Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I like my Beeline. I'd like to install mine like yours because I almost lost mine when the rubber band broke. I don't have the fancy mount that you drilled out. I didn't quite get it when I see zip ties and double sided tape. :unsure:

OK, you zip tied and used tape on the special mount you had? Since I don't have the optional mount to modify, I'll have to think of more ideas.

One hint, my phone runs down quickly with GPS/Beeline, I need to keep it plugged in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I like my Beeline. I'd like to install mine like yours because I almost lost mine when the rubber band broke. I don't have the fancy mount that you drilled out. I didn't quite get it when I see zip ties and double sided tape. :unsure:

OK, you zip tied and used tape on the special mount you had? Since I don't have the optional mount to modify, I'll have to think of more ideas.

One hint, my phone runs down quickly with GPS/Beeline, I need to keep it plugged in.
Hi John,
its the mount that came in box.
Not the rubber band mount but the other with adjustment that i cut the ears of.
You can se the mount in the first pic.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
@Phantomiro

Thanks for the illustration. When I got my Beeline I was experimenting where to fit it and had popped it on with the rubber band and had forgotten there was more hardware with the kit. After seeing your installation, I finally found the kit but didn't have the swivel mount that you were using. I did have an aluminum handlebar mount that rings together with allen screws and has three sizes of rubber inserts.

So I used this set up to replace the rubber band mount in the same spot on the left handlebar between the thumb control and the clutch lever. I find the ring mount will fit with the middle sized rubber insert. Much more solid now. I prefer the left side because I can use my left hand/thumb if I need to control the unit.

The Beeline/GPS/Bluetooth does run down my phone battery quickly. And my Beeline won't work when the battery saver is on. I've never messed with the under seat USB, have no idea how it works, and don't like to remove and reinstall the seat; therefore, I keep an external battery in my tankbag that I keep plugged to my phone. It's handy for cameras too. But it's another thing I need to charge overnight, given the external battery, Beeline, phone and camera(s). Lots of little chargers and cords.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I must be missing something. For the life of me, I can't see the advantage over mounting my phone in roughly the same position. I can think of a few disadvantages; my phone can be connected to the bikes charger; it can provide, nav directions and hazard warning, radar info, crowd sourcing info, and music.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I must be missing something. For the life of me, I can't see the advantage over mounting my phone in roughly the same position. I can think of a few disadvantages; my phone can be connected to the bikes charger; it can provide, nav directions and hazard warning, radar info, crowd sourcing info, and music.
The Beeline is just a dongle that connects to the smartphone by Bluetooth app. It gives essential and intuitive directions when proceeding on your route with pointers and mileage countdowns, it's weather resistant and the size of a wristwatch face taking very little room. The software app works well and quickly recalculates when you alter from the prescribed route. The smartphone is safe from the weather in the tankbag or pocket. I can just leave the Beeline on the bike and don't have to worry about taking it with me like I would a mounted phone.

I've never warmed up to GPS and map graphics when I ride. I just want to know which direction to turn at the next juncture. I used to use map notes, write them in sequence and stick the notes in the map pocket of my tankbag. This is a similar thing. The only real draw back with any mapping software is customizing a route by editing deviations from the prescribed route. In the case of Beeline, I need to make waypoints and build one after another until I stop at my destination. It's very cumbersome to start with destination first and alter the prescribed route but that's true for all of the apps I've tried.

I could still use headphones for Bluetooth-ing music from the phone if I wanted to. I personally don't like to listen to music when I ride but I don't know why a Beeline would make any difference in that regard. I didn't know that there was a smartphone cop radar app but I want to get that. So far as switching apps when riding, Gas Buddy, maps, weather, etc., that wouldn't be anything I'd be comfortable with. I'd just pullover and check for those, although I know riders that use a mic with voice commands which again, I didn't care for it but it shouldn't affect the Beeline either.

I don't think Beeline is for everyone, particularly if you like maps and graphics. I find all that distracting and like the simple approach. I keep the general map route in my mind and just need the prompts to keep me on path where I'm going.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The Beeline is just a dongle that connects to the smartphone by Bluetooth app. It gives essential and intuitive directions when proceeding on your route with pointers and mileage countdowns, it's weather resistant and the size of a wristwatch face taking very little room. The software app works well and quickly recalculates when you alter from the prescribed route. The smartphone is safe from the weather in the tankbag or pocket. I can just leave the Beeline on the bike and don't have to worry about taking it with me like I would a mounted phone.

I've never warmed up to GPS and map graphics when I ride. I just want to know which direction to turn at the next juncture. I used to use map notes, write them in sequence and stick the notes in the map pocket of my tankbag. This is a similar thing. The only real draw back with any mapping software is customizing a route by editing deviations from the prescribed route. In the case of Beeline, I need to make waypoints and build one after another until I stop at my destination. It's very cumbersome to start with destination first and alter the prescribed route but that's true for all of the apps I've tried.

I could still use headphones for Bluetooth-ing music from the phone if I wanted to. I personally don't like to listen to music when I ride but I don't know why a Beeline would make any difference in that regard. I didn't know that there was a smartphone cop radar app but I want to get that. So far as switching apps when riding, Gas Buddy, maps, weather, etc., that wouldn't be anything I'd be comfortable with. I'd just pullover and check for those, although I know riders that use a mic with voice commands which again, I didn't care for it but it shouldn't affect the Beeline either.

I don't think Beeline is for everyone, particularly if you like maps and graphics. I find all that distracting and like the simple approach. I keep the general map route in my mind and just need the prompts to keep me on path where I'm going.
Yeh, not for me. But I guess I see the advantage of simplicity. The app I referred to is JBV1 in conjunction with the Valentine V1 detector.

·
Registered
2017 SS RED
15 Posts
Installed my Beeline GPS today.
Check it out.
Oem mount that i did not like that much.
View attachment 46242

Did my own install instead.

Drill holes and cut out bracket ears. 3m tape on back.
View attachment 46243

stripes install……..

View attachment 46244

Attachment with double tape on back.

View attachment 46245

View attachment 46248

Job done.

View attachment 46246
View attachment 46247
Great idea and beautifully executed! Have you also considered the Evotech bracket? That's the one I have and am very happy with it. It's not cheap, I know that.
Water Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I find this is the best spot for me. It's never obscured by the tankbag either.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle

I never considered @Keith Gill radar detector. As many tickets as I've gotten perhaps a Valentine would be worth it. I just didn't like to screw with more stuff but the way I get passed on the roads make me think that many folks use them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I find this is the best spot for me. It's never obscured by the tankbag either.

View attachment 46283

I never considered @Keith Gill radar detector. As many tickets as I've gotten perhaps a Valentine would be worth it. I just didn't like to screw with more stuff but the way I get passed on the roads make me think that many folks use them.
It depends where and how you ride. Most of my riding is rural. The police usually have their radars running constantly. The V1 picks them up at a mile or more. Long before they can get a read. The JBV1 interprets the detector and gives me a audible report of band type and direction. It also reports suspicious aircraft and crowd source info eg I often get 'sneaky police reported 1ml ahead, two thumbs up'. I don't usually exceed the speed limit by much these days. But I think its saved me more than it cost.

In cities, where you get lots of false alerts and cops use laser and instant on radar, it's not much use. For the few times I ride in areas like this I just turn it off and make sure I don't ride faster than the traffic flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts