways). One caution, once when I was riding the plastic clothespin lock got stuck behind the brake lever, that could've been a bad situation.

I recommend the larger metal ones with a tension thumbscrew. They're cheap on eBay/net. You won't lose much $$ to give it a try.

·
Registered
2021 Supersport 950
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will try it in the future. I think I'd be happy to have anything at hand for my trip to france next year. I thought about these Atlas throttle locks, but as any throttle locks illegal in Germany, I need something which I can make disappear in a couple of seconds.

Still, given the feedback (or lack thereof) I recon that no one here has replaced the clip-ons of the SS with a handlebar?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Will try it in the future. I think I'd be happy to have anything at hand for my trip to france next year. I thought about these Atlas throttle locks, but as any throttle locks illegal in Germany, I need something which I can make disappear in a couple of seconds.

Still, given the feedback (or lack thereof) I recon that no one here has replaced the clip-ons of the SS with a handlebar?
this

I'm not sure why they should be illegal? It's not like a rider can't close the throttle with his hand even when it's "locked". But I did write that one time the smaller plastic one did get stuck under the brake lever. I still had enough strength in my hand to overcome it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting Hood

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Sleeve

I have a Kaoko. Hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. Handy for giving your hand a five minute rest. Or, for long boring highways when I don't care if my speed fluctuates by 10 mph.

It's a pity Throttlemeister aren't still in business. Those were virtually undetectable.

I guess you could always throw a glove over it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
This post got me wondering whether I could fit the Throttlemeister from my VFR to the SSS. Short answer, yes. I had to make new expansion fitting for the 10mm bolts, and a thrust spacer I made from PVC pipe. It works better than the Kaoko. Looks much better, it would be a very knowledgeable cop who could identify it as a throttle lock - I hate that description, it doesn't 'lock' the throttle. It just prevents the return spring closing it. The rider can easily overcome it. As an added benefit they're significantly heavier and help with handlebar vibration.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system

1 - 20 of 22 Posts