Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the topic regarding clutch replacement, I'm curious about battery life. This is of interest since access to the battery isn't practical to get a jump start when stuck in some remote area. So a preventative replacement would make sense. I have '17 model with 24k miles, I keep it on a charger. The battery seems strong but as we know, that means nothing for motorcycle since the batteries usually fail with little warning.

Has anyone replaced their battery? If so, at what age/mileage?

Does anyone have insight as to when is best time to replace?

I'm sure this would of interest to the community.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I replaced the battery on my 939 at 3 years and 36k mls. But only because it was included in the service contract that was about to expire.

Cheap insurance to swap it out when you next have the fairing off.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If you are concerned John, I would replace it. Planned preventative maintenance is better than reactive maintenance - a few dollars outlay for peace of mind (y)

Reactions: WittyBoi

·
Registered
520 Posts
Too many factors John. I got 36k mls. But most of my rides are 150 mls plus. With just one or two starts. I'm sure it would be different if I was commuting and starting every 20 mls. Also, my bike isn't used in winter and spends that time on a Battery Tender.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 2017 SS sat at the dealership for several years unmaintained, then the previous owner had it for a year and 1500 miles, then I had it. I had to replace the battery at 2000 miles but I would attribute this to neglect.
My 2022 is still showing lots of voltage at 4500 miles. I had it on a tender all winter and now I'm riding pretty often.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember in the old days that batteries used to be pretty robust and unless defective, would usually outlast the warranty by a good margin. Those old Die Hards would go double, 36 months was good for 5 or 6 years. Now if I get a 36 month battery (which is usually the max), I don't count on making 3 1/2 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts