Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks like a very cool bike to ride!
This appears to occupy the same segment as our SS, but smaller/lighter. I would be concerned about the fairing, as it looks to be positioned too low to break the wind to your chest.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The Aprilia RS models are purpose built sport bikes. For Aprilia I think the Tuono line is more of the same segment as the SS.

The RS660 is intended to compete with the R6, CBR650, etc. Small, light, nimble, race fairings. It's designed to be a class competitor middleweight/600CC sportbike.

I think that's what Ducati did wrong with the SS, it didn't slot it into an existing segment, so no-one knows what to compare it to - it's never as fast as the sport bikes, it's never as comfortable as the touring bikes, and all the dedicated sport-tourers outclass it in features, horsepower, carrying capacity and wind protection.

Don't get me wrong, if you could only have one motorcycle, I think the SS is hands down the best real-world, all around "riders" bike being made right now by any major manufacturer - because it's the best combination of the sport and sport-touring features out there. It's really that "one" bike that does everything you want really well. Almost as nimble as a dedicated 600CC sport bike, almost as comfortable as a dedicated sport-tourer, with enough carrying capacity to take you out for a week or more of travelling.

The Ducati engineers were given "free reign" in the parts bin to make their best bike and we got the SS. The problem is that motorcycle media has everyone convinced they want a class leading bike, or with class leading features, and the SS isn't in a class.

·
Registered
524 Posts
For Aprilia I think the Tuono line is more of the same segment as the SS. The RS660 is intended to compete with the R6, CBR650, etc. Small, light, nimble, race fairings. It's designed to be a class competitor middleweight/600CC sportbike.
For a bike to be in the Supersport 600 class it must make some horsepower and the RS660's 100 HP won't cut it when it is no lighter than the 3 and 4-cylinder competition. That said, the Tuono version looks to be similar in intent to our SS - the looks of a sport bike without the discomfort; a real-world street motorcycle. Perhaps the SS marketing message was off-target for its market, but this little Tuono will have the same concern, especially with all the bodywork, as it's not a true "naked" bike either.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appears to be class leading(?) light weight at 169kg dry.

Likely aftermarket screens will be available.

I don't see it competing in the Sport Touring arena, or even light sport bike... almost creating a separate class.

Time will tell, but I think it will do pretty well. Little pricey for what's provided...it would do better if a thou less.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Saw a blurb about this bike this morning. Very interesting, looking forward to seeing one in person.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
524 Posts
Appears to be class leading(?) light weight at 169kg dry.

Likely aftermarket screens will be available.

I don't see it competing in the Sport Touring arena, or even light sport bike... almost creating a separate class.
The reported 169 Kg dry is 372 lbs; add another 50 lbs of battery and fluids to get a roughly 400-410 lb curb weight, which is not porky, but also may not be class leading when the Yamaha MT-07 is at 403 lbs wet. I do see the Tuono 660 competing in both the naked and light sport touring segments, as it has product features common to both. The only elements the SS has that are truly different are its larger fairing and bigger engine. I really like the new Tuono, just as I do the SS - both are standout designs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 660 is aimed more at the “twin cylinder” classes of racing. It would be up against SV650’s, FZ07’s etc. It’s not meant to compete in “super sport” classes that are made up of 600 cc inline fours. Which, are a dying segment of the market.

I love my RSV4 and if I can pull it off, I’d gladly add the 660 to my quiver. I think it would be a blast on some of the smaller tracks we have in TX.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The reported 169 Kg dry is 372 lbs; add another 50 lbs of battery and fluids to get a roughly 400-410 lb curb weight, which is not porky, but also may not be class leading when the Yamaha MT-07 is at 403 lbs wet. I do see the Tuono 660 competing in both the naked and light sport touring segments, as it has product features common to both. The only elements the SS has that are truly different are its larger fairing and bigger engine. I really like the new Tuono, just as I do the SS - both are standout designs.
What the SS has which I’m not sure the RS660 has is a really comfortable seat.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What the SS has which I’m not sure the RS660 has is a really comfortable seat.
Yes, it appears so, plus handlebars located much higher for comfort, though the concept Tuono model addresses that issue. The RS model is really handsome, challenging the MV F3 for "most beautiful bike " honors.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 660 is aimed more at the “twin cylinder” classes of racing. It would be up against SV650’s, FZ07’s etc. It’s not meant to compete in “super sport” classes that are made up of 600 cc inline fours. Which, are a dying segment of the market.

I love my RSV4 and if I can pull it off, I’d gladly add the 660 to my quiver. I think it would be a blast on some of the smaller tracks we have in TX.
Please god have made it a 649cc Aprilia. If it's a true 660, it isn't going comply with many organization's twin classes.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking bike, but the purple is a bit much, imo...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Nice looking bike, but the purple is a bit much, imo...
Aprilia paint has always been a love-hate deal. Flat black and bright neon colors. They just won't make a Ferrari-Ducati RED bike.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
453 Posts
If I didn't already own the best mild powered sport bike I would seriously consider the RS-660. The SS939 surely looks to be more comfortable for longer touring but the RS 660 looks sweet for shorter rips on the canyon roads, not that the SS isn't since we all know it is. The paint scheme is ok but I could do without the blue/purple-ish tank and nose. I have always felt for me, 5'5" & 140lbs, 100hp or so is plenty and the lighter the better. After owning a V4 Honda 400RR with 65hp and absolutely having a blast on it every ride the RS looks to be another perfect small displacement sport bike for those who understand that 180+hp 1000cc bikes are not necessary to have fun carving tracks or canyon twisties...:wink2:

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I didn't already own the best mild powered sport bike I would seriously consider the RS-660. The SS939 surely looks to be more comfortable for longer touring but the RS 660 looks sweet for shorter rips on the canyon roads, not that the SS isn't since we all know it is. The paint scheme is ok but I could do without the blue/purple-ish tank and nose. I have always felt for me, 5'5" & 140lbs, 100hp or so is plenty and the lighter the better. After owning a V4 Honda 400RR with 65hp and absolutely having a blast on it every ride the RS looks to be another perfect small displacement sport bike for those who understand that 180+hp 1000cc bikes are not necessary to have fun carving tracks or canyon twisties...:wink2:
I. too, like this new Aprilia, but so did I like my MV F3 675 until it was my only bike and I no longer lived where there were an abundance of curvy roads nearby. That racer riding position is not compatible with flat, straight road riding at all. The Tuono version, however, looks pretty good to me, but not so good it would displace the SS.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
453 Posts
I. too, like this new Aprilia, but so did I like my MV F3 675 until it was my only bike and I no longer lived where there were an abundance of curvy roads nearby. That racer riding position is not compatible with flat, straight road riding at all. The Tuono version, however, looks pretty good to me, but not so good it would displace the SS.
Funny you say it reminds you of your MV F3 because I was thinking same thing. I rode a friends MV F3 800 and thought it was a great middle weight sport bike. So slim and light and pretty darn quick and sexy looking. I really liked it. The more forward racer position was never an issue for me however my recently broken wrist may say otherwise now...:crying: The SS is still my choice as well but if I get the chance to test ride the RS 660 I will definitely give it a whirl...:smile2:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts