Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer tells me that Ducati Italy have requested (well strongly requested) that they never refer to the Supersport as SS.

Why? Italy has a problem with the the mention of SS.

Check your history.. it doesn't invoke pleasant memories.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cant say im surprised with all that has been going on and how much in the spotlight things like this can get. Small sacrifice but I can live with it. But that makes you think about everything else that's called an SS. Chevy SS is another one I can think of.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's understandable for those living in the Bologna area in particular.

The Marzabotto massacre was a World War II war crime consisting in a mass murder of at least 770 civilians by Nazis, which took place in the territory around the small village of Marzabotto, in the mountainous area south of Bologna. It was the worst massacre of civilians committed by the Waffen SS in Western Europe during the war

In reprisal for the local support given to the partisans and the Resistance between 29 September and 5 October 1944, SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Reder led soldiers of the SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 16 to systematically kill hundreds of people in Marzabotto. They also killed numerous residents of the adjacent Grizzana Morandi and Monzuno, the area of the massif of Monte Sole (part of the Apennine range in the province of Bologna).
Historians have struggled to document the number of victims: some sources report up to 1,830 victims; others estimate 955 people killed. Today, the Peace School Foundation of Monte Sole reports 770 victims. This number is close to the official report by Sturmbannführer Reder, who reported the "execution of 728 bandits". Among the victims, 155 were less than 10 years old, 95 were aged 10 to 16, 142 were over 60 years old, 454 were male, 316 were female and five were Catholic priests.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for that bit of history, that's tragic.. It does make sense as to why they would want to part from the "SS" reference after reading that.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Italians are big on the family, it's the most important thing in their lives. Very few families were left untouched by the actions of certain fractions of the German Army in WWII.

Italians are also some of the most friendly welcoming people on the planet, they will welcome you into their homes and share their food and wine with you. Whatever your nationality, colour or religion. They do not have any issues with Germans or any other nation and certainly do let bygones be bygones, but I can imagine it would seem to most to be disrespectful to name a product after such an evil group of people, particularly when there really isn't any need.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's like fawlty towers, don't mention the war. For me ss is the obvious abbreviation of supersport and has nothing to do with a nazi bandit organisation some 70 years ago. Not meaning any disrespect.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It's like fawlty towers, don't mention the war. For me ss is the obvious abbreviation of supersport and has nothing to do with a nazi bandit organisation some 70 years ago. Not meaning any disrespect.
Not disrespectful at all. In fact I owned a 600SS in the mid 90's and it was known as an SS. Same brand and same me. However, I do understand how the europeans refrain from using the abbreviation of SS. I have lived and worked in Germany (Berlin) and they are not so proud of that past but they do not try block it out like the UK as if it never happened. Here in SA, famous for its astrocities, we speak openly about the past, because speaking is healing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts